Type 2 and Alzheimers

carefixer

As this was the subject of today's mailing I thought I would make a comment. About a dozen years ago I was told by my GP that my risk of developing Alzheimers was three times higher than normal as I had diabetes. Now of course I know why, Alzheimers is mainly a trans fat disease these days (it pre-existed diabetes 2 which first appeared in the 1930s) and so if you have type 2 diabetes you must have been eating trans-fats and therefore you are at a much higher risk of developing Alzheimers (see tfx.org.uk).

The most concentrated sources of the offending artificial trans-fats are oils like rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, corn oil and general "vegetable oil".

Why do your dieticians, doctors, consultants and drug companies continually push these dangerous toxins?

Money!
Money!
Money!

Most of these idiots do not know what they are doing, some do.

markd

Just saying 'Alzheimers' is an oversimplification.

In fact, a major type of dementia often lumped with Alzheimers is vascular dementia - it is this latter disease that has a much closer link to T2, since the causes of the protein tables that are associated with Alzheimers are still poorly understood.

The first connection is from the same cause as other circulatory problems that poorly-controlled T2s may face like kidney disease, strokes, heart attacks &c.

The other cause is more subtle - a number of recent studies have found that there is a link between certain vitamin deficiencies - particularly B6, B12 and folate and vascular dementia. Google for b6 b12 dementia and oxford university will find a recent one; supplementation has a marked reduction in neurodegeneration.

Wikipedia has this to say (well down the page) about B12 / Metformin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

The initial drug of choice in T2s is Metformin and it seems that Metformin can lead to a reduction in 'intrinsic factor' in the gut, this can lead to poor uptake of these vitamins.

Research continues, but it seems not a bad idea to think of B6/B12 and folate supplementation if you take Metformin - particularly as you get older, since intrinsic factor output tends to fall with age. Calcium supplementation also helps. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have enough in their diet already, but since many T2s are trying hard to lose weight and improve their IR, a dietary deficiency becomes a bit more likely.