Undiagnosed diabetes

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking how easy it is to go undiagnosed with T2 for years for those who do not have any symptoms and how eventually it could be really harmful
I was only diagnosed about 2 years ago with T2 at the age of 76. I know I did not have it earlier than that as I had annual blood tests that covered glucose levels as well because I take blood pressure tablets. I had always been healthy never overweight and very rarely ever saw a doctor.When I was about 65 I went for the pneumonia jab the nurse took my blood pressure and said it was a bit high she checked it again over the next couple of weeks and although not exceedingly high she advised I saw the doctor who said it was an age thing and put me on tablets. .From then on I had regular BP checks which was always good and annual blood tests and eventually about 10 years later was diagnosed with T2. I never had any symptoms and have never felt any different then or now I am still fit no mobility problems so I am thankful for that. I probably would not have known I had T2 if I did not have the blood test every year but do wonder how many are going undiagnosed maybe for years until there is a serious problem

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that a couple of illnesses which saw me on antibiotics for long stretches could have been the start of my diabetes, but they were in my teens and early twenties - I was diagnosed at 65.
Luckily I always had trouble with my weight once I was working and away from my native haunts - I used to go miles every evening after school, so I started eating fewer carbohydrates. Later on I discovered Atkins, so I went through most of my adult life either eating low carb or getting fatter very quickly, feeling absolutely dreadful until I went back to low carb.
I now have normal readings, just from eating as I used to do - if I had not had 'health checks' I could have gone my whole life eating as I wanted and feeling great.

B

badcat

I was diagnosed in an emergency situation at 38 and told id been diabetic for at least 15-20 yesrs beforehand, given the eye damage that Was evident
Given that id been tested for diabetes several times as a child / adolescent ( urine tests only tho) and told I wasn't diabetic this was a bit of a surpise

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon by the way I was getting various issues with my health and the way I piled on the weight in 2 years for no apparent reason I had been diabetic for at least 7 years before diagnosis

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was formally diagnosed when I moved to my present location and changed doctors, but I know I had been diabetic for at least two years by then as had had HbA1c tests in the diabetic range the first one two years prior to my moving location.

The HbA1c tests where ordered by my neurologist the first one when he diagnosed neuropathy in my feet and hands so even then I had been showing signs of diabetic complications as I had been taking steroid medication for a long time several years in fact. So I have no idea how long I had been diabetic prior to diagnosis except it has to be a lot longer than two years.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Same here - I was diagnosed after a few years of feeling constantly ill with niggly ailments that - looking back - are symptoms of diabetes. My husband thinks I was showing symptoms soon after a hospital stay I had about 8 years before I was diagnosed when I had a pleural effusion due to having had pneumonia. He says it was shortly after that hospital stay that he noticed I started needed to sleep after almost every meal.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My dad was diagnosed as type 2 after a heart attack for which the diabetes was a significant contributory factor.

Reactions: dbr10

Lily76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was disgnosed relatively young (39. I'm 41 now) but had been putting on more and more weight over the previous 4 years which I found difficult to lose (I made a few successful attempts but nothing I could stick to).

Eventually I was feeling constantly tired (mainly in the morning) and was getting ridiculously hot. I've always been prone to sweating but this was more pronounced. I've also always had a challenging cycle. I thought I was going through early menopause!!

They diagnosed T2 and I realise why all those diets (mainly carb centred) just didn't work for me. I was hbac1 48/49.

I suspect my T2 was brought on by my eating habits. I comfort ate through a difficult relationship and after it ended. It continued as a habit and then (in my opinion) tipped me over into T2. I am convinced that in my case controlled carb eating and weight loss will bring me back to "normal" provided I don't start bingeing again.

I know T2 isn't always about weight and overeating but I believe in my case it was...added to what was probably a hormonal susceptibility [I was found to have polycystic ovaries at about age 24. I didn't have the syndrome though].

Just my 2 cents. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was disgnosed relatively young (39. I'm 41 now) but had been putting on more and more weight over the previous 4 years which I found difficult to lose (I made a few successful attempts but nothing I could stick to).

Eventually I was feeling constantly tired (mainly in the morning) and was getting ridiculously hot. I've always been prone to sweating but this was more pronounced. I've also always had a challenging cycle. I thought I was going through early menopause!!

They diagnosed T2 and I realise why all those diets (mainly carb centred) just didn't work for me. I was hbac1 48/49.

