Type 2 Life

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening everyone, I know cereal bars are bad but anyone got any ideas what kind of bars I can eat if needed, as I have to go out & need to carry somat simple in my Bag. Thanks hope everyone's well

If I'm pottering out and about,but not likely to be eating at my usual times, I tend to carry some oatcakes as emergency top-up. They're 6-7g carbs, depending on the variety. (Edited to add - my usual ones are 4.3 per oatcake! Think I was remembering the Ryvita carbs.)

If I'm out for a long walk, then bananas and pom bear crisps are my choice of easy carry food as I wear off the effects of the carbs very quickly when I'm walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
A very Good Morning to all of you on this lovely warm, but slightly overcast, South London morning,

My Fasting Blood Glucose Reading this Morning after ingesting 1 Mug of "Red Mountain" instant coffee with 3 x 5 ml spoonfuls of granulated sugar and 1 x 5 ml spoonful of "Coffeemate" coffee whitener was 7.3 mmol. At 10:13 am it stabilized itself with my abstinence of high-sugar products to 6.2 mmol.

I feel very well but my back is really aching.

Have a lovely day, my lovely friends on www.diabetes.co.uk.

Yours faithfully,

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970 ), Sufferer of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Psychotic Depression, Essential Hypertension, Hypercholesterolaemia, Prostate Gland Abnormalities, Dystonia, Nocturnal Enuresis and Idiopathic Megarectum.

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

A very Good Morning to all of you on this lovely warm, but slightly overcast, South London morning,

My Fasting Blood Glucose Reading this Morning after ingesting 1 Mug of "Red Mountain" instant coffee with 3 x 5 ml spoonfuls of granulated sugar and 1 x 5 ml spoonful of "Coffeemate" coffee whitener was 7.3 mmol. At 10:13 am it stabilized itself with my abstinence of high-sugar products to 6.2 mmol.

I feel very well but my back is really aching.

Have a lovely day, my lovely friends on www.diabetes.co.uk.

Yours faithfully,

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970 ), Sufferer of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Psychotic Depression, Essential Hypertension, Hypercholesterolaemia, Prostate Gland Abnormalities, Dystonia, Nocturnal Enuresis and Idiopathic Megarectum.
Hi Johnny,
I'm sorry to hear you have a bad back - I hope it gets better soon.
I think your FBS reading has to be taken before you eat or drink anything in the morning, even before your cup of coffee.
I was just wondering why you have reverted to taking sugar in your coffee rather than sweeteners? Three spoonfuls of sugar is quite a lot, and will certainly have a detrimental effect on your blood sugar levels.
I hope you have a good day.
Hugs

Reactions: 2 people

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Rons been for his neurology appointment not good news but will let him fill you in when we get back. John you weren't wrong about him he is good .

D

debrasue

Evening everyone, I know cereal bars are bad but anyone got any ideas what kind of bars I can eat if needed, as I have to go out & need to carry somat simple in my Bag. Thanks hope everyone's well
Hi, Maureen!
How about making a bunch of these, wrap each one in clingfilm and store them in the freezer; then you can just grab one and put it in your bag whenever you need to go out.
You could add some chopped 85% chocolate and some extra nuts, bake the whole thing like a flapjack and then cut it into bars, rather than making round cookies...
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/09/peanut-butter-cookies.html
In fact, I think I'll put my money where my mouth is and try this myself this afternoon!:)
Hugs x

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Hi all back from my neurology appointment and the early diagnosis is MS and now awaiting appointment for brain scan to confirm and also doc is requesting a scan of my spinal cord as thinks there is problems with the central nerve
Thanks to all for your continued support and help

D

debrasue

Read an article sometime ago about an overnight condition/effect that can give high fasting reading take another reading say midday (before lunch) and back to normal??
I think you're talking about the liver dump, also known as the 'dawn phenomenon'. This is where your liver 'thinks' your BG levels are falling too low, so it helpfully dumps some glycogen into your bloodstream to keep you going, which elevates your fasting BG levels.
There also seems to be some evidence that the normal early morning release of various hormones into the bloodstream, (including adrenaline and cortisol from the adrenal gland and glucagon and insulin from the pancreas), causes blood sugar to rise in those suffering from diabetes.
Or a high FBS reading might be due to something as simple as a carbohydrate-rich snack consumed before bedtime, or insufficient medication.
I hope this helps! :)

D

debrasue

Hi all back from my neurology appointment and the early diagnosis is MS and now awaiting appointment for brain scan to confirm and also doc is requesting a scan of my spinal cord as thinks there is problems with the central nerve
Oh my goodness! Ron, I am so sorry to hear this - it must be a very nasty shock for you.
I'm glad you have Tina to support you through all this and I suppose there's a measure of relief in knowing that at least you're going to have a proper diagnosis. Hopefully, too, they will have identified this in good time, and there is enormous progress currently being made in the treatment of MS with some excellent results. Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones.
I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love and strength through the airwaves to you and Tina to help you through this.
Huge hugs xxx

