Type 1 and working

L-Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I need help, I've been working with having type 1 for a few months now, but was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I have been getting hypos and falling ill a lot at work and with it being in retail, my boss is seeing me unreliable and decided to drop my hours.
My question is, do I look for another job as well as keeping this one, or do I see if I can get either PIP or ESA benefits.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you managing your diabetes? Managed diabetes should be no bar to working and your employer should make adjustments to accommodate your management steps.

So my first thought would be to look at what is causing you to get hypos a lot at work and then adjust your management with a view to reducing that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My question is, do I look for another job as well as keeping this one

Even if you look for another job will things be any different @L-Jay , what you need to do is try and address why your having hypo's at work which are effecting your ability to work, hypo's can't be afforded but they can be controlled somewhat and type 1 shouldn't really effect your ability to work.

Maybe keep a detailed bg diary and discuss your results with your DSN who will advise you on adjusting your insulin doses so that you don't hypo as often.

L-Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You won't be entitled to any benefits just for being type 1.

I think your boss may have broken the law by just dropping your hours. Do you have a contracted amount of hours?

Which I do unfortunately, it may be a 4 hour contract however I've been working at 20 - 25 hours and since my hypos started occurring they slashed it to below 12. Yet my boss still doesn't understand my needs as a diabetic in the case of regular injections when it comes to eating.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should approach your boss and discuss it, they should by law, help you to work there.....

But having hypos is down to increased activity or too much insulin, so ideally you need to get clued up with dose adjustment .....

How is your dose adjustment knowledge...

And depending on the nature of the hypo, usually they can be treated quickly and without incident....

L-Jay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have several times discussed it with my boss.
I know my dose adjustments for eat meal that I have though my dietician who I meet. I also use the carb and cals app.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had a try on the Libre, you ma be able to get a trial through the hospital clinic but for your situation being able to do a quick swipe to check you are not heading low might help you avoid hypos a work?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This concerns me.. what insulin are you on?

I know its early days for you but you need desperately to talk to your consultant and dietitian as your eating etc and injections are not in control and need adjusting urgently...

As a T1 you should not need to eat regularly at set times etc if you are on the right insulin and the right doses.

What insulin are you on?

Your employer and contract and your work really needs to be discussed with a Citizens Advice Bureau person. Being ill at work etc can be acted upon by Employers but they must. E fair and in line with legislation.

If you are in retail are you a member of USDAW? Or if you or anybody you live with has house insurance.. has it got legal help included? All the companies or persons above are options of people that could advise you in detail...

iHs

The basal/bolus way of treating bg levels poses lots of problems unfortunately but most employers should take on board that eating some carb or glucose sweets when feeling low should be accepted and not frowned upon.
Novorapid is a very common bolus insulin that has an acting time of about 5hrs so you can't turn it on and off like a tap with water so if balancing bg levels ok means eating a biscuit or whatever in between meals, then so be it.

Unfortunately, to get the right insulin to carb ratio set up, also means testing bg levels every 2.5hrs and adjusting the carb ratio to reach sensible bg tsrgrts before a msin meal and at 2.5hrs later so that might be a difficult option if working in retail standing up a lot or constantly serving customers. The Libre would probably help.

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This r when I get older I was wondering how to manage a job with diabetes

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From my experience you don't need it test every 2. 5 hours to get the ratios right....it's simply just a before meal and before the next meal (when the dose has finished)....so shouldn't cause problems with work....