Type 1 diabetic mother worried sick about my 5 year olds sugar levels

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything about diabetes
I have just tested my daughters blood and I am a bit worried about the results. She has literally just finished her tea so it won't have even raised her sugar levels yet but the reading was 7.7 and I'm sure it will raise more in an hour when the carbs from tea kick in. Does this seem raised to you guys? I have noticed recently she has been very giddy and also very hungry that was 1 of the reasons I tested today but quite nervous now of the outcome

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.7 would be perfectly normal blood sugar for immediately after eating.

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is she a diabetic or you just randomly tested her.. 7 is as far as I know just a tad high for a non diabetic .. but not very alarming at all I would ot panic yet repeat it in half an hour and every half hour for a while

Reactions: Odin004

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
She is non diabetic- I on the other hand am type 1 so if I notice anything different in her I test her blood. I will test again later to see but I am slightly concerned

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to test my friends' BS a lot. None of them had diabetes. I found that results in the 7s werent uncommon after eating. One got a 7.8 after a large meal.

So I'd keep an eye on things but not worry for now :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She is non diabetic

Sorry if this sounds rude, but, stop worrying, hen! You're T1 and your're quite right to pay attention to your levels. If your kid is running 7.7 after a meal, that's perfectly normal. You shouldn't fret about that. If she starts drinking litres of water, pissing every twenty minutes, and losing lots of weight, that's when you need to worry and call a doctor. Not now.

I can understand that as you're T1 you're worried that you've passed it on in some way, but it really doesn't work that way. I don't think you should be testing her at all. There's no reason to.

Last edited:

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kellyb8511,

Here is a link confirming the normal blood sugar ranges for non-diabetics; it also confirms the sugar readings used to diagnose diabetes:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

From the information here, 7.7 is not a cause for concern. Personally, I don't see the harm in testing your daughter every so often, if it will give you peace of mind (a couple of hours after a meal) - but try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). Also, if your daughter has been feeling giddy, that doesn't in itself mean diabetes - but no harm in seeing your doctor to establish the cause.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally, I don't see the harm in testing your daughter every so often, if it will give you peace of mind

No, no, no! If the kid is showing none of the typical signs of T1, testing them every so often for the parent's peace of mind is verging on child abuse.

I'm saying that as a civil litigation lawyer with 30 years experience who sits next to a former prosecutor at work and near to a former children's hearing reporter.

I'll never discuss anything said on this site with people who I work with, but I'm pretty sure that if I was to do so in this case, they would tell me that the idea of testing a non-T1 kid for an as yet non-existent condition would have social services crawling all over it.

Stabbing your kid when there are no obvious tells of T1 is causing unnecesarry worry to both of you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just tested my daughters blood and I am a bit worried about the results. She has literally just finished her tea so it won't have even raised her sugar levels yet but the reading was 7.7 and I'm sure it will raise more in an hour when the carbs from tea kick in. Does this seem raised to you guys? I have noticed recently she has been very giddy and also very hungry that was 1 of the reasons I tested today but quite nervous now of the outcome

Hi again.. Does your daughter tell you she "feels giddy & hungry?" Or does she "act" giddy & hungry..
My thoughts are she may have seen you hypo? Thus mimicking what she sees mummy do..? Like kids are....

I play in a rock band & my niece used to "throw horns" when se saw me. like "uncle Jay." (It's a heavy metal hand gesture.)

Children can mimick what they see in what they love & trust...!

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, no, no! If the kid is showing none of the typical signs of T1, testing them every so often for the parent's peace of mind is verging on child abuse.

I'm saying that as a civil litigation lawyer with 30 years experience who sits next to a former prosecutor at work and near to a former children's hearing reporter.

I'll never discuss anything said on this site with people who I work with, but I'm pretty sure that if I was to do so in this case, they would tell me that the idea of testing a non-T1 kid for an as yet non-existent condition would have social services crawling all over it.

Stabbing your kid when there are no obvious tells of T1 is causing unnecesarry worry to both of you.

From @kellyb8511's post, it seems to me that she's already checking her daughter's sugars - and I have to say, I can't agree that a diabetic mother checking her child for diabetes is the wrong thing to do - even if only once every 3 or 6 months; I wouldn't really call it "stabbing". Surely the mother's peace of mind derives from knowing that her child is healthy, especially as are so many undiagnosed diabetics out there. I'm a lawyer also, and as my whole family are doctors, perhaps the odd blood sugar test just doesn't seem like a big deal to me; I like to think I have a fairly informed point of view nonetheless - but, as I said, it's just my personal opinion.

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

To be honest with you Scott I am going to take offence to that comment

She has started showing signs that are very unusual to her, started weeing all the time actually wet herself a few times which she has not done since she was 2 years old along with other things I have noticed. Last time I tested her blood was well over 2 years ago and before that was the day she was born the Drs did it and actually told me to do it approx every 6 months for monitoring purposes. She was fine with the finger prick tiniest bit of blood came out and in fact she was quite proud and excited to watch her reading come on the screen - so far from the regularly stabbed abused child you have mentioned just to keep a neurotic mothers worries at bay

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi again.. Does your daughter tell you she "feels giddy & hungry?" Or does she "act" giddy & hungry..
My thoughts are she may have seen you hypo? Thus mimicking what she sees mummy do..? Like kids are....

I play in a rock band & my niece used to "throw horns" when se saw me. like "uncle Jay." (It's a heavy metal hand gesture.)

Children can mimick what they see in what they love & trust...!

Hi Jaylee, she has just been acting giddy and is constantly in the fridge and asking for drinks - even tho she is only having a sip (far from the gallons I drink when bs is high!) she has been going to the toilet more aswell but before hand it was always a struggle to get juice and food in her - maybe it's just a growth spurt I'm at the Drs on Monday for a check up on myself so I will just mention it to him

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To be honest with you Scott I am going to take offence to that comment

She has started showing signs that are very unusual to her, started weeing all the time actually wet herself a few times which she has not done since she was 2 years old along with other things I have noticed. Last time I tested her blood was well over 2 years ago and before that was the day she was born the Drs did it and actually told me to do it approx every 6 months for monitoring purposes. She was fine with the finger prick tiniest bit of blood came out and in fact she was quite proud and excited to watch her reading come on the screen - so far from the regularly stabbed abused child you have mentioned just to keep a neurotic mothers worries at bay

@kellyb8511 , my sincere apologies. It came across a bit initially as a T1 mum getting a bit paranoid, but as you say, if there's some weeing and drinking going on and on doctor's advice, good. Sorry, honestly.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee, she has just been acting giddy and is constantly in the fridge and asking for drinks - even tho she is only having a sip (far from the gallons I drink when bs is high!) she has been going to the toilet more aswell but before hand it was always a struggle to get juice and food in her - maybe it's just a growth spurt I'm at the Drs on Monday for a check up on myself so I will just mention it to him

She's 5? Take her along by all means.... The "old" couldn't get a baby sitter?" Consult your doc regarding your concerns about your daughter.
He may do some tests on her too... That will "officially" belay any worries on your behalf. :)

On a personal note. @Scott-C is a good guy! I hope @kellyb8511 you can give the man a chance..? (Just the one "break.") I had no idea Scott was into law.. Well done you! (I direct "patronisation" to Scott. ;))