Type 3c and eating wrong!

Mr_Funnel_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You need to fight, get angry (but not offensive) with them and demand answers. I am officially Type 1, receiving treatment as Type 2 and confused. I'm also struggling with insulin resistance and currently running high.
It's a horrible feeling to be high and that will have effects on your mental health so it's imperative to get those sugars under control before you get any long term effects.

KevCB

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’m in the UK and I’ve had damage to my pancreas due to several bouts of pancreatitis. That’s how I worked out I was T3c
I'm also in the UK, and am a T3c - this is what my consultant has officially diagnosed (there are still a lot of medical professionals who know nothing about T3c though - in fact the doctors system doesn't even have this as an option)

In 2011 I spend 8 weeks in hospital with acute on chronic pancreatitus (wouldn't wish that on anyone) - as a result my pancreas basically gave up.

I'm on creon, metformin, toujeo and novorapid with multiple injections each day.

So to all intents and purposes I'm treated the same as T1

Elaine.s

How to use insulin properly has never been explained to me. Carb counting has never been explained to me. I have literally been told I was diabetic, given insulin and left to it. I see someone at the hospital every 3 months but all he does is tell me where the

i was told I was diabetic, given insulin, told how much to take and that was it. I kept getting hypo’s as what they told me to take was too much. When I see the consultant at the hospital, he just shows me the graphs of where my sugars have been and are (like the daily / monthly graphs) tells me where they should be then says goodbye. I’m not getting the help I need, I’m injecting up to 7 (very occasionally 8) times a day between 2-8 units of rapid acting insulin. My levels are nearly always 13.0 and above. So I can’t see why I should use the insulin until everything has been properly explained to me.
Phone your Diabetes Team and tell them that you need urgent help. High BGL is just as dangerous as Low.
I was diagnosed through lockdown and I didn't have any help, but I kept on nagging that I needed more help and I got it. You do have to want to help yourself.

dmouse_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, just over 12 months ago I was told I was diabetic. The diabetic nurse tried to tell me I was T2 but when I told her I knew I was T3c, the reply came back “there isn’t such a thing as T3c” !!! Anyway, I am T3c but I just can’t stop eating biscuits, cakes, ice cream, sweets, frozen desserts etc and the only thing I drink is Relentless (energy drink) it’s very rare my glucose levels are below 13 mmol/L
My HbA1c level is high at around 9.7% or 83 mmol/mol.
I’ve not had anyone talk to me about food, as in a diabetic dietitian. The man I see every 3 months about my diabetes, tells me to come on here and look at some of the recipes. Problem is, I live alone and can’t see the point cooking for one, I’m a very fussy eater and I suffer with severe depression. I find it hard to look after myself day to day as it is without cooking. I’ve read that people say eat nuts… I don’t like them. Avocado… Don’t like them …. I just don’t know what to do other than to give up and just carry on as I am!! While I’m typing this, my glucose level is 17.9 mmol/L
Has anyone got any suggestions please?? I’d really appreciate it. Thanks x
I think the biggest thing you have to try and do first is look at your depression where that's through help or medication. You may be able to get Diabetes psychiatric treatment where they may be able to help you with things. After that I hate to saying but a diet of sweet stuff and relentless isn't good for anyone. There are ready meals and stuff that are a start. Hope this helps

dmouse_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve never heard about diabetic burn out. That actually seems fitting for me at the moment (looking it up on the internet) I will certainly have a look at what you have suggested and I’ll see what I can do with contacting people. Thank you so much x
Yeah I had that, I got a lot of help from diabetes psychology

dmouse_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had some insulin now. I’ll use some but not as much as I need and I’ll see the doctor next week x
That's a huge help. Trying asking to see a DSN and writing down all your concerns before hand and take them with. I know it's hard but try and be persistent with them. At one point I was going in once every 2 weeks to see my Dsn as my hb1c was at 15.6.

