Type 2 Meet Up In York.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I was in York on the 27th and 28th short break with wife.

Oh @JohnEGreen - you should have said! @Granny_grump_ and @polly20 had booked ages ago to come to York and for overnight accommodation too. So, over time I got to know these 2 Lovely Ladies and I wanted to meet them very much, and did. We could have met up for a Coffee with You and your Wife.:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here is just some of the places of interest that we showed @Granny_grump_ & @polly20
We took a (short) walk along the City Roman Walls at the back of York Minister.
Visited Margaret Cliveroe's house in the Shambles, which is now a Chapel. She refused to convert to being a Protestant from being a Catholic, so the door to her house was placed on top of her and large blocks of stone placed on the door until she was crushed to death. She was only canonized this century as a Saint.
We went into the York Minister - saw the statue of Emperor Constantine outside the side entrance, he was one of the Roman Rulers of York when it was called: Eboracum in the Roman days.
We asked the Ladies if they would like to see the Resting Place of the Highway Outlaw Man = **** Turpin. The stone base remains of the Gallows are still to be seen on the Knavesmire.
There is just so much to see and not enough time. As all 4 of us have "walking problems" = we just strolled at our own pace. But, it was a very enjoyable time:). (My feet are still tingling!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Here is just some of the places of interest that we showed @Granny_grump_ & @polly20
We took a (short) walk along the City Roman Walls at the back of York Minister.
Visited Margaret Cliveroe's house in the Shambles, which is now a Chapel. She refused to convert to being a Protestant from being a Catholic, so the door to her house was placed on top of her and large blocks of stone placed on the door until she was crushed to death. She was only canonized this century as a Saint.
We went into the York Minister - saw the statue of Emperor Constantine outside the side entrance, he was one of the Roman Rulers of York when it was called: Eboracum in the Roman days.
We asked the Ladies if they would like to see the Resting Place of the Highway Outlaw Man = **** Turpin. The stone base remains of the Gallows are still to be seen on the Knavesmire.
There is just so much to see and not enough time. As all 4 of us have "walking problems" = we just strolled at our own pace. But, it was a very enjoyable time:). (My feet are still tingling!!)
Is you tongue not tingling Liam1955 haha!! Cannot find the thread with photos,saw them this morning trying to show hubby but cannot find it now? Help! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh @JohnEGreen - you should have said! @Granny_grump_ and @polly20 had booked ages ago to come to York and for overnight accommodation too. So, over time I got to know these 2 Lovely Ladies and I wanted to meet them very much, and did. We could have met up for a Coffee with You and your Wife.:)
Hi that would have been lovely I totally agree, wished we had all known K

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Never mind next time maybe, We are definitely going to pay another visit as it's not a huge distance from where we live;
We went up on the Monday stayed at the travelodge not far from York Minster came home Tuesday afternoon. You need a few days to see everything though. Though was quite surprised to see all the rough sleepers.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Got another uploaded - @Liam1955 and @Granny_grump_
york 9.jpg

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Never mind next time maybe, We are definitely going to pay another visit as it's not a huge distance from where we live;
We went up on the Monday stayed at the travelodge not far from York Minster came home Tuesday afternoon. You need a few days to see everything though. Though was quite surprised to see all the rough sleepers.
Hi JohnEGreen
We have been going to York for sometime now though not recently,I commented on the rough sleepers to William he said they are removed but they come back,it's a city where lots of visitors go to so like Manchester and other cities it's where they make for. But a shame really and a surprise when you haven't seen it before in York,we landed in York on Tuesday and came home on Wednesday so we literally passed each other so to speak. We really enjoyed our visit and meeting William and R was the icing on the cake literally has we ate cake both days,lovely! Would have been nice had we all known we could have met up and had a coffee and a chat,hopefully maybe next time.Regards Kathleen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We had a meal in York Roast giant Yorkshire pud with meat vegetables and gravy and roast potatoes naughty I know but enjoyed it one thing I did notice is that they do bread free sandwiches so may try that next time.

Reactions: Terri333

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @JohnEGreen - Which Travel-lodge did you stay in? Was it the one on Micklegate just a short walk from the Railway Station? Or was it the one at Wetherspoons - Postern Gate? And can you remember the name of the place where you ate?

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We had a meal in York Roast giant Yorkshire pud with meat vegetables and gravy and roast potatoes naughty I know but enjoyed it one thing I did notice is that they do bread free sandwiches so may try that next time.
Hi John
Liam took us to Wetherspoon it was a nice meal chicken Caesar salad I had, my sister and Liam and R all had lasagna,
When we return perhaps if your there at same time we could all do lunch together it would be nice to meet others,when we decided to return to York I have told Liam I will be in touch with him, given enough notice perhaps we could all meet up.
Never seen bread free sandwiches that's new to me! Glad you both enjoyed it and has Liam said could you let me know which travel lodge you stayed in, we where in Best Western Monkgate!Kathleen

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi John
Liam took us to Wetherspoon it was a nice meal chicken Caesar salad I had, my sister and Liam and R all had lasagna,
When we return perhaps if your there at same time we could all do lunch together it would be nice to meet others,when we decided to return to York I have told Liam I will be in touch with him, given enough notice perhaps we could all meet up.
Never seen bread free sandwiches that's new to me! Glad you both enjoyed it and has Liam said could you let me know which travel lodge you stayed in, we where in Best Western Monkgate!Kathleen
Hi John Monkgate should read Monkbar sorry, can you also let me know the where you had your Yorkshire pud meal in case me and hubby decide to visit York in July this year when he is off work on holiday. Kathleen

Reactions: Liam1955

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @JohnEGreen - Which Travel-lodge did you stay in? Was it the one on Micklegate just a short walk from the Railway Station? Or was it the one at Wetherspoons - Postern Gate? And can you remember the name of the place where you ate?
Hi Liam are you and R looking to stay in travelodge anytime soon,or are you only thinking about where we can stay next time we come to York, That's what friends do isn't it,(funny) haha!K

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There is just so much to see and not enough time.

York is a beautiful city @Liam1955 , stayed there 12 years ago and visited most of the sites like York Minster.

The highlight for me was visiting the National Railway Museum, it's a great place to visit and the admission is free, highly recommend the NRM for your next visit :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have really only visited York once, on business. I was lucky to have a break over lunch, so had a decent stroll in my break (that was a novelty in itself!), but when I left to go home, c4pm, I couldn't find my way back to the motorway.

Of course, I have a clinical navigation inadequacy, but I did see the Minster, several times. Once would have been enough!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Looks like you had a fun time. York is great. I think you should look at this trip as a form of test trip for another Type 2 meet up when me and the Mr can get there.

Reactions: Granny_grump_