UK NICE Closed Loop guidelines - where are we now?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hope this is informative.

The latest posted on the NICE website is that the "final draft" guidelines will be published no earlier than 23 October 2023 . The initial draft was positive to broadening the criteria for the use of insulin pumps and closed loop technology (pump + CGM feedback) as proven technology, however this original recommendation was subject to a very significant caveat that the NHS will require major pricing discounts from the tech providers in order to proceed.

So based on recent informal feedback from my endo, plus by following Prof Partha Kar on social media, I understand that the NHS has finalised pricing agreements with all but one pump providers, has tweaked the eligibility criteria slightly, now evaluating the practical roll-out to implement this guidance. Roll-out will be phased taking up to 4-5 years to reach the full diabetic population that may benefit compared to MDI.

Priority will be under 18's and maybe gestational diabetics. For the rest of us I can only suggest making sure you have a proactive and dynamic relationship with your diabetes team. :cool: