Type2 Diabetes and pregnant

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everybody,

Very recently (2 weeks ago), I went for a health check and I was informed that i am having type2 diabetes. The latest reading showed HbA1C as 88 mmol/mol:(. However without knowing my diabetic situation, I was trying to get pregnant. This morning I realised I was pregnant.

I am worried, tensed and need some advice. Also if anyone has had been in similar situation, appreciate any support in terms or sharing their journey.

Thanks,
Shruti

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @shrutidevarashetti

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am sorry that you are feeling even more worried and anxious than you would have been without this news.

The good news is that many type 1s have had successful pregnancies. Also many people with gestational diabetes have healthy and successful pregnancies. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy and he is now a very healthy almost 30 year old. know that news alone won't be enough to stop the worrying.

My suggestion is to book in and see your doctor so they are aware and can help alleviate your worries. My second suggestion is to get a meter so you can monitor your blood sugar levels.

The meter will let you know how your levels are and help you make decisions about what you should be eating. I also recommend that you visit the gestational diabetes part of the forum.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor says.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @shrutidevarashetti and welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

My first recommendation is that you immediately phone your GP, you'll need a referral to a diabetic antenatal clinic asap.

As regards the high hba1c, I'm not going to lie to you here, most diabetic clinics prefer people to have a stable lower hba1c before getting pregnant. It makes the statistics for a successful pregnancy better, but that is all they are, statiistics.

You have to remember that a lot of new pregnancies (whether the mothers are diabetic or not) don't result in a baby, no one knows why. Some pregnancies just aren't viable, and end naturally, particularly in the first 3 months. Hopefully this won't happen to you but even if it does you'll never know whether the result is influenced by your undiagnosed diabetes or whether this would have happened anyway, even if you weren't diabetic.

I'm sure your team will do all the tests to find out how your pregnancy is progressing and will help you get the best care, please contact them as soon as possible.

Good luck from a T1 who as had 2 diabetic pregnancies (my youngest is 27)

Hamsticle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm Type 2 and currently 9+6 weeks pregnant. I was aware I was diabetic before I got pregnant but my control wasn't great. I'd got my hbA1c down from 88 in January 2022 to 74 in September (not great!). I found out I was pregnant at the end of November and contacted the diabetes team immediately. This is my second baby (hopefully - I have one son and had 2 miscarriages in between) so I have a vague memory of what happened last time. I have been put on insulin immediately and I was already on metformin (500mg twice a day). I am on Levemir long acting insulin and Fiasp rapid acting. I am carb counting for my fast acting - in my first pregnancy I was given set doses and I find carb counting much easier!

I have Libre sensor to monitor my blood glucose and that shows my GMI (Glucose Management Indicator) is 41 mmol/mol. My diabetic nurse says this is a very good indicator of what my hbA1C level is. I managed to bring it down in the space of 4 weeks.

Speak to your GP and ask for a referral to the diabetic obstetrics team. They are brilliant and will get you sorted! In the meantime, I find carb counting really helpful!

• Winner
Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 and currently 9+6 weeks pregnant. I was aware I was diabetic before I got pregnant but my control wasn't great. I'd got my hbA1c down from 88 in January 2022 to 74 in September (not great!). I found out I was pregnant at the end of November and contacted the diabetes team immediately. This is my second baby (hopefully - I have one son and had 2 miscarriages in between) so I have a vague memory of what happened last time. I have been put on insulin immediately and I was already on metformin (500mg twice a day). I am on Levemir long acting insulin and Fiasp rapid acting. I am carb counting for my fast acting - in my first pregnancy I was given set doses and I find carb counting much easier!

I have Libre sensor to monitor my blood glucose and that shows my GMI (Glucose Management Indicator) is 41 mmol/mol. My diabetic nurse says this is a very good indicator of what my hbA1C level is. I managed to bring it down in the space of 4 weeks.

Speak to your GP and ask for a referral to the diabetic obstetrics team. They are brilliant and will get you sorted! In the meantime, I find carb counting really helpful!
Thanks @Hamsticle

Yeah I have reached the Diabetics Team and am on Abasagular (long acting) and Humalog (Rapid acting) insulin along with Metformin.

My levels have come down to 6-8 from 11-13, so there is progress.

I am counting carbs as well. Thank you.

May I ask you, How many scans you had till now? I am having my 8weeks scan next week and am keen to know, what will be known in 8th week.

Thanks.