Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Hi All,
I got diagnosed as a type 1 yesterday, I was originally diagnosed as a type 2.
After 1 month of of dieting , exercise i got my blood sugar under control at around 5.5 Mmol originally 10 mmol before I saw the nurse and was given metaformin to take.

What i am totally confused about is i have now been taken off metaformin and put on insulin. Before bed, i'm supposed to inject 2 units and then wake up 3 hours later to do a blood sugar test. I am totally baffled why i need insulin at all , i've got my blood sugar under control via exercise and diet.

I don't have a good understanding of type 1 yet.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've been told by my consultant that type 2 starts of with diet 1st, if that doesn't work then diet and tablets and then if that still isn't making a difference then onto insulin and type 1 immediately go onto insulin. I've never ever been told to inject before bed and then get up 3 hours later to test. I wouldn't do that anyway, I don't sleep well at the best of times.

jopar

What insulin are you using?

If it's lantus or Levimer then this is a background insulin, which is normally a evening injection, but it is timed so if you injected at 9pm then you should inject it at 9pm every night...

Just because you've started using insulin doesn't automatically change your status, you become a T2 taking insulin...

You do need to ask your DSN, why you've been changed to insulin, and why such a small dose, 2unit's of insulin for somebody who's supposed to be T2 insulin resistant is a rather unusual indeed..

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jopar the OP has had a GAD test showing antibodies hence a revised diagnosis to type one. See the new members board.

Ali

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi Sarah they prob just want to check your sugar's steady during the night I.e the background/long acting insulin is on the correct dose.

I had to test part way through the night to check I was on the correct dose as I was getting high morning reads.