Type 2s: Stupid things people have said to you?

S

Sean01

One of my Directors is a bit of a bully and likes to take every opportunity to try and belittle me. Thankfully, I'm thick skinned and have a massive 'don't give a ****' gene in my genetic make up.
The chap was in hospital for 3 weeks last year having been rushed to hospital in the middle of the night. I don't know what he had but it was obviously serious. It could him to loose a lot of weight, but six months on and he is now even bigger than before - embarrassingly big - especially in the belly department - he looks like a pro darts player from the 80's
Anyway - here's a taster:
Him eating a bacon sandwich in front of me: 'Oh sorry, I hope you don't mind but, I just had to eat this. You probably can't eat this can you?
Me: It's almost compulsory for T2 diabetics to eat bacon. I can't eat the bread but you eating bread doesn't bother me.

Him when talking about sports: Oh I'm sorry. I bet you can't exercise in your condition.
Me: Well, I try my best to do something. (gym 10 times a week)

Him seeing me with a nut bar in my hands: Are you eating stuff behind your wife's back?
Me: If I eat the wrong stuff I think she'll notice when I go blind and have my legs amputated.

This Wednesday, we have a team meeting - lunch will be wall to wall sandwiches. Nobody has asked me about what I can eat and to be quite honest, I don't care. I will leave the room and have my usual omelette.

Some people are born ignorant, some people work at it all their short pathetic lives.

Reactions: 4 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Those are the witty put-downs I can only dream about! Keep 'em coming! :joyful:

Reactions: Freema

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
One of my Directors is a bit of a bully and likes to take every opportunity to try and belittle me. Thankfully, I'm thick skinned and have a massive 'don't give a ****' gene in my genetic make up.
The chap was in hospital for 3 weeks last year having been rushed to hospital in the middle of the night. I don't know what he had but it was obviously serious. It could him to loose a lot of weight, but six months on and he is now even bigger than before - embarrassingly big - especially in the belly department - he looks like a pro darts player from the 80's
Anyway - here's a taster:
Him eating a bacon sandwich in front of me: 'Oh sorry, I hope you don't mind but, I just had to eat this. You probably can't eat this can you?
Me: It's almost compulsory for T2 diabetics to eat bacon. I can't eat the bread but you eating bread doesn't bother me.

Him when talking about sports: Oh I'm sorry. I bet you can't exercise in your condition.
Me: Well, I try my best to do something. (gym 10 times a week)

Him seeing me with a nut bar in my hands: Are you eating stuff behind your wife's back?
Me: If I eat the wrong stuff I think she'll notice when I go blind and have my legs amputated.

This Wednesday, we have a team meeting - lunch will be wall to wall sandwiches. Nobody has asked me about what I can eat and to be quite honest, I don't care. I will leave the room and have my usual omelette.

Some people are born ignorant, some people work at it all their short pathetic lives.

Good job you've got a rhino skin, but still what's going on in somebody's mind that is responsible at least in part for leading the organisation and that always means getting the best out of people.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

S

Sean01

Good job you've got a rhino skin, but still what's going on in somebody's mind that is responsible at least in part for leading the organisation and that always means getting the best out of people.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
He's actually in charge of HR!!!!!!!!! and he hasn't learned that there is a link between me being happy and him earning extra money. It is actually quite funny, and it's not just me.

The other day he phoned me up to see where I was. I didn't answer the phone - I was in the car. As I parked and walked to the office, I checked my messages and as I passed his door I asked him what he wanted. He wanted to know where I was. I told him - Right here. He pointed at his screen and said ' your diary says you are here for a 4 p.m. meeting. I looked at my watch, looked around to make sure that I was in the right place and replied - that's good. I'm in the right place exactly on time and carried on walking.
Others who saw the conversation came to talk to me afterwards and said if that had been me I would have been so angry'. I replied - then he would have won..

Myangelsmom

I think that is unfair.

We have MANY conversations on here about how T2 is not necessarily down to weight or lifestyle, and if this woman and ALL her siblings are T2 then that is a strong clue for a genetic origin for hers.

Add in the fact that the NHS believes T2 to be both progressive and requiring a rising drug treatment regime, and this woman is leading a wave of new info. She has lost 7 stone. That is pretty awesome, in my book.

Remember that low carbing is NEW to many, and has been fought by the establishment for decades.

You may find this thread interesting:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ng-to-be-wasting-my-time.101428/#post-1157219
I think I was misunderstood in my statement. I'm sure she's lovely, caring, COMPASSIONATE with people's struggles as she struggles herself, I'm just saying as an rule BETTER info needs to be out there for the students entering the field of medicine so that THEY can be setting the examples more effectively. I think back to a doctor I had as a child who would treat me for chronic bronchitis related to second hand smoke from my mum. He's chastize her for smoking the go light up between patients. :eek::facepalm:

I wasn't speaking of her personally. Just that the system is so ... Backwards? Seems better CORRECT info needs to start from the top down... Teach the teachers, lead by example, and stop blaming the patient!

I'm a really nice person, honest. I think I came across wrong there. :blackeye:

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sean01

He's actually in charge of HR!!!!!!!!! and he hasn't learned that there is a link between me being happy and him earning extra money. It is actually quite funny, and it's not just me.

The other day he phoned me up to see where I was. I didn't answer the phone - I was in the car. As I parked and walked to the office, I checked my messages and as I passed his door I asked him what he wanted. He wanted to know where I was. I told him - Right here. He pointed at his screen and said ' your diary says you are here for a 4 p.m. meeting. I looked at my watch, looked around to make sure that I was in the right place and replied - that's good. I'm in the right place exactly on time and carried on walking.
Others who saw the conversation came to talk to me afterwards and said if that had been me I would have been so angry'. I replied - then he would have won..
Update - . Poor chap ate too much over the week end and then drank too much - took a tumble down a flight of stairs - nothing broken - but he did have a brain bleed when his head hit the wall. - paramedics/hospital the whole 9 yards He remembers nothing. I had a word with my GP to see what she thought this might be.I may be wrong but I'm sure she said 'Karma' Never heard of it - so I looked it up. (Please don't judge me. I'm not a bad person but now I will have a few weeks rest from being bullied at work.)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to resurrect this thread, since there is a T1 thread going on the same subject, and in the discussion it has been made clear that T2s are supposed to use THIS thread, not the T1 thread.

So have at it, One and All! Oh, and I am sure that any T1, 1.5 and 3ers who want to post will be made welcome, won't they? Because we are an inclusive bunch, we T2ers.

Joandollie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So through luck not judgement, after diagnosis 8 years ago, i have only recently started taking Metformin. I explained to my mum (also my boss) what was going on. She has never got it. Convinced herself the doctors can't be right because, well it's me, so it's wrong. I don't fit the stereotype apparently. I tried to explain that I'm testing to identify my 'danger foods' . Her response was to say she didn't believe in 'all that sort of thing' . I attempted to explain why carbs are not good for me and how/ why it effects me, as a diabetic. That's rubbish too apparently, because we all need a balance of everything in our diet and carbs should be part of it. No mum, not when too many carbs or even little bit of certain carbs make me feel like ****. I gave up because despite being an intelligent, compassionate person, all common sense has deserted her and she seems further in denial than me.....

Oh yes and a friend of mine responded with 'how have you managed to do that then?'