Type 1 diabetes and alcohol

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
Don't get too drunk you forget to take your insulin.. Happened to me on a few occasions, had a binge weekend and by the Monday I've been in hospital with DKA which is horrible.

Reactions: 2 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've asked this question myself. If you only have a SMALL glass or 2 dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc you should be ok, as long as you have a small snack with it to balance out any drop. Remember to drink lots water before bed and do your checks, if low, have a cracker, but best check with your nurse. I know white spirits and dry wine is best as low carb. Beer, lager and cider has sugar in, so avoid those if poss. Also, as alcohol remains in the system the next day, keep careful watch on levels then too.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
baz is right. Don't drink as much as you used too when you were pre-diabetic either, its wise to cut back anyway because it does catch up with you, but as always every thing in moderation. DKA can be a serious condition exasperated by copious amounts of alcohol. You can buy ketone test strips that are probably a good idea to have around the house. Chin Chin. :)

paul_87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
chewing gum
Me personally ive tried and tested lots of insulin doses, food and alcohol combos. Ive come out fine some times and not so fine other times.

I use Lantus 1 shot 24 hourly and Humalog on demand (carb counting and 10g to a 1.5 ratio)

When im out drinking i drop the dose of my Lantus (i take this 24 hourly around 9pm) for me this works just fine. I 9 out of 10 times eat a decent meal before drinking alcohol too.

I would definitely advise to stay away from alchopops like wkd and smirnoff ice type drinks, they are extremely sugar saturated. Redbull and energy drinks as mixers are also advised to stay away from.

rudios92

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually use an app so i can keep track of how much i drink, I dont know if it might help you guys but if you want , just take a look at the Alcochange app. It helps you track how much you drink and how you feel after drinking too. It helps me , i dont know if it will help you guys but youre free to try it if you want.