Using Omnipod pump with Dexcom G5 CGM

DaveA4282

Good evening all,

Does anyone have any experience in pairing these two, particularly on kids? My 4yo was fitted with the pump last week after 2 months using his Dexcom CGM. Since the pump fitting (the two are far more than the recommended 3" apart), I have noticed that I get "No data" notifications quite regularly from his CGM. I swapped his sensor yesterday so it doesn't appear to be a faulty sensor...

The pump is a handy bit of kit, but if it renders his CGM next to useless I'd rather break out the pens again!!

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How old exactly is your G5 transmitter? It sounds like it could be approaching the end of its lifespan. They only last 3 months. Although I think there are xdrip ways of making them live longer.

I've only ever used G5 with the omnipod. I don't think there's any dexcom interference from the omnipod. I get quite a lot of no data when using a phone as the receiver, but it works more consistently when using a dexcom receiver.

There is an omnipod and dexcom users Facebook group. I've not seen anything on there reporting omnipod makes the G5 "next to useless". It might be worth joining and asking your question there.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @DaveA4282 - you shouldn't see any issues with the OmniPod and Dexcom G5 interfering. They use totally different frequencies and protocols to communicate (Pod is around 600 mHz standard radio and the G5 2.4 GHz and bluetooth).

It would be worth checking the facebook groups and seeing if anyone has seen this though.

iHs

The only time I've seen loss of signal on my mobile using a G5 transmitter, is through using xDrip but this usually rectifies itself over 1 or 2 days using a new sensor. Once a few days have gone past, the sensor and transmitter behave and the loss of signal only happens if my phone is downstairs and I go upstairs or I go outside.
Using my upper arm I usually get about 20 days of reasonable data but after that, I get noisy readings with 2 arrows going up followed by 2 arrows going down and then horizontal arrows followed by random dots everywhere. I then do a blood test to see what my true bg levels are and do a calibration. This works for a while but the same thing happens the following day and it starts to get worse. I now try to get my money's worth out of these sensors so when it looks as though the G5 is failing, I swop over to using the same sensor with a G4. So far, the same sensor has been in my upper arm for 39 days. Not sure how much longer it will go on for but if it goes to 40 to 45 days, then that will suit me.