1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Unpaid

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by carbolysis, Aug 17, 2017.

1. carbolysis

carbolysis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went on a job and they gave me uniform and trained me for few minutes then I worked as normal for the rest of the shift. However, I decided this is not for me so I quited. Now they don't pay me for that day, is this legal? They argue that they spend money on uniform (I returned it) and that I was training on that day (which is not true, because I just did the job for the rest of the shift). I was never told that first day would be training and it would be unpaid. Any advice?

2. vic hill

vic hill Type 1 · Well-Known Member

carbolysis
    how mush would you HAVE BEEN PAID net or tax to deduct
    interested member
    vic

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The cheek of them, assuming you had a contract of employment you could check the terms and see if it mentions non-payment for the first shift (but I doubt it will).

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It will probably state in the contract of employment, what the period of notice to quit is. It could be two days or five days in retail etc.

I suggest the OP goes to the business's union rep, and put a complaint in about non payment of wages after quitting on day one of employment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook