Update - EXAMS :(

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heeeeeey!

It's been a while since I have actually been on the forum so I thought I'd have a little browse. As a student studying A levels my exams have started this week and I've already had one (Sociology - Education & Research Methods) which went brilliantly well and I was happy with the questions on the paper. My blood sugar levels were neutral throughout - I thought they were either going to go really high or really low so it was a relief that they didn't.

The one thing that left me a bit confused and amused (I rhymed looool) was the exam invigilator had come up to me and stopped me mid way through doing my exam paper and asked me what was in the small black bag (the case which held my testing kit) and then began to unzip it and nose through it which although I see why, think it was unnecessary, They were made aware that I was diabetic and that I would have my kit and hypo treatments on my desk in the case of a hypo. I don't see why he felt the need to interrupt me mid way through doing my paper to distract me from the questions - I also didn't get any extra time which is a bit annoying as the time I spent explaining myself to him I could've been doing my exam paper.

I just hope that this isn't a reoccurring incident which happens in the remaining exams I have.

Reactions: 4 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That does sound a bit unnecessary.

Could you try putting your kit in a clear pencil case / make up bag so they can see (without having to unzip & rummage & interrupt you) that there is nothing exciting/cheat-y in your diabetic kit? Could you try reminding the invigilator before the exam begins that you are diabetic (and here's my kit what I need to keep with me, do you want to check it now rather than interrupting me mid exam to do it)?

Lots of luck with the exams!

Reactions: 2 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I confess I'm not from a school/ sixth form background and most of my teaching was in university. However, if this had occurred in any of our exam settings there would have been hell to pay. Most likely the student would have raised a preliminary complaint with the Dean and argued that opening the testing kit case (albeit under supervision) was an infringement of privacy. Undoubtedly the Disability Act would also have been raised and the invigilator could well have found him/herself carpeted for such behaviour.

I would urge you to raise the matter with your Head of Year to ensure this sort of behaviour isn't repeated. Indeed, it may be worth mentioning that the investigation by the invigilator affected your flow of thought.

The last thing any school would want to see is a complaint being levied against them. As a fe!low sociologist every success in all your exams. May your results be brilliant and all your dream be one reality.

Reactions: 7 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck on your exams.

I don't really have a solution for you, but as has already been suggested raise it with the school before your next exam?! Especially as invigilators should not be interrupting you mid session, any concerns re a non see through case should have been raised either on entry or upon your finishing your exam. Could you label your case (i.e. postit note on the case/sticky label etc) so as it can be recognized as your diabetic kit? I'm just shooting in the dark as im neither a teacher or invigilator.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, definitely raise it with your Examinations Officer and your Head of Year. This should not have happened and the invigilators should have been aware of your situation.

Good luck, by the way, my daughter is doing her ICT A Level this week.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an invigilator at a Sixth Form College, so I'm right in the thick of it at the moment. It does sound as if your situation could have been better handled, but I'm going to be a bit contrarian:

Anything on a candidate's desk in an exam must be in a transparent case and this should have been made clear to you before the exam season started. This is an Exams Board rule and nothing to do with the school or college. The invigilator was well within his/her rights to ask what was in the case and then to see for themselves; they would be failing in their job if they didn't. If it took a significant amount of time to do this, then it should have been added on to your exam time; if it only took a minute - not so much. As someone else has already suggested, if you put the stuff in a clear case or bag, there shouldn't be a problem in future. If you'd rather not do that, then either you can ask the invigilator to look after it, and bring it to you if you need it, or leave it with your other possessions, at the side or back of the room.

In my experience, most candidates leave their stuff in their bag at the back of the room (we always have a few who are T1, each year, because it's a big college), and actually leave the room to check their levels and inject if needed: apart from anything else, it gives them more privacy. If you do need to leave the room for this reason, the time spent doing it should be added on to your exam time and an incident report completed, in case the hypo has a bearing on how well you are able to do the paper

The invigilator(s) should certainly have been aware that you are diabetic: anybody taking an exam who has a condition of any kind is included on a list that is given to senior invigilators and they brief their team accordingly. If they didn't do that, then heads should roll: it's very important to all invigilators that they are aware of any health issues that could possibly arise in the course of an exam. As already suggested, have a word with the school/college's Exams Officer so that you can agree how the situation can be handled in future.

With my HR Professional's hat on, I wouldn't set too much store in making a noise about the Disability Discrimination Act, by the way. In order to prove discrimination, you'd have to demonstrate that someone without a disability would be treated differently in the same situation. Since anybody with a non see-through case on their desk would have it searched by an Invigilator, whatever was in it, there's no discrimination......

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ex teacher here. Invigilators can sometimes get a bit erm...enthusiastic at times. I think it's maybe the power goes to some of their heads, most are great but others...not so much.

They were right to ask what was in your bag. They were wrong to pick it up and go through it without your permission. You should have been able to empty the bag onto the desk and then if they wanted to touch your meter etc then they should have asked. It's horrible when someone touches your things without permission, especially when it's something important to you.

The advice to put it in a clear pencil case is excellent. If you were delayed more than a few minutes you should have been able to have that time back. There's no reason you should have to "do the walk of shame" out of the exam hall, do it at your desk if that's best for you - you're much less likely to draw attention testing quietly or having some fast acting carbs at your desk than strolling out of the exam hall and having to explain yourself.

Good luck with the rest of your exams!

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That does sound a bit unnecessary.

Could you try putting your kit in a clear pencil case / make up bag so they can see (without having to unzip & rummage & interrupt you) that there is nothing exciting/cheat-y in your diabetic kit? Could you try reminding the invigilator before the exam begins that you are diabetic (and here's my kit what I need to keep with me, do you want to check it now rather than interrupting me mid exam to do it)?

Lots of luck with the exams!

I was told my the exams officer at my college that it wasn't necessary to do so - I had already asked if I needed to change the bag it was in but she said it would be fine as they would know why it's there and what it was without question

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, definitely raise it with your Examinations Officer and your Head of Year. This should not have happened and the invigilators should have been aware of your situation.

Good luck, by the way, my daughter is doing her ICT A Level this week.

I did mention it to my tutor after my exam and she said she will speak to them about it.

Thank you! I hope your daughter does great in her ICT

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I confess I'm not from a school/ sixth form background and most of my teaching was in university. However, if this had occurred in any of our exam settings there would have been hell to pay. Most likely the student would have raised a preliminary complaint with the Dean and argued that opening the testing kit case (albeit under supervision) was an infringement of privacy. Undoubtedly the Disability Act would also have been raised and the invigilator could well have found him/herself carpeted for such behaviour.

I would urge you to raise the matter with your Head of Year to ensure this sort of behaviour isn't repeated. Indeed, it may be worth mentioning that the investigation by the invigilator affected your flow of thought.

The last thing any school would want to see is a complaint being levied against them. As a fe!low sociologist every success in all your exams. May your results be brilliant and all your dream be one reality.

Thank you I really hope my results are good aswell!

But I've spoken to my tutor and hopefully it'll be resolved or make sure the situation I was in doesn't happen again to me or anyone else for that matter