KoffeeLover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DemonBat i know it’s so difficult and to think it’s not worth bothering. It’s so easy to reach for the convenience foods just to stop us feeling hungry. I’m in a similar situation as I’m on my own now and can’t be bothered sometime. My daughter lives on her own and she batch cooks on a Sunday afternoon so she has something to eat when she gets home from work. I’m doing a similar thing now but with low carb. I’ve recently started roasting joints of meat; chicken, pork, lamb, so I can have a portion with salad or roast cauliflower, green beans, broccoli or just on its own. I don’t mind having the same thing for a few nights on the trot. I’ve just found a recipe for tuna melts - can of tuna drained, 1/4 cup of grated cheese, 1 egg. Mix everything together, divide into 4 patties and fry in butter on each side until slighty crisp. Give it a go. Also I’ve got rid of all ‘bad’ food from my fridge and cupboards so I’m not tempted.
Hi there! I'm T2 insulin dependent. Please, please realize soon that diabetes needs to be controlled. I have neuropathy in my lower legs because I did not work at keeping mt glucose levels down, and I now have diabetic macular edema, which I get monthly injections into my left eye; I do not want to go blind. I am now working hard on my glucose levels through long-lasting insulin, regular insulin to take with food, and Ozempic, as well as carb-counting to match my insulin units, and I've got in under somewhat control, better than I ever have before. But the damage is done, healthwise. If you would like to understand how I carb count, please reply, and I will be more than happy to help.

Le Duan

Have you tried Intuitive Eating [can't post a link as it will be treated as spam, apparently], but google it. I'm type 2 and absolutely hate being told by anyone - The Food Police mostly - what I can eat and what I can't. Intuitive Eating has helped me dial-down my pre-occupation, obsession and 'prowling' for food. It helped me realise that I am an unconscious eater - A 'Refuse-Not' eater - eating everything in sight, hungry or not, and a Waste Not Eater - clearing my plate even if full. Intuitive Eating requires me to reconnect my gut with my brain and to eat only when biologically hungry....and to stop when approaching full. I've found it quite liberating.

Mark1969y

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just over 12 months ago I was told I was diabetic. The diabetic nurse tried to tell me I was T2 but when I told her I knew I was T3c, the reply came back “there isn’t such a thing as T3c” !!! Anyway, I am T3c but I just can’t stop eating biscuits, cakes, ice cream, sweets, frozen desserts etc and the only thing I drink is Relentless (energy drink) it’s very rare my glucose levels are below 13 mmol/L
I’ve not had anyone talk to me about food, as in a diabetic dietitian. The man I see every 3 months about my diabetes, tells me to come on here and look at some of the recipes. Problem is, I live alone and can’t see the point cooking for one, I’m a very fussy eater and I suffer with severe depression. I find it hard to look after myself day to day as it is without cooking. I’ve read that people say eat nuts… I don’t like them. Avocado… Don’t like them …. I just don’t know what to do other than to give up and just carry on as I am!! While I’m typing this, my glucose level is 17.9 mmol/L
Hi DemonBat,
I've been Type 3c since I had pancreatic cancer 3 years ago. It took a while to talk to the right people and get the right advice, and I'm still asking questions now, but definitely ask for a dietitian within your local diabetes clinic, your GP shouldn't deny you a referral.
Eating the right thing is hard, but best advice is to look at the Carbohydrate content of food - NOT the "of which sugars", the base Carb value. This will dictate how much insulin you take to manage the food. I am currently on approx 1 unit insulin for every 10g carbs, but this will be individual and a bit trial and error!
Protein such as fresh meat, fish, cheese is all very low in carbs so usually you can have more of this. But bread, fruit, cakes etc all have varying levels and will require insulin.
If you are happy to use apps, try one called Carbs&Cals - free to use, it gives some info on the carb values of different foods, handy if out and you don't have the info to hand.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi there! I'm T2 insulin dependent. Please, please realize soon that diabetes needs to be controlled. I have neuropathy in my lower legs because I did not work at keeping mt glucose levels down, and I now have diabetic macular edema, which I get monthly injections into my left eye; I do not want to go blind. I am now working hard on my glucose levels through long-lasting insulin, regular insulin to take with food, and Ozempic, as well as carb-counting to match my insulin units, and I've got in under somewhat control, better than I ever have before. But the damage is done, healthwise. If you would like to understand how I carb count, please reply, and I will be more than happy to help.
The damage that diabetes can cause is extreme - a point which often seems to be ignored by many.

My sister is a Podiatrist. She regularly used to see the extreme damage in her clinic - diabetic ulcers on legs and feet, wounds slow to heal, and yes in some cases amputations, both of toes and limbs. She lost a friend of hers - who had been T1 since a very young age due to this. Her friend had major nerve damage to the degree that she lost control of her bowel - so it isn't anything to ignore. Her friend unfortunately had continued smoking - which together with the diabetes led to her very sad loss after she had a leg amputated and secondary infections.

So please Demonbat - get help from the hospital and your GP - they have a duty of care (which seems to be rather lacking)!

