Type 1 diabetes and its affect on relationships, snappiness and irritability (part 2)

cbooth5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I did post a similar question 3-6 months ago. I'm doing well with insulin and time in range, but I have an awful time controlling my snappy moments. It's almost always when I go really high or low. I feel as though I am possessed by someone, next thing something is blurted out and it's too late. I'm usually a really nice guy and really calm, collected especially before being diagnosed. Sometimes it isn't the blood sugar and maybe I haven't eaten enough through the day as conscious of time in range.

It really is having a massive affect on my relationship as over Christmas, she pulled away and wanted to stay over less and less as a result if we ate out and had a bad experience etc. We are now gojng through a rough patch. The other week, we discovered what was happening.. I was resenting her for not supporting me but didn't realise I had caused the issue in the first place and the distance. I thought all of the grieving process for T1DM had been done, as I have accepted everything (I think) and its been 8 months since being diagnosed. I feel as though I am working on it but against the clock also.

For example, today me and my partner were talking about our relationship which was a bit stressful. I'm not sure if this contributed as my sugar was 14-15. Then I got impatient about going out for a walk as I needed to drop it asap. I did inject again but with novorapid there is a long lag between correcting the level (about 30 mins).

Any advice for working on this? I am thinking of attending a self-help groups (UK) after Easter and we are considering relationship counselling, if she still wants to work at things. Thanks in advance.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

I did post a similar question 3-6 months ago. I'm doing well with insulin and time in range, but I have an awful time controlling my snappy moments. It's almost always when I go really high or low. I feel as though I am possessed by someone, next thing something is blurted out and it's too late. I'm usually a really nice guy and really calm, collected especially before being diagnosed. Sometimes it isn't the blood sugar and maybe I haven't eaten enough through the day as conscious of time in range.

It really is having a massive affect on my relationship as over Christmas, she pulled away and wanted to stay over less and less as a result if we ate out and had a bad experience etc. We are now gojng through a rough patch. The other week, we discovered what was happening.. I was resenting her for not supporting me but didn't realise I had caused the issue in the first place and the distance. I thought all of the grieving process for T1DM had been done, as I have accepted everything (I think) and its been 8 months since being diagnosed. I feel as though I am working on it but against the clock also.

For example, today me and my partner were talking about our relationship which was a bit stressful. I'm not sure if this contributed as my sugar was 14-15. Then I got impatient about going out for a walk as I needed to drop it asap. I did inject again but with novorapid there is a long lag between correcting the level (about 30 mins).

Any advice for working on this? I am thinking of attending a self-help groups (UK) after Easter and we are considering relationship counselling, if she still wants to work at things. Thanks in advance.
Yes, blood glucose readings can and will affect mood. You have my sympathy. I cannot advice you because I am much older, and now a widow, but others will come along.

Reactions: cbooth5

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

It doesn't happen to me but I have a friend with Type 1 who has a LOT of hypos and highs, and it really does affect her mood, which has affected her relationship with her partner. She gets very irritable and angry.

Reactions: cbooth5