Using Fructose

PickledPepper

I came across a product called Fruisana, which claims to be pure fructose made from fruits.

It has a low GI index (19).

Does anyone use this? Is it safe for type 2?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Fruisana Pure Fructose Fruit Sugar 250g...the low GI sugar
Fruisiana
Nutritional Information Per100g

Energy 1692kj/398kcal, Carbohydrate 100g (of which sugars 100g), Protein 9g, Fat 0g, Fibre 0g, Sodium 0g.

Additional Information:

Fruisana's Glycaemic index is just 19 (regular sugar 65, glucose 100), enabling you to reduce the overall Glycaemic Load-total blood glucose raising potential-of your diet, and to avoid the highs and lows in blood glucose associated with high GI foods.

Make your own mind up about this stuff........

Ken

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Fructose does not raise blood glucose, but it has other long term undesirable effects. I suggest you read work by Dr. Robert Lustig on the subject. Then you can decide for yourself if to use it.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Some more information about Fructose.

Extracts from the website.

Fructose is a monosaccharide (simple sugar), which the body can use for energy. Because it does not cause blood sugar rise tremendously (has a low glycemic index), it was once thought that fructose was a good substitute for sucrose (table sugar). However, the American Diabetes Association and nutritional experts have changed their minds about this.

Read the full information here:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrit ... angers.htm

This is potentially bad for at least three reasons:
•High blood triglycerides are a risk factor for heart disease.
•Fructose ends up circumventing the normal appetite signaling system, so appetite-regulating hormones aren't triggered--and you're left feeling unsatisfied. This is probably at least part of the reason why excess fructose consumption is associated with weight gain.
•There is growing evidence that excess fructose consumption may facilitate insulin resistance, and eventually type 2 diabetes. However, some of this effect may be from chemicals in soda which reacts with the high fructose corn syrup.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Apparently it can also give you the runs! :shock:

PickledPepper

I guess I'm just trying to find ways to circumvent the fact that I have to learn to live without 'sweet'.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

On a related note, doesn't the mounds of fructose ingested via the above average amounts of fruits eaten by many diabetics not have the same effects as taking this stuff?

I've heard the fibre in real fruit may buffer this effect, but it's hard to see how?

Synonym

Dislikes
PickledPepper said:
I guess I'm just trying to find ways to circumvent the fact that I have to learn to live without 'sweet'.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

On a related note, doesn't the mounds of fructose ingested via the above average amounts of fruits eaten by many diabetics not have the same effects as taking this stuff?

I've heard the fibre in real fruit may buffer this effect, but it's hard to see how?

You cannot circumvent diabetes - fact! :evil:

You will find that as your taste buds get used to no longer being assaulted by SWEET you will gradually no longer want it and actually enjoy the real taste of your food. :)

As regards 'mounds' of fructose this is doubtful since most of us need to be well controlled in what we eat, including fruit. Portion control is as important as what we eat. :roll:

Let us know how you get on with finding your way on your new diabetes path. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
PickledPepper said:
IOn a related note, doesn't the mounds of fructose ingested via the above average amounts of fruits eaten by many diabetics not have the same effects as taking this stuff?

I agree with Synonym.

As a long time Diabetic, I have never eaten mounds of fruit of any sort ?? I do eat fruits but only in strict moderation as they will have an effect on your Bg levels. You have to be careful with everything you eat and there is certainly no 'average' amount of fruit we eat. Everybody is so different in how they can tolerate fruits. Testing is the only way to find out what it does to your levels. Before and 1, 2 sometimes 3 and 4 hrs after eating it.

Ken

PickledPepper

I've yet to get to that testing stage. Times are tight with the recession and I hope my nurse will give me a tester and stuff so I don't have to fork out.

I was just wondering, to those who have lived with the condition for some years, does it ever settle down so to speak.

Can we get to the point with our dieting that we live life as before, just eating differently?

I'm not sure of what to make of the weight loss either. Is it a blessing or curse. Lol

I hate having to pull my trousers, jeans up every so often. Reminds me of my 9 year old nephew...

Never needed belts before.......

Clothes no longer fit.....

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again PP :)

The weight issue depends rather on your starting point! :lol: Some of us can't afford to lose anything as we are already skinny but for those who do need to lose the weight I suppose it is a big help - if it falls off! :roll: The weight not the trousers I mean! :shock:

From the postings on here I don't think we will ever be 'off duty' with diabetes but it is easier once you have got your head round it all and know what to look out for. Keeping your BG levels down is essential for your long term health as you will no doubt want to avoid all the complications you have been warned about.

If you start with keeping a food diary and cutting down on your carbs then your levels should start to improve very slowly. Buying a Collins gem Carb Counter will open your eyes to the amount of carbs in even the most innocent looking foods and will help you make wise food choices. When you go to see the DN take your food diary with you and your carb counter and really talk to her and let her see how serious you are about taking control of your condition. If you have also got some weight off, as it appears you have, she may well be happy to give you one of the meters the reps dish out. You can but try! :roll:

Going for walks is a good idea and doesn't cost too much either! :)

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I'm afraid fructose has the same effect as sugar on me. Sends the blood soaring. So I stick to artificial sweetener. Not perfect, I know, but who's perfect?!? :D :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PP
not all fruits contain fructose. Some contain sucrose and some glucose.
You need to go to American data bases to find which is which.
Hana

Kash2001

OK I've been on fructose for many years, as a type 1 it does gently raise sugar levels but no more than no sugar marmalade or bananas.

Alot of the USA discussion appears to be related to those that aren't diabetic so I don't get there argument. The idea you'll eat more cause it's not satisfying is rubbish.

I have eaten fructose in cakes (gluten free too :)) and know one knows any different.

It's a great replacement, I use it in tea rather than the chemical replacements.

Health wise, I've low good blood pressure, fit, not over weight and relatively healthy with good long term sugar level count around 6/7 ish.

I cannot see why people don't try it for themselves rather than listen to self interested marketing talk. If sugar levels are good, no weight gain and tastes good what's not too like. Unless it causes cancer or damages kidneys and liver then what'd the problem. If it doesn't suit your digestion then fair enough.

It's great for baking just use a lot less, no saccharine taste, good in tea and if I weren't diabetic I would use sugar I'd use the fructose sugar instead.

Good luck with it if I make it to 70 yrs I'll be happy. Good blood sugar and sweet taste - all good.

Kash2001

Watched the video, OK the main point of concern is in high quantities on consuming - well this goes for a lot of things, chips, chocolate (if able to eat it)we should all know that high volumes/concentrates even most vitamins excluding Vit C can cause issues and harm to the body. I dont think anyone here is suggesting eating half a box a day, but a little in tea, an odd cake mix and on a cereal I dont think will cause any issues, but its for the individual to decide.

I wont take sugar, chemical sweeteners, xylitol or honey as a replacement. The fruit sugar does lift levels but slowly and with a low GI its what we as diabetic type1 are looking for, slow absorption.

You can find scares on nearly everything if you look hard enough, xylitol is an bigger issue but people are still using it.

There isnt a perfect replacement so we have to make choices, low sugar blood monitoring, few spikes in levels and good tea and food is a fair compromise for me, there is way to much scaremongering and invested interests by chemists and companies. The truth maybe out there, but really there is no perfect replacement so we have to live with it.

ATB