Type 1 & Weight Loss Medication

LaurenK21xo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, been to see my Dr after recent bloods to determine why I have gained over a stone in four weeks since upping insulin therapy.

Have been eating low calories & carbs no improvement still piling on the weight, mentally not in a good place over it all as I feel helpless with the situation.
Dr has gotten in touch with Diabetic clinic to get approval for weight loss injections so just waiting on that. Has anyone else as a T1 been in this situation? Did it help at all or was approval an issue?

Also to note, all bloods were good, HbA1C was 54 - no issues with thyroid etc, liver function was a bit high however Dr has put this down to weight increase.

Thanks!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
.... gained over a stone in four weeks since upping insulin therapy.

..... eating low calories & carbs

.....HbA1C was 54 -----
Well done for keeping your HbA1c at 54!!! I have no experience of weight-reducing-medication. However, I would suggest that you keep an eye on any side-effects, if you decide to start the injections.

Since you are eating low carbohydrates, that would mean correspondingly low amounts of insulin. So what is the reason for "upping insulin"? Unless you are having larger carbohydrates/insulin ratios?

Are you also having lots of hypos? I am not trying to advise you because your Diabetes Team will do that. However, in my case, I put on weight if I have unusually high frequency of hypos. All the Dextrose and sugary drinks to correct those caused my weight to increase.

LaurenK21xo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for keeping your HbA1c at 54!!! I have no experience of weight-reducing-medication. However, I would suggest that you keep an eye on any side-effects, if you decide to start the injections.

Since you are eating low carbohydrates, that would mean correspondingly low amounts of insulin. So what is the reason for "upping insulin"? Unless you are having larger carbohydrates/insulin ratios?

Are you also having lots of hypos? I am not trying to advise you because your Diabetes Team will do that. However, in my case, I put on weight if I have unusually high frequency of hypos. All the Dextrose and sugary drinks to correct those caused my weight to increase.
Thank you! Was having a couple post meal spikes in readings so Dr upped my dosages for around 56g of carbs a day I'm injecting about 48 units of Novorapid and 29 Lantus to combat it, changed it all in February and since unfortunately had the rapid weight increase that wont budge.

Not really having any hypos, maybe one or two a week at most.