Type 1, chemo & steroids

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi guys, I had first round of chemo yesterday with Dexamethasone (steroid) IV then tablets over next few days. Blood sugars stayed pretty steady through treatment and a few hours after, but I was very sick in evening and, despite correction doses of insulin / normal basal dose and no food, they contined to climb (11 before bed, 16 this morning)so I presume the steroids are kicking in now. Wondering if anyone has experience of Dexathasone and has any tips, increase basal v correction doses, low carb food you can eat when really nauseous, how long do tablets affect sugars etc?

Thanks x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I had first round of chemo yesterday with Dexamethasone (steroid) IV then tablets over next few days. Blood sugars stayed pretty steady through treatment and a few hours after, but I was very sick in evening and, despite correction doses of insulin / normal basal dose and no food, they contined to climb (11 before bed, 16 this morning)so I presume the steroids are kicking in now. Wondering if anyone has experience of Dexathasone and has any tips, increase basal v correction doses, low carb food you can eat when really nauseous, how long do tablets affect sugars etc?

Thanks x

Cleo, I don't have any wisdom or experience to offer you, but I did just want to wish you well through your treatment and beyond..

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Both my husband and I have been on the chemo merry-go-round. We were always advised that sickness can be controlled. Granted you're taking other medication, which is throwing a spanner in the works. If I were you I'd make a call to your consultant's office, ask for advice. Don't suffer in silence.

Best of luck on your journey!