Ulcerative colitis, nafld and t2 diabetes diet. Any advice please? Thankyou in advance.

midnight blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm totally confused as to what to eat because of above conditions. I really would appreciate any suggestions as what to eat, because diabetes is low carb high fibre - not an option with inflammatory bowel disease. And am so confused with conflicting information online. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Many thanks, Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I'm totally confused as to what to eat because of above conditions. I really would appreciate any suggestions as what to eat, because diabetes is low carb high fibre - not an option with inflammatory bowel disease. And am so confused with conflicting information online. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Many thanks, Jo
Hi Jo, Jo here,

The diet for both diabetes and NAFLD is a low carb, high FAT, diet, not high fibre per se. So hopefully we can help you find work-arounds. Can you list what you're all good to eat for the Colitis? Assuming you had that before the T2 and have been living with it for a while? Maybe we can help sort some stuff out.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some. I'm also thinking, is a mainly carnivore diet up your alley? That's practically no fibre and no carbs. Doesn't have to be that restrictive, but maybe if you build your meals around that, add in greens that can work for you...

You'll be okay, it's just a puzzle, and it can get sorted.
Hugs,
Jo

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not sure that low carb has to be high fibre. One eats more protein & fat, neither of which are high fibre. And you might not need to make much of a change, depending on what you eat now, and how you respond to a change.

However, reducing alcohol & sugars will help. I say 'sugars' plural as many things, especially processed foods, have ingredients ending in 'ose' and those are various types of sugars.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby isn’t T2 but has colloid colitis & IBS for which the dietary advice is very similar to ulcerative colitis, he eats a low carb diet of about 80 - 100 g carbs per day, he avoids red meats as that seems to irritate him but he eats, chicken, fish, turkey, he eats veg in moderation as long as it’s peeled, look at the veg on a FODMAP diet there are plenty of lower carb options that you may be able to eat. He avoids cauliflower & broccoli. He should avoid alcohol but he doesn’t - he’s not a big drinker but does have the odd glass of wine or a whisky - no beers though

he doesn’t eat fatty meats but does eat the skin on chicken he has butter, avocado, olive oil, he doesn’t eat much bread at all or pasta, he has a very small portion of rice now and then. He has full fat Greek yogurt and hard cheeses. He drinks plenty of water but too much coffee!

I have diverticula disease which is also recommended a similar diet and I do full keto with fatty meats etc and I’ve not had a flare up in 10 years, it’s been the best diet for me both for my T2 and my diverticula disease

midnight blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou so much folks. Amazing advice. I said I was confused, eg having to eat high fibre. Yes I do eat meat, and have considered the keto diet as an option. I will check out your link Jo, and I'll check out the high protein and fat and low carb options. I'm relieved I'm not the only one out there dealing with this. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. Thanks again. I'm feeling a bit less confused and despondent. I think I may be feeling a lot more optimistic lol !!! Best wishes, Jo

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am using LCHF diet, which I interpret as being Low Carb Healthy Fat. So, the fats I eat are the natural ones that come with the low carb (e.g. bacon fat or lard, butter, olive oil and nuts. But I reduce to near zero all processed oils like seed oils, vegetable oils and 'spreadable' butters and marges., .

And get some oily fish inside you - its got good fat and vitamins that are often missing in the Western Diet. The Mediterranean Diet is a good one to follow, and the LCHF version of it is referred to as the Pioppi diet and thats the one I follow.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, I've not heard of that diet, I'll look into that too!!! Much appreciated.
And keep in mind that these diets can be mixed'n'matched, eh...! A lot of Mediterranean meals are keto or a smidge over, carnivore is even lower than keto... Just go with what is right for you physically and mentally: this is going to be something you're going to have to impliment for a long time yet, if all goes well, and it has to be enjoyable if you're going to keep it up. ;)

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Thankyou so much folks. Amazing advice. I said I was confused, eg having to eat high fibre. Yes I do eat meat, and have considered the keto diet as an option. I will check out your link Jo, and I'll check out the high protein and fat and low carb options. I'm relieved I'm not the only one out there dealing with this. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. Thanks again. I'm feeling a bit less confused and despondent. I think I may be feeling a lot more optimistic lol !!! Best wishes, Jo
Im the same U/Colitis and type 2.
I love Tesco finest wholemeal bread with seeds & grains. 2 slices a day keeps things working. Sometimes toasted with a scrap of marmite. But my diet is bad on the whole and my sugars very high atm. Drs aware x

midnight blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks happy hippy, mine are high for some reason at the moment, I've been on steroids for the best part of a year and just stopped them recently. But since stopping, my blood glucose is much higher. I'm due to start biologic medication, so hopefully it'll help with the uc and diabetes. I'll give that bread a go, sounds good. Take care and thanks again