I suspect my T2 was brought on by my eating habits. I comfort ate through a difficult relationship and after it ended. It continued as a habit and then (in my opinion) tipped me over into T2. I am convinced that in my case controlled carb eating and weight loss will bring me back to "normal" provided I don't start bingeing again.

I know T2 isn't always about weight and overeating but I believe in my case it was...added to what was probably a hormonal susceptibility [I was found to have polycystic ovaries at about age 24. I didn't have the syndrome though].

Just my 2 cents. :)
I think that you are unduly hard on yourself - there are people who are overweight and who are not diabetic, there are people who really eat a lot and do not put on weight - but if you have a problem with glucose then it is easy to put on weight and if you eat just normal amounts of carbs it just goes straight to fat for a while and then it builds up in the blood - and even though the consensus is that diets should work unless the dieter is not sticking to it, the plain fact is that some people cannot eat carbs to any extent and maintain a normal weight.
I used to think that I must be able to metabolise carbs like a ruminant as I got so much nutrition from them.

Reactions: Lily76

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty sure I was diabetic for quite a while before diagnosis as my initial HbA1C was 108. Some of the "obvious" symptoms were not so obvious as I've always gone to the loo a lot, took medication for years that caused dry mouth/thirst and weight gain. In the end it was a stubborn abscess that led to diagnosis.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It just shows how it can go undetected for a long time unless someone has other health problems and that shows it up. Most people seem to have had something else that they needed to see the doctor for and then diabetes was diagnosed or they had various symptoms that pointed to it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It just shows how it can go undetected for a long time unless someone has other health problems and that shows it up. Most people seem to have had something else that they needed to see the doctor for and then diabetes was diagnosed or they had various symptoms that pointed to it.

And now everyone aged 40 and over (and not already receiving regular checks) is invited for a health check including an HbA1c. If they decline the invitation there is nothing that can be done.

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went undiagnosed for about a year I had no real symptoms expect passing water more often. My parents have diabetes too so I decided to test my blood sugar levels and it was 28.7! So went straight to the doctors had bloods done then a week later put of metformin. This was 8 days ago, checked my blood this morning 11.7! Really pleased with how it's going down.

Lisa

Reactions: Antje77 and Chook

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I went undiagnosed for about a year I had no real symptoms expect passing water more often. My parents have diabetes too so I decided to test my blood sugar levels and it was 28.7! So went straight to the doctors had bloods done then a week later put of metformin. This was 8 days ago, checked my blood this morning 11.7! Really pleased with how it's going down.

Lisa
Well done - have you changed your diet also? I know Metformin takes a while to have an effect (couldn't take it myself due to the GI effects)!

Last edited:
Reactions: xlisa23x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I 'found' a couple of new diabetics where I used to work. There were a couple of occasions when, if pushed for time, I'd have do my post meal BG while writing up the day's reports and occasionally a co-worker would ask me to test her's, too - which usually meant testing everyone sitting round the table writing up reports. Two of these random tests showed undiagnosed co-workers with their BG in the teens and one girl, who had already been diagnosed and was on metformin and insulin was up at the mid 20s. Turned out she couldn't be bothered to test because she knew it would be high. No one in our local health centre had bothered to consider that she needed to be taught how to carb count.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I come from a long line of slim, fit, active family members (father's side of the family), going back 4 generations now.
Only one ever diagnosed type 2, yet they have all had identical symptoms, starting in their 60s.
I am the first girl, and the first fat one, and the first to get the symptoms earlier than retirement.

Of course I am now waiting to see if my sister develops any signs of it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lisa
Well done...

Reactions: xlisa23x

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done - have you changed your diet also? I know Metformin takes a while to have an effect (couldn't take it myself due to the GI effects)!
Yes I have cut out carbs. I had some effects but they seem to be going thankfully. Last time I took my blood glucose it was 7.9

Lisa

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Yes I have cut out carbs. I had some effects but they seem to be going thankfully. Last time I took my blood glucose it was 7.9

Lisa
It will be a gradual process but well worth it (PS - my BS at diagnosis - 29!).

I now have people commenting on how much weight I have lost over the last year (4 stone and still going). Its amazing how much of a difference a reduced carb diet makes, both in terms of weight and BS levels. Either way - well done for taking the initiative and taking control of your health.