Very, Very Cold

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a type 2, newly diagnosed (3 months) and controlled by diet only.

My problem is that I am very, very cold all the time. Really cold. And its not just that i feel cold. My body is actually cold to the touch.

I am having about 1400 cals a day and 60-80g of carbs. I have been doing this for nearly 2 months, and that is when the feeling cold began. I cant eat more as i have loads of weight to lose.

I have had my thyroid check and my hormone levels and they are both fine.

Any ideas anyone please? or anyone get this? I am getting fed up of shivering all the time, hiding under the duvet and blanket in the evening and having constant hot water bottles.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Common complaint with most low-carbers I think. Don't forget, the weather is awful at the moment when it should be hotter. I had the heating on last night!
Pre-D when I was 7 stones heavier, I avoided heat like the plague. The thought of spending any time at all in the sun, let alone a sunny holiday filled me with dread. Now I would give anything to live in the Sahara!

Look at it this way, when we are cold, we burn more energy.

wiflib

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So its just a case of enduring it? :(

Or will my body get used to it and i will adjust? (ever hopeful, me)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm usually very cold, apart from when I'm having a hot flush (just started the menopause). I always seem to be wearing more clothes that most people. The people I work with laugh at me doing cardi on, cardi off, cardi on .... I also chill quite quickly after a hot flush.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I've amassed a collection of fleeces over the last 11 months as I've lost weight and I always have a hot water bottle at night, partly because of feeling cold and partly because of the ache in my leg on my stroked side that painkillers don't touch, but heat does.

casamorena

I have all that too; must be something to do with the low carbing because I have never had this problem in my life. Like you I am diet only (diagnosed nearly 12 years ago). I find nice thick warm socks really help and I wear them to bed sometimes too when the electric blanket doesn't help with the coldness. My sister has bought a circulation booster and swears her feet are warmer now than they have ever been in her life. Worth a try? They are too expensive for me. Good luck with the weight loss - diabetes improved tremendously when I lost a couple of stone.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
Now Im going to throw a spanner in the works here because, Im currently having a not so low carb time at the mo (long story), but I have been one of these people that are cold when others are hot, and when I get cold I chill to the bone very quickly, but I think this is links to my funky underactive thyroid playing its games, for a long time I would sit with hardly anything on and be in a constant state of hot flush when others were under blankets too. So in my case its not a low carb issue, but I recently got a Dreamworks small heatpad to go under the brooder of my quail chicks (they died, soo sad), but it was a human one so I use it in bed, it has 3 settings and a 90 min switch off, but it has helped me no end to actually get warm, and I now wear PJs where as I never used to like them and always used to wake up without them on. Laying on a heat pad when you have a chest infection is like heaven.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm cold too when other people are not 45 minutes in the swimming pool, exercising all the time and I'm shivering.
I wear fleecesand try to keep my fat consumption up.
Hana

ainz

Hi, glad this topic came up.

Since low carb diet, 2 months now, I'm also always cold. I've always been a 'hot' person but now my hands and feet are like ice most the time. Glad its not only me!

My sympathies!!