Type 2 no meds and now high cholesterol

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been type 2 for just over a year onnomeds and blood sugars under control. Just had routine bloods and told i have high cholesterol dr wanted to put me on statins but i want to try by diet first but finding it hard to eat other than beans pulses and veg all a bit boring

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol was 4.8 and my GP suggested I take statins. I refused as I think they are bad for people with diabetes as they raise blood sugar and can lead to severe symptoms of muscle pain and memory loss.

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thanks for all comments i am not vegetarian but all advice is to stick to fruit veg and beans pulses with fish and chicken ....just finding it hard to find much taste in any thing ...just feeling a bit miffed i spose after getting bloods right...just something else to worry about

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is just my personal experience but I refused to take statins on the grounds that no one could give me one good reason to do so. I have researched until I'm blue in the face and remain unconvinced that they are beneficial. My GP is miffed with me but that is his problem, not mine. Free choice and all that.

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My cholesterol was 4.8 and my GP suggested I take statins. I refused as I think they are bad for people with diabetes as they raise blood sugar and can lead to severe symptoms of muscle pain and memory loss.

The video was very interesting . i did a lot of research on statins before i said no . i feel they are just too dangerous to take thats why i need to do by diet

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is just my personal experience but I refused to take statins on the grounds that no one could give me one good reason to do so. I have researched until I'm blue in the face and remain unconvinced that they are beneficial. My GP is miffed with me but that is his problem, not mine. Free choice and all that.
Thats my thoughts exCtly i am afraid i only found bad things about statins nothing positive at all and all a bit frightening causing irreversable muscle wastage etc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thats my thoughts exCtly i am afraid i only found bad things about statins nothing positive at all and all a bit frightening causing irreversable muscle wastage etc

If you search for Malcolm Kendrick on YouTube (or use the search function on this site) you will find his short interviews quite enlightening but remember you must make up your own mind about cholesterol and statins. Do not allow yourself to be rail roaded or influenced until after you see the evidence. Good luck.

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you search for Malcolm Kendrick on YouTube (or use the search function on this site) you will find his short interviews quite enlightening but remember you must make up your own mind about cholesterol and statins. Do not allow yourself to be rail roaded or influenced until after you see the evidence. Good luck.
Thanks i will definitely watch..more information gleaned is good .. I must axmit my first reaction was ok take them ad the dr said then after a bit of research i am saying no but researching more ..its my body my problem ...thank you again

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say high cholesterol what exactly does that mean? Total cholesterol is actually pretty meaningless & it is the triglycerides to watch out for...
As for diet, there is so much to eat on a low carb diet - all types of meat and fish with salad and veg accompanied by dressings, herbs, spices, chilli, garlic etc that it should never be boring or bland!

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
p.s. Good job on keeping your blood sugars under control - that is the most important thing :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not veggie just want to get cholester down
Cut carbs fill up on fats and protein and investigate cholesterol to see if you need to worry about it. Most people report better cholesterol ratios when following a low carb diet.. mine certainly have. if you are worried about CVD then have a scan to check if you have arterial plaque.

Biggles2

No not veggie just want to get cholester down

Then you might want to take a look at this study which was published in the Lancet on August 29, 2017. It was a large study involving 125,287 participants in 18 countries:
“Association of dietary nutrients with blood lipids and blood pressure in 18 countries: a cross-sectional analysis from the PURE study”
Here is a snippet from the interpretation:
Interpretation
“Our data are at odds with current recommendations to reduce total fat and saturated fats. Reducing saturated fatty acid intake and replacing it with carbohydrate has an adverse effect on blood lipids.”​

Reactions: gemma_T1

Greenacres

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cut carbs fill up on fats and protein and investigate cholesterol to see if you need to worry about it. Most people report better cholesterol ratios when following a low carb diet.. mine certainly have. if you are worried about CVD then have a scan to check if you have arterial plaque.
Thanks for the advice i will act onit