UNACCEPTABLE NIGHT TIME HIGH SUGAR LEVELS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
very few
After being diagnosed as type 1 lada 1 year ago, with Hb1ac of 11.3, I have successfully managed to reduce it to 7.3. I have reduced my level of carbohydrates and generally been very careful with my food and drink intake and checking my blood levels and taking my insulin 4 times every day. Myself, my practice nurse, and the hospital endocronista are all happy with my progress, however I do have one problem that is causing me a problem. The majority of the time my blood levels remain within the acceptable level, when I check my blood level 2 hours after my evening meal, normally about 10.00 pm, it can be between 100 and 150 mg/dl ( 5.5 and 8.2 mmol/l ), but by morning my blood levels have risen by between another 100 and 150 mg/dl. Does anyone know the answer to my problem ? It has been suggested that I will have to check my blood about 4.00am and then inject insulin to reduce my morning highs. If anyone can give me any advice about similar experiences that they have encountered I would be very grateful.

3 x Humalog insulin, ratio of 1 unit per 10 grammes of carbohydrates, before meals , and 8 units of Lantus insulin before going to bed .

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'm the same. I've realised its because i go to bed so early, e.g 9pm, up at 6am. if i manage to stay up to 10pm thats good. My DN said not to worry about that.

I've been type 2 for 11 years, so not sure if i'm starting being a LADA or whatever
I'm a sufferer from liver dump problem as well, if i get up for the loo at 4am, my liver thinks i should get up and stay up rather than flop back in bed.

I've come of rapid insulin (yeay) and reduced long acting to 13u was on 24 u at night, but have started on Victoza which helps also with the weight gain and gone back on 1 x 40mg or whatever of glicazade or whichever one i'm on.

As my nurse said my body clock is out of kilter. i'm still trying to get under 7 fasting but not managed it yet. got 7.8 yesterday. Granted i'm not testing 2 hours after eating because Victoza slows digestion down or something.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or it might conceivably be the opposite thing, the Somogyi effect, where yr BS levels drop low, so you produce lots of BS to compensate.

Both Dr Bernstein and Gary Scheiner are good on this. Here is a Gary Scheiner extract on fine-tuning basal at night so as to avoid both:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/insulin/getting_down_to_basals/all/

But I'd really recommend both books.

A general article on the DP and the Somogyi:

http://diabetes.about.com/od/whatisdiabetes/qt/dawn_somogyi.htm

Reactions: 2 people