Type 2 and confused

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @ClaireH88 - Are you on any medication for the Diabetes? If so, how long and what dosage.

Hotpepper20000

I had my diabetic review with the nurse today and my hba1c went from 69 in June to 65 end of September.. and I got told off, told it was out of control and it simply isn't good enough. I feel a bit deflated as I have been testing my sugar levels 3 times a day, first thing in the morning it ranges between 8-10, before my lunch and tea anywhere between 5-7. I don't know what more I can do to bring my Hba1c down. It is coming down but just slowly now. How do I bring it down more quickly? Is it even possible? Surely some progress is better than none?
She did try and deter me from the LCHF diet and said I need to eat low fat options and more carbs which annoyed me (I won't be doing this!)
I just don't know what more I can do!
I too have PCOS. I understand what your going through.
I have cut out all grains and intermittently fast. I have found for myself that has lessened my symptoms a great deal.
I also have lost 45 pounds since March.
I know how frustrating it can be to lose weight and control your BG.
With POCS comes insulin resistance and as such it's important to try to increase insulin sensitivity.
For me fasting was the missing link.
If you need some support feel free to PM me.

ClaireH88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ClaireH88 - Are you on any medication for the Diabetes? If so, how long and what dosage.
I am on 300mg Canagliflozin every morning. My HBA1C was 105 December, 77 march, 69 June and 65 September. I was increased to 300mg in March. I have IBS so can't take metformin(even modified release) and Glimepiride made me gain so much weight in a short space of time. The nurse wanted to put me on something similar to Glimepiride but I had to literally beg her not to. I've lost some weight which has been extremely difficult and I don't want to go back to square one. I tested my BG before tea tonight and it was 5.1, so I was again confused as to how I am out of control when I feel like I am slowly but surely going in the right direction?

ClaireH88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have PCOS. I understand what your going through.
I have cut out all grains and intermittently fast. I have found for myself that has lessened my symptoms a great deal.
I also have lost 45 pounds since March.
I know how frustrating it can be to lose weight and control your BG.
With POCS comes insulin resistance and as such it's important to try to increase insulin sensitivity.
For me fasting was the missing link.
If you need some support feel free to PM me.

Thank you Hotpepper, the nurse actually suggested that I am not managing to lose weight because I am not eating enough. I personally don't think I would be able to fast as I have a few wobbly moments if I go too long between meals. I found with my PCOS they gave me a drug to stop my periods after a 2 month non-stop bleed and it made me lose weight whilst I took it. Some google researching led me to find the depo injection to have similar "stuff" in it for want of a better term, so I asked to be put on it. It helped me with my periods and helped me lose quite a bit of weight (37.5lb to date) combined with healthy eating. I have only lost about 7lb in the last 12 months, although the Glimepiride the nurse gave me last year made me gain 14lb and I've since lost that plus another 7lb. It was quite disheartening the way she was speaking to me, like it was poor lifestyle choices that had led to my current situation when my body is literally fighting against me on a daily basis both with PCOS and Diabetes. I think sometimes the NHS should stop and think about what they are saying before they say it to patients. She knows I have other underlying health issues but she ignores them and insinuates I'm just a couch potato who eats junk food and carbs until they're coming out of my ears! As long as I know the truth I suppose that is all that matters.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@ClaireH88 - I was on Dapagliflozin, which is a simular drug to yours. It is obviously working and bringing down your HBA1C slowly. So, I cannot see what the problem is with the Diabetes Nurse? Why do you not test your blood sugars 2 hours after eating? In doing this it allows you see what effect certain foods has on your blood sugars and keep them within range.
A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) and they lose weight, bring down their blood sugars and HBA1C too.
Here is a link:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

ClaireH88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ClaireH88 - I was on Dapagliflozin, which is a simular drug to yours. It is obviously working and bringing down your HBA1C slowly. So, I cannot see what the problem is with the Diabetes Nurse? Why do you not test your blood sugars 2 hours after eating? In doing this it allows you see what effect certain foods has on your blood sugars and keep them within range.
A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) and they lose weight, bring down their blood sugars and HBA1C too.
Here is a link:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

I have only ever been told to test before meals not after. I'm not sure why really. There is no consistency with what I have been advised either, this is the third nurse I have seen due to two others leaving the practice. The first told me I was going to die. The second told me I didn't need to test my blood sugars at all and wasn't sure why I was given a monitor. This one I am hoping had a bad day and I was the last appointment of the day so she took it out on me. I will have to knuckle down with the LCHF diet and see what happens with some more exercise. She said she wants me to get to 59 so it shouldn't be too hard with a bit more effort. Here's hoping anyway!