Reactions: 5 people

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Oh my goodness! Ron, I am so sorry to hear this - it must be a very nasty shock for you.
I'm glad you have Tina to support you through all this and I suppose there's a measure of relief in knowing that at least you're going to have a proper diagnosis. Hopefully, too, they will have identified this in good time, and there is enormous progress currently being made in the treatment of MS with some excellent results. Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones.
I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love and strength through the airwaves to you and Tina to help you through this.
Huge hugs xxx
Thanks Debs still getting over the shock don't think it's fully sang in yet

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Folks

Not been here awhile but every so often something crops up I feel I should mention and this seems to be the best general discussion thread.

I'm away on holiday on the costa del sol at the moment and I normally test my fbg levels twice a day, a fasting one first thing and one around 18.00 before eating.

I always post my fasting level on the dedicated thread and I've noticed, both this year and last, that my levels are noticeably lower out here than they are back home in the grim northern hills of west Yorks.

Last year I attributed this to taking a couple of supplements as well but owing to aJIT scheduling error on my part I don't have the ALA with me this year. Courier arrive at home just as the gate opened . ...

So the question arises?

Why?

I have a bad knee so I rarely take more than 4500 steps a day, which I am maintaining out here too but I am swimming twice a day as well.

Less stress seems to be a possible reason and certainly - apart from the occasional cockroach hunt - that is the case, being horizontal most of the time ....

Most days I have prawns pil pil for lunch but I am fairly relaxed about my evening meal, which we usually eat out.

I am drinking a fair bit more than usual too - and that, to quote Albus Dumbledore, is saying something. ....

Also consciously drinking a lot more water though as well, because of the heat.

Sadly, I doubt this would be a viable long term treatment I could get on the NHS; but it sure seems to be working for me :cool:

Reactions: 5 people
D

debrasue

... there is enormous progress currently being made in the treatment of MS with some excellent results ...
Hi, Ron (@eldergarth)
Here are details of some of the new treatments currently being explored, but there are also studies being conducted into the genetic link, the role of Vitamin D. and that of a rogue protein, among many others. It seems to be a condition which is on the brink of an explosion of new treatments!
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...tment-found-to-reverse-symptoms-a7073706.html
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160411112246.htm
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Research/Research-News-Progress

D

debrasue

Hi Folks

Not been here awhile but every so often something crops up I feel I should mention and this seems to be the best general discussion thread.

I'm away on holiday on the costa del sol at the moment and I normally test my fbg levels twice a day, a fasting one first thing and one around 18.00 before eating.

I always post my fasting level on the dedicated thread and I've noticed, both this year and last, that my levels are noticeably lower out here than they are back home in the grim northern hills of west Yorks.

Last year I attributed this to taking a couple of supplements as well but owing to aJIT scheduling error on my part I don't have the ALA with me this year. Courier arrive at home just as the gate opened . ...

So the question arises?

Why?

I have a bad knee so I rarely take more than 4500 steps a day, which I am maintaining out here too but I am swimming twice a day as well.

Less stress seems to be a possible reason and certainly - apart from the occasional cockroach hunt - that is the case, being horizontal most of the time ....

Most days I have prawns pil pil for lunch but I am fairly relaxed about my evening meal, which we usually eat out.

I am drinking a fair bit more than usual too - and that, to quote Albus Dumbledore, is saying something. ....

Sadly, I doubt this would be a viable long term treatment I could get on the NHS; but it sure seems to be working for me :cool:
Yes, you're right, Tim - this poses some very interesting questions.......

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Sending you much love and prayers Ron for a speedy treatment plan and a peaceful and calm mind. You will always have our strong support xx

Reactions: 3 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
So sorry to hear this Ron, sending you and Tina massive hugs xx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I put a complaint in to Kingsmill hospital about Rons x ray taking 4 weeks to get the results they have just responded tonight. I put the complaint in on the 19th May.
They must have lots of complaints. Hope your ok. I hope there response was satisfactory. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Folks

So the question arises?

Why?

So no ALA and lower bgs whilst having fun and relaxing.
I've always known stress is a killer.
Any plans to have some long weekends to emulate your good levels once home?

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maureen I tend to have the alpen light bars in my lunch box for work 4g of sugar per bar they don't affect me to badly
Plus some of the flavours like the bakewell tart and chocolate & fudge are dangerously tasty take me back to when used to eat the real thing
@eldergarth Thanks, I will get some, maybe going to London so ant to keep in my pocket, thanks hope your well yourself

Reactions: 3 people