Type 1'stars R Us

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One of my siblings is currently pregnant (29 weeks roughly now) and has just had her glucose test and has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It’s strange having someone else in the family with diabetes as no one but me has any form of diabetes.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M I've read that gestational diabetes means you are more at risk of either developing type 1 or type 2 later. It seems to be a sign that there is a tendency for a person to develop diabetes, and it used to be assumed that they were more prone to getting type 2, but now it's also possible that it's a sign of possibly getting type 1 later. Since type 1 runs in your family you might make sure she is aware of that.

Reactions: Nicola M

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M I've read that gestational diabetes means you are more at risk of either developing type 1 or type 2 later. It seems to be a sign that there is a tendency for a person to develop diabetes, and it used to be assumed that they were more prone to getting type 2, but now it's also possible that it's a sign of possibly getting type 1 later. Since type 1 runs in your family you might make sure she is aware of that.

Thank you for this, as part of her care she was asked if diabetes is in the family and she told them her sibling had it. They’re going to be running some extra tests to check if it was always something she’s had but has been unaware as even with the gestational diabetes she’s had none of the classic symptoms!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, morning @karen8967, good to see you!
I'm guessing everyone's experiencing the not-summer weather to a greater or lesser extent; here in Somerset it's a mudbath in no time when it rains the way it has lately, and more to come. My bgs are affected by high temperatures so I feel as though I'm constantly chasing my tail this year with insulin adjustments up and down for the heat/cold. Anyone else have to do this?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've never noticed weather affecting my BG level. And now we hardly have much change in temps in weather where I'm at. But hot or even warm longer hair washing showers cause my BG level to go up. The warmer the shower the more the increase. I have just gotten used to lukewarm showers.

Reactions: hh1

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before I got my tslim with control IQ I had to do that a lot @hh1 It's easier now, but I'm still mindful of it, especially on the odd hotter day when I'm more likely to go low, and need 5g extra carbs.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Antje77
Sorry you've got rain as well, and yes of course I hope you have a nice day too. Just knew the uk was forecast rain and storms.

Lots of flooding and the usual road closures because of the amount of rain we've had here.

• Hug
Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Hopeful34 ! :joyful:

A thunderstorm right above my head with lots of rain and wind, and a sudden sharp drop in temperature started half an hour ago, very impressive.
I'm doing well enough but one of my poor dogs is terrified so I hope the thunder at least will pass quickly.

I'm sorry to hear about the road closures and flooding, hopefully it won't result in much damage.

Pic of wide eyed shivering little Wolf on my lap. She usually only wants to sit on my lap in winter, when it's very cold.

1691242287941.png

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope the storm didn't last long @Antje77 and you're both ok. Storms can be so frightening for pets, as they don't understand what's happening.
There's been quite a lot of homes and businesses flooded and damaged, and cars stranded in floodwater in this area.
I've stayed in all day, but I've got all my winter clothes on!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a few dogs terrified of thunder. A few were really really bad. At our old house we didn't get it often luckily, but I remember sitting in a bathroom in the middle of the house with loud music with a dog trembling, not on my lap because we always had 18 K (40lb) plus dogs. Although if they could have............

I had a St Bernard that was very scared. I would rush home if I knew there was one going on as things would be knocked all over the place from her trying to find a safe haven. One time I came home to find her on top of a bathroom counter in the upstairs bathroom. St Bernards are not athletic nor limber, she had to have used the toilet maybe to be able to get up there. Not really looking that easy for a 83 kilograms (185 pounds) St Bernard. I read somewhere that dogs are commonly attracted to plumbing fixtures during thunder, they think it has something to do with electric currents if I remember right. She was always trying to climb up on the kitchen sink during one, but never managed that.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, mixed weather here yesterday, enough breaks in the rain to get some gardening done, heavy showers though thankfully no thunder in between. My dog isn't thrilled by thunder but doesn't panic, whereas one of my friend's dogs was with me yesterday and she's quite traumatised by it. She's now old enough to be going a bit deaf so it's not such a problem as it was, but I do hate to see how distressed some dogs become during thunderstorms. It's also the reason I'd ban fireworks for public sale; so many animals have a rubbish time in November - and now so many people think Christmas, New Year or a birthday party are a good reason to set them off. No thanks. Rant over.....for now ;)
Have a good Sunday all, hope the weather's not too bad for anyone, I agree about it being cold, I'm off to find a winter sweater!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning! I am sat in bed and can see blue sky. Hurrah! Yesterday wasn’t as bad as forecast in the end, in fact better here than the previous day which was a wash out. Off to look at the blackberry situation. I like to pick a few kilos to freeze. They come in for my berry/yoghurt breakfasts as a change from frozen raspberries. Plus if we don’t account for the work involved, are nice and free. Hoping to get stocked up this week, as next Saturday husband has a big eye op and will not be available to accompany me. As the areas are a little isolated I wouldn’t feel safe on my own. Fingers crossed.