Cropmeister

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 3C. I was mis diagnosed with type 2 in 2000 after 5 years of nerve damage in my feet. The bowel problems caused by pancreatitis were diagnosed as IBS. It took them 19 years to realize I was type 3c diabetic in all. I had a lot of unnecessary suffering and ended up with permanent nerve damage in my feet. Demonbat, don't give up my friend, it is really important to get your blood sugars under control.
I now take 2 lots of insulin and take Nutrizym(similar to Creon) to help with my digestion. You can eat sweet food, but need to balance it with fast acting insulin. As others have said, the amount of insulin you take is very individual, takes a bit of experimentation. You need to carb count and adjust your gms of carbs per insulin unit ratio depending on whether you go too low or not low enough. It's initially a pain in the bum, but you do get used to it and you'll benefit long term.

JANG210100

I am type 3c but the NHS and Diabetes UK will not call it that. they would rather call it diabetes secondary to pancreatitis. Mine was due to gall stones blocking the pancreatic duct but there are other ways of it developing. Your GP can give you access to a dietician or training course. Just ask them direct. You could try duel fast and slow acting insulin which is taken in the morning and 20 mins before tea. You may find this much easier to control. I have joined Take That Step for guidance with weight and livestyle but I am not sure if this is available in all areas. Please do not feel alone. I hope this helps you.

GillyM

Hi PenguinMum.
No, I don’t take Creon. They gave it to me the once, for something else … think it was on going stomach pains, where I couldn’t eat and lost nearly 2 stones in weight. That was before I was diagnosed diabetic. I tried to take them but couldn’t. Also, I don’t like the idea of taking a tablet that’s made from the pigs pancreas!
Hi DemonBat
I’ve been T2 since 2006 but recently became T3c following pancreatic surgery and pancreatitis and started Humulin insulin injections in December. I inject 18 units once a day at nighttime - I started on 6 units and gradually titrated it by 2 units until I found a balance that seems to work. I’m also struggling to get on top of my diabetes and I’m pescatarian- don’t eat meat- so I was reluctant to take Creon made with pig pancreas. I also find it hard to eat enough protein. I’m trying to eat low carb and you might find it easier to follow a simple rule of not eating anything white - bread potatoes pasta etc
The best way to stop the sugar cravings, I’m sorry to say, is to STOP buying sweets etc.
I’m wondering which health authority you come under. I’ve had some good advice through a diabetic nurse and you should be able to access similar resources
Hope you can get on top of this.

GillyM

I am type 3c but the NHS and Diabetes UK will not call it that. they would rather call it diabetes secondary to pancreatitis. Mine was due to gall stones blocking the pancreatic duct but there are other ways of it developing. Your GP can give you access to a dietician or training course. Just ask them direct. You could try duel fast and slow acting insulin which is taken in the morning and 20 mins before tea. You may find this much easier to control. I have joined Take That Step for guidance with weight and livestyle but I am not sure if this is available in all areas. Please do not feel alone. I hope this helps you.

Hi DemonBat
I’ve been T2 since 2006 but recently became T3c following pancreatic surgery and pancreatitis and started Humulin insulin injections in December. I inject 18 units once a day at nighttime - I started on 6 units and gradually titrated it by 2 units until I found a balance that seems to work. I’m also struggling to get on top of my diabetes and I’m pescatarian- don’t eat meat- so I was reluctant to take Creon made with pig pancreas. I also find it hard to eat enough protein. I’m trying to eat low carb and you might find it easier to follow a simple rule of not eating anything white - bread potatoes pasta etc
The best way to stop the sugar cravings, I’m sorry to say, is to STOP buying sweets etc.
I’m wondering which health authority you come under. I’ve had some good advice through a diabetic nurse and you should be able to access similar resources
Hope you can get on top of this.
Btw I assume you know that you need to change your driving licence if you are on insulin

Spinynorman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ozempic is not a good idea - if you read the leaflet that comes with it, it says one of the side effects is to aggravate retinopathy. I was given a shot by my pharmacist as they owed me victoza which is currently unavailable. I’ve had laser treatment in both eyes a while ago but have been stable for a few years now. Like you - can’t go blind as my job depends on my sight.
Ozempic is going back when I collect my repeat.

Reactions: Loufb

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello my friend.....living alone means being inventive...do you have a freezer if so set aside a days and cook it favorite foods and then freeze some that way you have to to food....cut back on the carbs...there are a lot of stuff I can eat which is lower carb....don't give up. It gets easier ....Oh....and for goodness sake cut out the energy drinks
..that stuff will rot your liver

NellH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)