Type 1, pregnant and retinopathy

Florence_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Sorry, not a regular poster, but freaking out a bit and don't know where else to go with my worries!

This is my second baby and my first pregnancy 3 years ago was so straightforward, other than the birth - but that's a different story. However this time round being 3 years older, 3 years longer diabetic (22 years next week) and 2nd time pregnant seems to be taking it's toll on my eyes. My control has always been a bit hit and miss, but much better the last ten years or so with Hba1c usually around 7. I've had background retinopathy for about 12 years.

I went for my usual annual eye screening when only a few weeks pregnant and they wrote to me a few days later saying I now have pre-proliferative retinopathy and was being referred to the hospital. I immediately panicked but was seen by the hospital fairly quickly and was reassured by the consultant who gave the impression there was nothing really to worry about and that they were just being over cautious, especially because I am pregnant, and to come back in 2 months. Went back this week and things seemed to be rather more serious. The same consultant said she had concerns about some suspicious looking vessels and that she was going to book me in to come back in a month, and that the appointment would be with the laser clinic so that she could do it there and then if required. I asked if my eyes had got worse and she said no, but why would she want me to come back sooner and book me into the laser clinic if that was not the case? Also the original concern seemed to just be with the right eye whereas this time she implied both. She also ran through the risks of losing some peripheral vision and my driving license, which of course totally panicked me and I've been in a worried state ever since.

I feel like I've brought it on myself being complacent and assuming another pregnancy would be as easy and straightforward as the first despite my increased age (now over 35). I was so lucky and happy with having just one child that I feel I've been greedy having another and these are my consequences! And also it's affecting my pregnancy and my bond with the baby, I feel so guilty just wondering whether I should have done it all again!

Anyway, the point of my post is really to look for advice from anyone who's been through it. Am I likely to lose my vision and driving license? If not now at some point in the future now that I'm on this slippery slope? And also has anyone else had a difficult pregnancy and felt this way about regretting pregnancy and bonding with the baby?

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Florence_13 I think that you've just been unlucky. When I had my eye tests during pregnancy, I was told that retinopathy could even affect pregnant ladies with good control.

There are ladies here who've had retinopathy in pregnancy. I've found one thread for now, but there are more:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pregnancy-background-retinopathy.106621/#post-1265309

I'm also going to tag @noblehead as although he's obviously never been pregnant, he does have good information about retinopathy and can hopefully reassure you.

All I can say is to focus on your baby and yourself. Think of this as not anything connected to your baby, but as connected to the systematic effects of pregnancy and simple bad luck.

I hope all goes well and send you my best wishes XX

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Florence_13

Anyway, the point of my post is really to look for advice from anyone who's been through it. Am I likely to lose my vision and driving license?

The Ophthalmologist was correct in saying that you may lose some peripheral vision, but that alone doesn't mean you will automatically lose your driving licence.

The DVLA will ask you to attend a field vision test and depending on the results they will then decide whether your fit to drive, I've had a few laser sessions and although I do have some blind spots in my peripheral vision (in one eye) it's not enough to prevent me from driving and I still get issued with a 3 year licence, so try not to worry @Florence_13

You may/may not have seen this website before but it's a great resource for advice and information on diabetic retinopathy, have a good read around but don't forget you can discuss your concerns with the Ophthalmologist prior to your laser surgery:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/pregnancy.htm

Hope everything works out well, good luck.

Reactions: azure