Type 1: Hypo during shower

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
I'm newly diagnosed so I'm not sure if this could mean you're having a hypo but most of the time when I shower, my legs become bright red and feel prickly when the water hits them. I always test my glucose levels after and I'm always having a hypo. Is this a sign? Has anyone else experienced it?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm newly diagnosed so I'm not sure if this could mean you're having a hypo but most of the time when I shower, my legs become bright red and feel prickly when the water hits them. I always test my glucose levels after and I'm always having a hypo. Is this a sign? Has anyone else experienced it?

I would say that the redness and prickliness is more likely to be due to the shower itself.

Hot water can make your body absorb insulin more quickly, leading to lower sugars. Keep an eye on it and maybe test before getting in the shower and keep something like Lucozade nearby.

Reactions: KezG and Eireannn

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Showers can drop my blood sugar like a stone. If you inject insulin close to showering, the heat from the shower can make the insulin a ton more effective.

I generally either split my insulin so I have some before showering but then do the rest afterwards or I shower before injecting insulin...

Once you've realised it's a "thing" it's easier to deal with and sometimes a shower or hot bath is a great way to stop your blood sugar spiking after a high carb meal or if your bolus timing wasn't great and the food is overtaking your insulin causing a big spike.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Didn't know that! Thank you very much :)

Reactions: azure