Very high readings

alembic1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.
I have been incredibly stupid.
After ( last year) being in remission..( diet & exercise controlled)..I went off the rails.
For the last 6 or so months, I have been drinking far too much, and ‘ relaxed’ my diet.
I gave up alcohol 2 weeks ago, and started some light exercise, and eating low carb meals starting on Monday19th September.
I decided to resume regular testing again.
The trouble is ( I know it’s only been a short while)…my fasting readings are around 16…rising to 20 2 hours after a low carb ,high fibre meal.
I am now really worried that it might never come down to my previous levels…( typically around 5-7 2 hours after eating).
I’m beginning to get very worried.
Can anyone offer any kind of reassurance..that if I carry on ‘being good’ from now on…that normality will return…or have I done some lasting damage??
Any help& advice would be most welcome.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I don’t know a lot about how long it would take to bring levels down but my gut feeling is it’s only been 48 hours and it should happen. Well done for getting back into it so quickly and let us know how you get on.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t know a lot about how long it would take to bring levels down but my gut feeling is it’s only been 48 hours and it should happen. Well done for getting back into it so quickly and let us know how you get on.

I am not an expert on this but assume you need to cut down on your carbs and start exercising everyday without fail. Don’t expect immediate result, and I wish you all the luck in the world. Please let us know how you are doing.

alembic1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive been looking for reasons ( because I actually feel fine).
..just discovered that the test strips I’m using expired in August 2015!

Could that be the reason …possibly??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ive been looking for reasons ( because I actually feel fine).
..just discovered that the test strips I’m using expired in August 2015!

Could that be the reason …possibly??
Definitely. I have no idea what your levels actually are but I wouldn't trust the result from strips that much out of date. Do let us know how you go when you get some new strips. :)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
20 2 hours after a low carb ,high fibre meal.
Did you confirm that high reading by washing your hands and repeating the test? 20 seems exceptionally high 2hrs after a meal. It's possible to have a out of date or faulty test strip or maybe something on your hands causing a high result.
What was the meal that caused such a high reading, low carb, high fibre doesn't give us much idea of what could have caused your spike. Fibre is just another form of carbohydrate and although it does not get digested and just passes through, some high fibre foods also contain lots of carbs that do get digested, oats, sweat potatoes, beans, quinoa, wholemeal bread, to name just a few.

alembic1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you confirm that high reading by washing your hands and repeating the test? 20 seems exceptionally high 2hrs after a meal. It's possible to have a out of date or faulty test strip or maybe something on your hands causing a high result.
What was the meal that caused such a high reading, low carb, high fibre doesn't give us much idea of what could have caused your spike. Fibre is just another form of carbohydrate and although it does not get digested and just passes through, some high fibre foods also contain lots of carbs that do get digested, oats, sweat potatoes, beans, quinoa, wholemeal bread, to name just a few.
Hi fibre low carb bread, with natural peanut butter. A handful of roasted monkey nuts, and a protein shake made with water (1g carbs)…

alembic1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a follow up post.
I bought some new test strips and tested my levels…I’m overjoyed to say I getting good readings…so it appears that expired strips were the culprit…..it really scared me.
I’m so grateful to the good folk on this forum, for your supportive messages, and understanding.
It’s very reassuring to know that there’s people here that know what we’re all going through, and some very sound advice.
My thanks.