Type 1 unexplainable high blood sugar

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I’m a bit concerned as the last few days I’ve woken up with high blood sugar out of nowhere.

I woke up today and it was relatively normal though but in the last hour it’s risen from 6.4 to 15 and i haven’t even eaten! I have naturally been giving correction doses but they’re doing very little to help either.

I haven’t made any changes to my diet, background insulin or anything! I’m totally baffled.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you stressed? Have you been sleeping badly? Are you hot? Have you been exercising less? Are you unwell? Are you in pain? Are you on any new medication? ...

There is more than just insulin which affects your blood sugars?

The rise without food maybe because you are not eating your body thinks you are starving yourself so your liver has dumped sugar to keep you going.

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you stressed? Have you been sleeping badly? Are you hot? Have you been exercising less? Are you unwell? Are you in pain? Are you on any new medication? ...

There is more than just insulin which affects your blood sugars?

The rise without food maybe because you are not eating your body thinks you are starving yourself so your liver has dumped sugar to keep you going.

I’m not stressed, my sleep is good and i go to the gym every day routinely, I have taken all of these factors into consideration but I am still lost for an explanation. The correction dose I have taken this morning also has not had any impact on my sugars, I’m still on 15 and that’s after a long workout and insulin. I also know exercise can increase blood sugar but until today it’s always made mine drop significantly. I will change my insulin cartridge in case there’s an issue there but I don’t think that’s the issue either. Ty for the reply.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it repeats I would assume its the liver thats responsible.......ie dawn phenomenon/foot to the floor...

DP/FTTF hormones like cortisol will also incease insulin resistance which makes your normail during the day corrections no use....

If it is liver related [testing required to confirm] you may need to make some adjustments to your corrction strength and try and break the fast as soon as you can...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have periods of time like that and you can't understand why. I just accept it's part of the life when on insulin and you may never know the cause. T1 doesn't always follow any rules.