Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'Day from Montreal. My morning BG this a.m. were weird: 3.1 mmol/L then 1.4 mmol/L then 2.3 mmol/L o_O (06:00 hrs EST.)

Shouldn't I be fainting or going into a coma or something? Or is my meter on the fritz?

After oatmeal w/blueberries breakfast and a brisk walk, 5.5 mmol/L.
Hi @oldnevada.

Those numbers certainly want some explaining! You were right to retest. Unfortunately, all three readings look unsound. Could you have picked up a contaminant on your finger or perhaps the test site was contaminated?

The final reading following your walk is more realistic and suggests your meter is functioning normally.

Should this happen again, a control solution to test the functionality of your meter and test strips is available from your local pharmacy. If stored properly, they will keep for 12 weeks after opening and some last much longer.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Hi @oldnevada.

Those numbers certainly want some explaining! You were right to retest. Unfortunately, all three readings look unsound. Could you have picked up a contaminant on your finger or perhaps the test site was contaminated?

The final reading following your walk is more realistic and suggests your meter is functioning normally.

Should this happen again, a control solution to test the functionality of your meter and test strips is available from your local pharmacy. If stored properly, they will keep for 12 weeks after opening and some last much longer.
Thanks for responding. Maybe a bit of residual isopropyl alcohol from cleaning my finger tips? This is a first, for me. I'm right at the end of my test strips, 20 left (Accu-Chek Aviva exp. 28-02-2025) too, but I keep the container sealed all the time. Spooky. Ta! (when I was on Glyburide, I had plenty of hypos, and even collapsed from one while I was out running, so I know what that's all about, and I certainly didn't have that this a.m. Now I'm going to be carrying my DEX with me again.)

Post supper BG was 8.3 mmol/L.

Last edited: