Venting: diabetes education session

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
>>>>. I' ll do the session and feedback the info......
A real trooper! For years we have requested that the NHS become more proactive and they seem to be following this in their approach to this course, but perhaps they should be less in yer face over it. I suspect that they get paid for bums on seats.

Oooopsie. Independant company, so not NHS, Pay by numbers still applicable though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - in the industries I worked in, it was unwise to be ill or to try to take time off for anything to do with health matters. We have to live in the real world.

As for the pressure and hounding - not at all good for your health. Seriously unprofessional.

valann

The flippin cheek of them don't they realise stress will make things worse for you? Mine tried to bully me into one of those courses and I told them I would need a taxi to get there and space for my husband (my carer) as I am mostly a wheelchair user, and that could they organise that for me please.... never heard from them again about these courses lol Seriously, I think I would have to talk to the doctor or practice manager and make a complaint explaining a) you work and b) this is causing you a lot of stress.

I hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

Reactions: jjraak

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting - it makes those of us who are having similar issues feel that we aren't the only ones.

How I wish I could do some of their staff training!

D

Deleted member 556660

This is a long one - get a coffee.....

Right, the afternoon is done (sorry for the late feedback) - it was 4 hours (4!) online, using Microsoft teams.. Fortunately there was a small hiccup, and though I could see them - they couldn't see me only hear me .....

It started off innocently enough about how diabetes works, how high BS affects the body etc..... and was OK..... then came the 'healthy plate' and recommended diet..... honestly - it drove me round the bend...... here's 'their' idea of a good day.... for diabetics..

Breakfast - 2 rounds of toast with jam (jam?)
Lunch - jacket potato (size based on the palm of your hand, as per the healthy plate) with whatever filling you want
Dinner - leaving enough space to have a pasta dish.....

My comment was if I ate like that all the time, I'd be dead very soon (sarcasm) - response..... you should not be frightened of carbs.. Me - I'm not frightened of them, I'm just respectful of them.....

No fats.... cut everything off your meat - skin your chicken..... no cream, no yogurt, skimmed milk only........

Don't use a glucometer - "who told you to use one of those?" she said ... Me "I thought it was a good idea, then I could see what effect foods were having on my BS".... no need - waste of time....

Me "where are you getting all this information from?" Her "from diabetes UK"... Me "I don't think so, a lot of what you are saying is contradictory"...

So, where do we go from here - well honestly, I complained to the DN when I saw her yesterday...... Told her what they recommended, and she wasn't best pleased.

I did try to say that my BS has resolved from 11.5 down to 7.1 in three months on a Keto diet - but I'm told that Keto doesn't work, and I'll end up with heart disease instead... or as well as.......

There was a feedback form..... I may have been a bit over the top when I filled it in.......

Honestly though 4 hours starting at a computer screen with a 10 minute break to be bombarded with 'bad' news.... nothing positive - everything I was doing was wrong. Like previous posters I have a supportive DN but a doctor who didn't even have my notes when he rang me.

Upshot as of today is that I have another blood test / urine test / foot check in December - but I can't make an appointment as the diary doesn't go that far in advance.... had the Retinopathy earlier in the week, results in a two more weeks....

I can only hope that the 'so far no medication' will continue......

Rant over - I feel great, have lost 2 stone, and the BS has come down..... I think that's enough for now..... thanks for listening...... :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch - jacket potato (size based on the palm of your hand, as per the healthy plate) with whatever filling you want
They really are desperate for lifetime customers....

There was a feedback form..... I may have been a bit over the top when I filled it in.......

You will fast become a forum superstar! Well done you..

valann

This is a long one - get a coffee.....

Right, the afternoon is done (sorry for the late feedback) - it was 4 hours (4!) online, using Microsoft teams.. Fortunately there was a small hiccup, and though I could see them - they couldn't see me only hear me .....

It started off innocently enough about how diabetes works, how high BS affects the body etc..... and was OK..... then came the 'healthy plate' and recommended diet..... honestly - it drove me round the bend...... here's 'their' idea of a good day.... for diabetics..

My comment was if I ate like that all the time, I'd be dead very soon (sarcasm) - response..... you should not be frightened of carbs.. Me - I'm not frightened of them, I'm just respectful of them.....

No fats.... cut everything off your meat - skin your chicken..... no cream, no yogurt, skimmed milk only........

Don't use a glucometer - "who told you to use one of those?" she said ... Me "I thought it was a good idea, then I could see what effect foods were having on my BS".... no need - waste of time....

Me "where are you getting all this information from?" Her "from diabetes UK"... Me "I don't think so, a lot of what you are saying is contradictory"...

So, where do we go from here - well honestly, I complained to the DN when I saw her yesterday...... Told her what they recommended, and she wasn't best pleased.

I did try to say that my BS has resolved from 11.5 down to 7.1 in three months on a Keto diet - but I'm told that Keto doesn't work, and I'll end up with heart disease instead... or as well as.......

Honestly though 4 hours starting at a computer screen with a 10 minute break to be bombarded with 'bad' news.... nothing positive - everything I was doing was wrong. Like previous posters I have a supportive DN but a doctor who didn't even have my notes when he rang me.

Upshot as of today is that I have another blood test / urine test / foot check in December - but I can't make an appointment as the diary doesn't go that far in advance.... had the Retinopathy earlier in the week, results in a two more weeks....

I can only hope that the 'so far no medication' will continue......

Rant over - I feel great, have lost 2 stone, and the BS has come down..... I think that's enough for now..... thanks for listening...... :)
I'm wondering if this meeting was run by my DN and Doctor as this all sounds so familiar and what they keep telling me...

Well done you for sticking it out, not sure I would have.

Congratulations on the weight loss and lower BS (clapping) :)

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bravo! You rock!

I particularly like the "diary doesn't go up as far..." excuse, which has been trotted out to me oh so many times and not just by the NHS. WHY DOESN'T IT?!

I used to work in a very hard-bitten industry. Diaries were written up for the whole year, and leave requests had to be in by the end of January. It can be done.

D

Deleted member 556660

Bravo! You rock!

I particularly like the "diary doesn't go up as far..." excuse, which has been trotted out to me oh so many times and not just by the NHS. WHY DOESN'T IT?!

I used to work in a very hard-bitten industry. Diaries were written up for the whole year, and leave requests had to be in by the end of January. It can be done.
Me too - the insurance industry just didn't allow for short term diaries....I'm pretty sure the hard pressed NHS, would want to know when everyone has their holidays booked..... :(

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too - the insurance industry just didn't allow for short term diaries....I'm pretty sure the hard pressed NHS, would want to know when everyone has their holidays booked..... :(
My GP surgery has an online diary that only allows bookings a month ahead. My PC diary is a bit better, but it scrubs the board clean behid it so I only get the info for six months ahead, and one month behind. Makes remembering birthdays difficult.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried complaining to the practice manager ? One of the staff must have signed you up for this unwanted course without your agreement, so you need these people to be informed that they're wasting their time. Tell the practice manager that it is your choice, not that of any doctor or other practice staff.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hardly dare post this:

When I was first diagnosed part of the information I was given was to book up on a course, but there wasn't one available within easy reach locally. In the meantime I was eating low carb after GP's suggestion re Atkins diet. At a review I mentioned I hadn't yet been able to get on a course, and he looked at my notes and said "I don't think you need bother..."

I'm constantly thankful (and often amazed!) how fortunate I've been with the advice and support I've had....