Type 2 and Diverticulitis

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I visited the forum so bear with me. As the title says, I have Type 2 and Diverticulitis and I'm wondering if anyone else does.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2015 and to start off with I was well controlled using the low carb diet, but then I had my first flare up of Diverticulitis. This knocked me for six and I had to rethink my diet completely. Since then my life has been very stressful (I'm also CEV, perimenopausal and a carer for 2 autistic family members) and all this stress has caused many more flare ups.

Does anyone else combine the low carb diet and the low fodmap diet? I'm stuck in a bit of a rut and would appreciate a bit of input from anyone else in the same situation. Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have diverticulitis and was told by gastroenterology never to let myself become constipated so I found introducing seeds to my diet has helped that.
If i feel I need to I have milled seeds, usually linseed or chia, with greek yoghurt and a few berries once a day and after a few days all,is OK again. I vary the amount of seeds depending on how much I need to go.
Initially I found the advice strange as my problem was urgency and looseness, not constipation but it worked for me.
Since going low carb I have had virtually no flare ups. I think low carb has cured my diverticulitis, even when extremely stressed I don't have symptoms any more.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diverticulitis was discovered when i was hospitalised for an infected inflamed bowel, excruciatingly painful. Then a short time later i was diagnosed with type 2. Having previously done Keto to lose weight, i switched to low carb. Flare ups are very rare over the last 4 years. Basically i ignore it.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had diverticular disease as long as I’ve been T2, both diagnosed at the same time in hospital 14 years ago this week actually! I had nasty abscesses and just avoided having some of my intestines removed. I do keto diet and very rarely have flare ups, in fact the times I do get a “niggle” not full on diverticulitis which is what a flare up is called, diverticular is the disease, is when I’ve maybe eaten something I shouldn’t. I find the keto diet by far the best for controlling both my ailments (along with others lol)

I don’t really get constipated, you can set your clock by me, but on the rare occasion if I miss 2 days without the loo I just take a gentle senna tablet before bed and normal service is resumed next day. I used to use fibre gel in the beginning but it used to make me gag, chia seeds are good for keeping you regular but I struggle with the texture of those when made into puddings etc, you can sprinkle a tiny amount on salads and things but DON’T take the dry by the spoonful into your mouth, very dangerous

Keep your fluid intake up too, I find that helps me a lot

Reactions: jomar_uk and filly

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diverticular disease is one of those stupid situations. Where you have Diverticula in your bowel, it is Diverticulosis when undiagnosed, Diverticular disease when diagnosed, and Diverticulitis when it flares up.

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have DV as well as Diabetes and constantly have trouble going to the loo I hate it grrrr

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avoiding constipation is key. I've no idea what meds you are on, but it's a side effect of a number of BP medications. Personally I take some psyllium husk twice a day which keeps things moving, so to speak...

master CJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have the same problem, Diverticulitis and Type 2 diabetes + I am the carer for my wife (stage 3 cancer, post lung operation, now on chemo). I'm not sure I can answer your question completely but I can certainly relate to your situation and for me, its quite dark! I also suffer from tinnitus which is at times a bit isolating. I find walking helps, especially with a friend or two, or just anyone who will walk with you (assuming you can get out of the house that is)or failing that go alone and set a steps target. This will help move things on/around your system and reduce the propensity for stuff to get stuck. Additionally I use alcohol (sparingly)as I find this helps free things up, I do a couple of weekend nights in the pub, making my pint of beer last as long as I can and then one midweek night as well. I find that eases things a bit + I eat plenty of roughage and stuff like prune yogurts. I also change positions in bed as I feel things getting stuck to try and use gravity to help things allong. Sorry for all the graphic detail! - but it does work sometimes. However, I still get insomnia quite a bit with all the goings on and if I'm not careful I end up peeing glucose all night and realize straight away that I must cut right back on food and booze, which I do the very next day. My experience with Diverticulitis though is that it can delay bowel movements by up to 36 hours, so it's never the problem of the day in question but of the day before, that gets stuck in the system, so you need to always look ahead, especially at weekends and think to yourself on Saturday night, what am I planning to do on Monday, because that is when everything I just consumed might be giving me a hard time, so maybe now is not the time to indulge! Complicated! Anyway, I hope some of this helps...a problem shared is a problem halved. Good luck, Chris.