Type 2 holiday insurance

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a slightly confused and confusing chat to my holiday travel insurer before coming to an agreement for this year's policy ...
Hip replacement .... no medication or medical advice given in the past 12 months, so no longer applicable. Deleted.
Atrial fibrillation ... ditto.
Skin lesion ... surgery within last 12 months, so although it was a one-off with no further treatment, it stays on the policy.
At this point the policy premium goes down by £11 :)
Pre-diabetes ... "er, hang on, I'll have to ask someone."
Long story short, it goes on the policy to be on the safe side on the grounds that dietary advice (which I've had) might be construed as medical advice (which I haven't had).
Complicated by the fact that in the last 12 months I've gone officially from prediabetic to Type 2, then unofficially back to prediabetic, which is now, but only coincidentally discovered in blood tests for something else which I haven't officially got until I see a neurologist.
Finally it turns out that the statins for my cholesterol control should have been included from the start 6 years ago. Oops ...
The policy premium goes back up by £10.50 :(
All I can say is, thank goodness for 0800 numbers.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the revised policy document arrives ... the premium is as agreed 50p cheaper, but the endorsements are back as they were before -- hip, heart & lesion back on, and no mention of diabetes. I'll just shut up and send the cheque off.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the revised policy document arrives ... the premium is as agreed 50p cheaper, but the endorsements are back as they were before -- hip, heart & lesion back on, and no mention of diabetes. I'll just shut up and send the cheque off.

I might be inclined to want it right. Who needs the strain, at the point of a claim, for something you can deal with now - especially as you have a statutory cooling off period in your favour.

Who are the underwriters?

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I claimed £2000 from my travel insurance in January for hospital admission and treatment abroad.
I have always had travel insurance and its the first claim ever,It was nothing diabetic related.I did ring when I was diagnosed and it didnt add to my payment because Im not on insulin.but its on my documents that Im diabetic on medication and diet control
I had no problem with my claim but I did make sure they knew everything.
I had to pay the hospital myself ,some on admission and the other on discharge,it took a month to get the money back and had to send in bank statements and hospital bills.
I would insist that its documented.

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorted. They had amended the policy but sent me the old one on a pdf file and I didn't notice the old premium or the out of date date on it! :facepalm:
So I'm officially prediabetic, without medication.

Reactions: 6 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Deejay,
I am new to this forum, and trying to understand things. I am bit confused about your stats. 'Type 2 since April 2014, BMI 22, HbA1c 4.6' - all these seem to be good readings and how come you got T2? Then how come you are 'prediabetic' now? I am bit perplexed. I am not yet T2, but seems heading towards it.

Can you throw some light on your own lifestyle, diet, other factors which caused T2?
Thanks in advance

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya @mekalu2k4 . Sorry about the confusion. I'm not sure where I am myself but that happens a lot.
1) Some time in 2013 I was diagnosed prediabetic with an HbA1c figure of 46. I was not overweight. I ate healthy food for a non-diabetic person and got plenty of exercise. I don't know why I was called in to the surgery for a blood test, but I'm glad it happened, otherwise I would have got a lot worse.
2) By following the NHS diet of plenty of "good" carbs and low fat I lost my small spare tyre round the middle, but by April 2014 my HbA1c was 48, tipping me into Type 2. I still felt well and fit but I was getting very thin indeed.
3) In September 2014 I joined this forum, started a low-carb, full-fat diet and in 4 months my HbA1C was 46, putting me back in the prediabetes range (just). I am due for another test in June/July and hope to have reduced my BS further. My weight is good and steady at 70kg.
This gradual rate of reduction seems to be average for thin Type 2's like me. If weight loss is involved, the reduction in BS, usually from higher levels to start with, is often dramatic.
As you say in your posting, you are in good company here and I hope you gain benefit.
*Edit* It's possible I have been mis-diagnosed and am in fact a late-onset Type 1 (LADA), but I won't go there untiI I have to :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pabloincampo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the question of Holidays, as a new T2, how do I cope with a cruise that I am going on that Is all inclusive including all wines and coctails etc.I have a BG meter which I shall take, But as the man said "I can resist anything except temptation"

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
On the question of Holidays, as a new T2, how do I cope with a cruise that I am going on that Is all inclusive including all wines and coctails etc.I have a BG meter which I shall take, But as the man said "I can resist anything except temptation"
There is plenty of food to chose from on a cruise,easy to keep low carb.There is nothing wrong with a glass of wine.
Welcome to the forum.
Read round the threads about food.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hiya @mekalu2k4 . Sorry about the confusion. I'm not sure where I am myself but that happens a lot.
1) Some time in 2013 I was diagnosed prediabetic with an HbA1c figure of 46. I was not overweight. I ate healthy food for a non-diabetic person and got plenty of exercise. ...................
*Edit* It's possible I have been mis-diagnosed and am in fact a late-onset Type 1 (LADA), but I won't go there untiI I have to :)

...Thanks for your reply and am reading between the lines.... Seems there are several possibilities - one can get T2 Diab being lean and having normal stats. If you do not mind me asking, I am particularly interested in knowing 'gene factor'. What about your family and siblings? At what age you have had this problem?

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

I just got back from a cruise around the Med and, there was plenty of food to choose from. main dinner sitting or self serve buffet. I have to say when I'm on holiday, I'm on holiday and eat and drink what I want, still sensible but I drink and eat what I fancy. We cruised with MSC and they are really helpful and eager to please. if eating in the main restaurant and what you have ordered is not what you expected they are happy to change it. A table companion ordered a fish dish that turned out to be spicy and they had brought her a new meal with in minutes. Some days I would order 2 different starters as I couldn't choose between them and 1 day 4 of our table of 8 all ordered 2 mains of lobster tail and the other 4 order a steak main and lobster tail. None of the main meals had huge helpings of carbs, only 1 potato etc. unless it was a pasta dish.