Type 2 diagnosis

lely

Hi All. Just a quick question. How is type 2 diagnosed, is it blood test or glucose tolerance test.
I'm type 1, but think my hubby my be type 2. his health lately has caused me to make him do BG test for 3 mornings on the run. All between 9.6 and 10.8.

Sent from my E5303 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed by my HbA1c level. Two tests taken a week apart to be certain.

Reactions: lely

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The medics will use a couple of HbA1c tests usually 2 weeks apart (or at least that was my experience). I don;t think that the OGTT is used by many any more (probably because it takes up too much time).
As you probably have a meter anyway you could do your own test on him.. providing you don't mind using up some strips.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would send him to the GP for a diagnosis check. Those readings are high. He should have an HbA1c test.

lely

The medics will use a couple of HbA1c tests usually 2 weeks apart (or at least that was my experience). I don;t think that the OGTT is used by many any more (probably because it takes up too much time).
As you probably have a meter anyway you could do your own test on him.. providing you don't mind using up some strips.
Hi I have a spare meter and bought him some strips for it coz there not same as mine, I know gps tend not to give strips to type2s anyway. he had a blood test not to long ago and was told all was well, well that's what he told me.
I'm beginning to think he hasn't.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
He does not need his doctor to tell him he has Type2 before he goes Low Carb.......... I expect his blood tests was just under the level needed to get labled.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have a spare meter and bought him some strips for it coz there not same as mine, I know gps tend not to give strips to type2s anyway. he had a blood test not to long ago and was told all was well, well that's what he told me.
I'm beginning to think he hasn't.

It is always wise not to rely on doctors saying all is fine. Often you can be teetering on the edge of not being fine. It happens over and over again. It is a better plan to always ask for print outs of test results so you can do your own analysis. Or ask if the surgery puts test results on line. In England all surgeries were asked to do this before April 2016, although some haven't.

What you can do is test him before eating and again 2 hours after first bite and look at the rise. A non diabetic should be almost back to base, and under 7.8.

lely

Yes see two hours after dinner on Tues evening, We both tested I was 6.9,which was a triumph for me, I and he was 10.8. So of course I I was like dog with a bone then. Tested each morning and as started earlier now lower that 9.6. I only wanted him to test coz we've both gained weight in the last year but he's falling asleep at the drop of a hat. A trait of high bgs. Sorry probably too much info.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes see two hours after dinner on Tues evening, We both tested I was 6.9,which was a triumph for me, I and he was 10.8. So of course I I was like dog with a bone then. Tested each morning and as started earlier now lower that 9.6. I only wanted him to test coz we've both gained weight in the last year but he's falling asleep at the drop of a hat. A trait of high bgs. Sorry probably too much info.

Not at all.. we're all share things here.. What was dinner?

lely

Not at all.. we're all share things here.. What was dinner?
We had lasagna, homemade. Made with the 5% mince and sauce from tin toms and passata. I slice of garlic bread. So not particularly fatty or ladden with carbs. I make individual ones and use 1 1/2 sheets of pasta in each. I did use already made white sauce. I never learnt to make that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sounds high but you probably need to test him before and 2h after to see the extent of the spike..
Or send him off for another HbA1c and get the results printed out. I have online access to test results so you could ask your surgery if you could get those. Make life much easier.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was diagnosed on the basis of one HBA1C - but my BG was so high that there was no doubt. A finger prick test done on the same day was over 30.

One of my most annoying symptoms was falling asleep after meals - so do persuade him to have an HBA1C test done - it doesn't cost anything and could save him a whole host of unpleasant problems later on.