Very Very Newly Diagnosed.

lee1035

I am that newly diagnosed my results aren't even back.
I am 45 and had my first ever blood sugar test in the back of an ambulance after an accident.
The result of the test. 21.6. After a urine test confirmed sugar in it, my doctor basically told me I had diabetes but I am still waiting for my blood results.
The trouble is I am already terminally I'll with phase 4 metastatic melanoma. I only have 5 maybe 6 month to live.
I don't have the energy to be going on courses to learn about things. Is there a rough guideline on what percentage of sugar is ok or to high.? I have tried Googling, but just loads of adds come up.
Because of my cancer I tire so easy and cannot even normally be bothered to cook. Is there a list somewhere of things I'll be able to eat with very little or no cooking.
Sorry if this has been long winded. Lee.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lee1035 sorry to hear about your accident and diabetes and cancer.

Are you on any palliative medications? Steroids can push your blood sugar up.

Yes, blood sugar in the 20s is high, it should really be in single figures.

To be honest, if I were you, I probably would be tempted to just ignore any diabetic diagnosis. Type 2 can be treated with oral medication (metformin most commonly, which often causes digestive upset) or with diet and exercise involving fairly radical low carb diet overhaul to be effective.

The point of treating diabetes is mainly to avoid long term diabetic complications, that happen over years rather than months. High blood sugar can have some immediate symptoms - tiredness, hunger, frequent urination so if you are being bothered by these symptoms (over and above that which you would have anyway bearing in mind your other medical issues) you might consider avoiding really obviously sugary and/or carby things. But if these symptoms aren't especially apparent then I would just be eating whatever I fancied and making sure I was enjoying everything to the full.

Very best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have enough to cope with without worrying about your diabetes. If I were you I would accept it as a fact, but carry on with your life and enjoy every minute of it. I fully agree with @catapillar
Take care, and I wish you well.

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm also very sorry to hear of your terminal cancer. If you want to minimise your blood sugar then choose foods which are lower in carbs and increase the proteins and fats, but as others have said diabetes only causes long-term problems so make sure you enjoy your food.

lee1035

My mcmillan nurse told me it could be caused by the steroids I'm on. And yes, I was very thirsty, drinking up to 20 ltrs a day. I also had to go to the toilet loads. So unfortunately I will have to change my diet. I have however been feeling better these last few days just by cutting out chocolate and the other obvious things.
I hadn't realised diabetes was more a long term problem.
So I guess moderation could be the answer.
Thanks.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So very sorry to hear of cancer being terminal. Very important for cancer persons and diabetics to have meals with protein.
Eggs, milk,steak, chicken, corned beef.

However, as you say that often not wanting to cook is there anyway you could have a meal a day delivered?

Being terminal, you do have to consider the quality of life you have to enjoy.

When do you expect to have something in the way of medication/confirmation?

I would (if it was me) ask to have medication asap sorted...with levels in20's you need medication rather than trying to stop certain foods etc..your quality of life is still very important..

My cancer was breast amputation... And I know a little but my diagnosis wasn't terminal. However, it still impacts hugely on thinking about quality of life. I hope you can get medication as a priority as to me endless trips to loo and constant drinking is impacting on your life and should be relieved quickly..

Thinking of you..xx

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lee,

I too was diagnosed very recently (just before the weekend after the 2nd blood test). I was very concerned about the condition. However, reading your post really puts my situation into perspective.

I agree that the key thing that you must concentrate on is ensuring the best quality of life possible. Everything else should be secondary to that.

Best wishes to you and your family from me and my family.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lee, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I agree with the above posts in that quality of life is total priority for you so I wouldn't stress about the diabetes too much

However, I have to say, you might feel generally so much better in yourself with your glucose levels lower. Hopefully, your doctor will prescribe medication to help lower your glucose but also, by cutting out a lot of the carbohydrates in your diet, you would notice a significant improvement in how you feel in yourself. One thing I really like about reducing carbs and increasing fats is that I can enjoy some fruit and cream again!!!

Do what you feel most comfortable with regarding what you eat etc but don't worry about the long-term complications and try to enjoy some quality of life, eh?

Best wishes
Julie