Type 2 with Coeliac disease

pms543

What's really frustrating is that I have both conditions and each have their own issues related to them. When I ask the Diabetic nurse or the Coeliac team which is more important to look after, neither can outweigh the other....For instance, If I wanted to eat a non gluten food and keep my blood sugars happy , I risk undoing all the good work a gluten free diet has done to repair my digestive system and equally if I eat that ice cream on holiday then the chances of shooting my blood sugars up is equally risky. I guess with diabetes the odd occasion would be ok, not regularly, but hey, anyone got any thoughts on this or experience?

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to help, but I can't see the problem. For a type two diabetic, foods containing gluten would be something to avoid. I do eat ice cream out of the house a couple of times a year, even if it is not very good I like the mint choc chip flavour - but as I eat low carb it is not a problem.

Reactions: pms543

pms543

I'd like to help, but I can't see the problem. For a type two diabetic, foods containing gluten would be something to avoid. I do eat ice cream out of the house a couple of times a year, even if it is not very good I like the mint choc chip flavour - but as I eat low carb it is not a problem.

I understand, think I just wanted others opinions. I’m on a low carb diet already but sometimes I really fancy something that would affect one or the other condition

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand, think I just wanted others opinions. I’m on a low carb diet already but sometimes I really fancy something that would affect one or the other condition

I am low carb and strictly GF, although my Coeliac panel was described as inconclusive, but then I didn't eat gluten beforehand.

I was T2 before having to go GF, but after the usual "adventure" of finding surprising hiding places for gluten it's been fine.

To be honest, I was never into pizza or pasta so simply not having them is fine by me. Some seasonings are a pain (sometimes literally), but I'm reconciled to it now.

Personally? In your shoes, I would try very hard not to break my GF diet. I know for me quite simply, I feel rough afterwards, and of course there is the additional risk to your gut. Who knows how long a gut can heal and heal again from a gluten assault.

Again, in your shoes, if I really felt I couldn't live without some sort of treat, and it was an unusual thing (i.e. rare occasion) and would only impact on my blood sugars for an hour or two, that's the route I'd go.

If I felt one icecream/sweet, bag of crisps, or whatever it was would lead to another, I'd do my level best to avoid eating it.

Only you can decide how you live, what risks you take and what compromises you make. It's that simple really.

Reactions: Higaomo and pms543

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's really frustrating is that I have both conditions and each have their own issues related to them. When I ask the Diabetic nurse or the Coeliac team which is more important to look after, neither can outweigh the other....For instance, If I wanted to eat a non gluten food and keep my blood sugars happy , I risk undoing all the good work a gluten free diet has done to repair my digestive system and equally if I eat that ice cream on holiday then the chances of shooting my blood sugars up is equally risky. I guess with diabetes the odd occasion would be ok, not regularly, but hey, anyone got any thoughts on this or experience?

Hello, both diabetic and coeliac club member here
I was lucky in that I was diagnosed coeliac 10 years ago and t2 5 years ago (although now waiting for test results to see if I’m actually t1 but that’s another story…)

anyway I say I was lucky because I had 5 years to deal with diet changes from coeliac before diabetes was added to the mix. So I did the whole ‘ a bit of bread/ pasta won’t kill me’ and then feeling rough for a few days after phase which eventually served to remind me that it’s just not worth the fallout (in all senses of the word) it for a French loaf or pizza.

But it really does feel unfair that we have to check both for no gluten and low carb sometimes. However I’m kind of treating my situation like an experiment now, in that I will try different gf and low carb foods and see what I like and how it affects my blood sugar and let that guide me. I have no symptoms from coeliac any more as I’ve been religiously gf for a long while now and my gluten rash, energy levels, gastro problems (awful chronic gastritis nausea and reflux) had pretty much vanished although I felt even better in terms of energy levels and mood when I went low carb back in feb. So for me, although it sucks to not have the freedom to choose whatever I fancy, the benefits I’ve seen have been compensation for that.

You can do it!

Reactions: pms543

pms543

Much appreciated for your honest reply! I get it! I agree with you and how you’ve described how you approach the 2 diets, Thanku I am encouraged. I may have to put down any desires for baking to just family cakes and be at peace on that. Yes I / we can do this….

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat