Type 1'stars R Us

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did wonder if the nurse didn't know how to take it manually, but who knows. The Consultant didn't mention it, so neither did I!! It will be interesting to see if the surgery have anything to say when they get the hospital letter.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my diabetes appointment today and my doctor confirmed my latest HbA1c was indeed 40 mmol/mol. Looking at my overall CGM results he was not concerned and very impressed with my result as I am in range for 74% of the time with less than 1% of lows. I was very surprised that 40 is classed as the “non diabetic” range even though I am still very much diabetic :hilarious:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was very surprised that 40 is classed as the “non diabetic” range even though I am still very much diabetic :hilarious:
This is a result of "diabetic" seems to refer to type 2 diabetes over 90% of the time.
"Non diabetic" is really "Non type 2 diabetic" where anything over 48 is considered "diabetic" and everything between 42 and 48 is considered "pre-diabetic". Whoever came up with this classification seems to forget about the other 10% of us who will never reignite our beta cells and stop taking insulin. At least I am not expecting that to happen in my lifetime.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got my new blood glucose meter (always like to keep at least one handy) and my Accu-Chek mobile gave up on me. My hospital consultant had never heard of the meter and didn't seem convinced I would be able to get the test strips on prescription as it wasn't on our area's preferred list of test strips but I took the slip of paper the company provided me with to get it added to my repeats and my local doctors didn't even question it. If you're looking for an all-in-one meter where the test strips and lancets are all combined then I would recommend this meter (Betachek c50). Having been on the Accu-chek mobile for 10+ years I didn't want to go back to plain old regular test strips and meters.

Reactions: Marie 2

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can have great control (hba1c was 40) and yet here I am still suffering with horrible infections. I know it’s probably just a mixture of bad luck and just generally having diabetes but I thought I’d at least get a few less with better control :banghead: Sinus infections are not fun

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M I hope you feel better soon. I hate sinus infections. I have had major allergies since I was a kid and used to get sinus and chest infections all the time. The chest infections went away when I stopped dairy. I have taken Michaels LNG formula for many years, which has a blend of Fenugreek, Mullein, Horehound, Slippery Elm & Thyme. I've escaped infections for a long time, (knock on wood) even though my allergies still drive me nuts. Each herb helps the mucous membranes stay healthy in various ways. We used to sell a ton of just Mullein or Fenugreek alone. I also take CoQ10 with it. I really always hated getting sick.

I hardly got any sleep last night. My blood sugars were staying stubborn and running a little higher than I would like even with extra insulin yesterday. So I switched out my pod. Of course then you never know how much of that extra insulin you took by pump is going to hit. Every 2 hours I woke to my alarms. Why on earth after the 2nd or third time I didn't reduce my insulin is anyone's guess. It didn't ease up until about 6 am. I really hate when the site is not working well, working but not well. It feels like the insulin is just sitting there waiting to hit later. Second pod in a row that decided not to work well. I will not be using the rest of that box! The new pod is working completely fine. New box with a new lot number.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Mrs Urb and I went out for walk yesterday evening and we started to feel lazy about going home to cook so we popped in to our favourite Indian restaurant on the way home. Ate about 8pm and although it was a carby meal, I thought I'd done OK(ish) when my blood glucose was 9.5mmol at midnight. I took another 2 units of fast acting and went to bed.

Fast forward to 07:00 this morning and my fasting level was 20.1mmol. I often struggle with overnight rises but this is a new record for me.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mrs Urb and I went out for walk yesterday evening and we started to feel lazy about going home to cook so we popped in to our favourite Indian restaurant on the way home. Ate about 8pm and although it was a carby meal, I thought I'd done OK(ish) when my blood glucose was 9.5mmol at midnight. I took another 2 units of fast acting and went to bed.

Fast forward to 07:00 this morning and my fasting level was 20.1mmol. I often struggle with overnight rises but this is a new record for me.
Wow, shocker! Most of us have done it I think; I know I have but never quite reached 20 - not far off though ;)

Reactions: urbanracer

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been a hell of a month for me, went from having a cold, to having a sinus infection which then turned into a throat infection. I think my defences are just so low with all of the illnesses that I’ve picked one thing up after another. Hoping for a better week next week where I can feel somewhat normal and well for once!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M That's awful. I hope you feel better soon. Coddle yourself as best as you can and take it easy.

@urbanracer Wow, that was either a horrible guess..... and that certainly happens. Maybe they used a lot of corn starch in a sauce to thicken it or......... who knows sometimes. Or someone once told me when you have a lot of carbs late, your liver parties more and releases a lot more of it's storage sugar into your system with DP because it has a lot more to release? Like if you only have 2 beers, you only give one away or none at all, but if you've got a case of 12 you freely share more easily because you have more?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Good to see you posting again @urbanracer
Have you worked out what you didn't give enough insulin for?
Not really - I shared a portion of rice with Mrs Urb, had a couple of Onion Bahjee. As I said above, the fact that I was below 10 some 4 hrs later made me feel like I was doing reasonably well.

@Nicola M That's awful. I hope you feel better soon. Coddle yourself as best as you can and take it easy.

@urbanracer Wow, that was either a horrible guess..... and that certainly happens. Maybe they used a lot of corn starch in a sauce to thicken it or......... who knows sometimes. Or someone once told me when you have a lot of carbs late, your liver parties more and releases a lot more of it's storage sugar into your system with DP because it has a lot more to release? Like if you only have 2 beers, you only give one away or none at all, but if you've got a case of 12 you freely share more easily because you have more?

I had a few good days but last night was a problem again, Had a bit of Lasagne and was at 6.0mmol when I went to bed 4hrs later. This morning I was at 14.7mmol. The only way I seem to be able to stop it is to have a very low carb meal in the evening.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It gets better…. NOT :hilarious: Had a fall down the stairs today, baby gate at top and bottom. Was rushing to shut the top gate as I was going down because my niece was following behind me and I didn’t want her to fall so ended up falling myself. Went into/over the gate at the bottom and hit my head on the floor. A lot of screaming from me and my almost 2 year old niece later who watched me fall and I was able to get off the floor. Have come to A&E and look to have escaped major injury, just a lot of bruises, a big lump on my head and possible broken/sprained finger!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It gets better…. NOT :hilarious: Had a fall down the stairs today, baby gate at top and bottom. Was rushing to shut the top gate as I was going down because my niece was following behind me and I didn’t want her to fall so ended up falling myself. Went into/over the gate at the bottom and hit my head on the floor. A lot of screaming from me and my almost 2 year old niece later who watched me fall and I was able to get off the floor. Have come to A&E and look to have escaped major injury, just a lot of bruises, a big lump on my head and possible broken/sprained finger!!
Oh no!