UTI cystitis and swimming

peppermintT

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone found a link between daily swimming in a pool with chlorine and getting cystitis infection and or UTI?

I'm doing the Swim22 challenge for Diabetes UK, I've completed 18 miles since February 22, I'm 4 miles off my target of 22 miles, and I've just gone down with a
UTI , missed my swim today going to the GP, and antibiotics are making me feel a bit rough. Really hoping to be OK by Monday and do my daily 30 lengths next week.
I did a bit of googling and some people think that daily exposure to swimming pool water can sometimes cause UTI (urinary tract infection).
I have also found out that diabetics are more prone to these infections. I'm D2 diet controlled. Is anyone else doing lot of swimming and had a problem?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone found a link between daily swimming in a pool with chlorine and getting cystitis infection and or UTI?

I'm doing the Swim22 challenge for Diabetes UK, I've completed 18 miles since February 22, I'm 4 miles off my target of 22 miles, and I've just gone down with a
UTI , missed my swim today going to the GP, and antibiotics are making me feel a bit rough. Really hoping to be OK by Monday and do my daily 30 lengths next week.
I did a bit of googling and some people think that daily exposure to swimming pool water can sometimes cause UTI (urinary tract infection).
I have also found out that diabetics are more prone to these infections. I'm D2 diet controlled. Is anyone else doing lot of swimming and had a problem?

Regular swimmer, no problem with UTIs, but often get a rash as I suffer from eczema. Suggest drink more water, empty bladder immediately after getting out of pool. Get out of wet swimsuit and have a warm shower as soon as possible, taking care to run the clean fresh water around the genital area. Also, bathing in a warm bath with handful of seasalt in it could help, as I find this removes the chlorine smell that tends to linger on skin.

Good luck with finishing the swim challenge