Type 1 Father - odds of passing onto children?

alex200274

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Im a Type 1 and have been for the past 22 years (diagnosed at 16).

My wife and I are expecting twins and I was curious if anyone was aware of what the probability is for children inheriting the condition.

My wife is not diabetic but I wasn't sure if the probability was increased based on the parents status (i.e. female or male having higher or less odds of passing on the condition)..

I'm the first one in my family that has diabetes, so as far as I'm aware there is no history on my side. Again I didn't know how this influenced the odds. I was also told that the disease often skipped a generation?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

When my son was diagnosed T1 in his late teens, I asked every branch of the family except my mother's because she was deceased and I had lost touch with her relatives. No one knew of any diabetics in their families. The mystery was solved three years ago when I was diagnosed T1.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
alex200274 said:
Hello Im a Type 1 and have been for the past 22 years (diagnosed at 16).

My wife and I are expecting twins and I was curious if anyone was aware of what the probability is for children inheriting the condition.

My wife is not diabetic but I wasn't sure if the probability was increased based on the parents status (i.e. female or male having higher or less odds of passing on the condition)..

I'm the first one in my family that has diabetes, so as far as I'm aware there is no history on my side. Again I didn't know how this influenced the odds. I was also told that the disease often skipped a generation?

Hi :wave: I have been diagnosed just a year more than you. When I had my child 11 years ago, I was told that if I were Type 2 the chance of passing it on is much higher, but being type 1 doesn't have such a high risk. A very close 2 1/2 old relative of mine was diagnosed Type 1 last year :( my uncle and and his mum(my gran) both had type 1. So it can skip generations. Best wishes RRB

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
For what its worth, it seems totally random in my family:

my grandparents generation: 1 x T1
my mothers generation: 3 xT2
my generation: 2 x T1, 1 xT2 (moi, although more are sure to be added later I bet)
my kids generation: 1 xT1

And for the only diabetics so far who had a child with diabetes, it was a different type.

I can draw no scientific conclusions from all this except: diabetes can run in families. (It can also be caused by a virus)

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
no it not passed on cause no one in my family had it b4 me and ure not bnorn with it its not in the genes of parents r mother so my ans is no ure twins will be fine