Been given a Medtronic 780g with G4 sensors and I hate it. Do I have to keep it for the full four years?

Nemz7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was only offered this one pump, as was already using a DIY closed loop system. But due to pump being out of warranty (even though I had a spare) they made me switch pumps.

I’ve been on the Medtronic 780g and G4 sensor for four weeks on Friday and had endless issues with very high bloods, random G4 CGM updates and the CGM failing on me, as well as multiple pump attachment failures. I never had this with my old pump or CGM, and I was wondering the chances of being allowed a new pump or to go back to my old pump.

I’ve never had issues with previous pumps in the past so I don’t know how it works if you hate what you’ve been given.

Thank you

Jess1D

Sorry to hear that
I’m changing to the Medtronic 780 this afternoon-
What don’t you like about the 780? I’d advise ring your pump nurse & ask her

jmp21551

I have been on the 780G for over a year. The first few weeks were a nightmare. But after I had the transmitter replaced G3, it began to work well. It is not perfect but can work well if you get the parameters right. Also you must not lie to it. Carb counting is crucial.
My TIR’s can be 90%+. But it is not perfect.

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Be very caution when inserting the infusion set, you must twist the needle protective cap until it has fully released or you will pull the plastic infusion tubing up on the needle. This will lead to bending the plastic tubing during the insertion causing restriction of your insulin flow, this was something I noticed when transitioning from the 630G to the 770G. If you have a magnifier, examine the tubing after removal to determine if it is straight and it is not bent on the end of the tubing. I have learned that if you have a problem, take the time to examine every aspect of your procedure including using a microscope for your inspection. You cannot in reality depend on Medtronic to resolve your problems based on my experience with the pump.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Be very caution when inserting the infusion set, you must twist the needle protective cap until it has fully released or you will pull the plastic infusion tubing up on the needle. This will lead to bending the plastic tubing during the insertion causing restriction of your insulin flow, this was something I noticed when transitioning from the 630G to the 770G
May be helpful if you state which infusion set you use for this to apply to, for instance I use the Mio Advance sets and they don't work like that, press one button and its completely done (and in fact you cannot fiddle with it at all), I have used two other Medtronic infusion kits that required different fiddling though dependent on exactly which infusion kit you use

Reactions: DaisyBarberton

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May be helpful if you state which infusion set you use for this to apply to, for instance I use the Mio Advance sets and they don't work like that, press one button and its completely done (and in fact you cannot fiddle with it at all), I have used two other Medtronic infusion kits that required different fiddling though dependent on exactly which infusion kit you use
Watching the MIO insertion on youtube I see that the tubing is spring loaded and drops down when you remove the tape so that ask the question, when removing the tape does it generate any force on the plastic tubing perhaps pulling it down on the tapered shaft of the needle. With the method that they are using, you cannot be at fault for any insertion problems, but the tape could still be a problem. I would suggest when removing the insertion set, that you inspect to verify that the tubing in straight, if not then that would explain your problem. Then I would request one of the older types infusion set to see if that helps you. When removing the infusion set, I will pull up the tape on two sides for removal and then do an inspection. Of course, the tubing can be bent if you catch the tubing generating a lateral force on the insertion point, but that is abnormal and something you would remember having done. You can reply to Medtronic if you see a problem, but so far no one has replied to my findings with the cap removal problem.
If you see this problem after removing the tape, try using a needle pressing at a 45 degree angle or other device to press on the center of the infusion set to compress the plastic tubing back down to the desired position before insertion. This is based on the tape adhesive will be pulled outward when removing the coverings.

Last edited:

ClaireJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I’ve been on the 780G for 11 months and can certainly empathise with random G4 CGM updates and the CGM failing on me! I was even sent a new G4 sensor transmitter but still have the same problems with sensors only lasting 4 days before needing replacement. And I constantly check I am inserting and securing properly in line with the tutorial shown. I just don’t think it likes active people who move around lots! Smartguard is a nightmare. Settings are generally too high - I have had to program a lower high blood glucose alert and it’s very frustrating that the minimum level you can set smartguard targets at is 5.5 - personally I would have preferred 5.2 or 5.3. In Smartguard it doesn’t give you a bonus to bring blood sugars down like it should; I am sick of having to tell my pump that I am having carbs when I don’t in order to give myself a manual bonus and bring glucose levels down from 8.5 to 5.4 - 5.9 level. You’ll hopefully learn to cope with it after you’ve had longer to get used to it, fingers crossed for a replacement which suits!

ClaireJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Postscript to the above re calibration when you put in a new sensor. The CGM doesn’t like it when finger prick blood test readings differ from it‘s reading. They can differ by a surprising amount as the CGM measures interstitial fluid not blood. I was advised by Medtronic not to input/ask pump to accept a blood test result which differed greatly, but allow time for the CGM reading to become a bit nearer the blood measure (“catch up?!) and test again in an hour or so and calibrate from the test reading nearer the CGM reading. I wouldn’t have known this without speaking to Medtronic- hasn’t helped with the issues I have above though!

Postscript to the above re calibration when you put in a new sensor. The CGM doesn’t like it when finger prick blood test readings differ from it‘s reading. They can differ by a surprising amount as the CGM measures interstitial fluid not blood. I was advised by Medtronic not to input/ask pump to accept a blood test result which differed greatly, but allow time for the CGM reading to become a bit nearer the blood measure (“catch up?!) and test again in an hour or so and calibrate from the test reading nearer the CGM reading. I wouldn’t have known this without speaking to Medtronic- hasn’t helped with the issues I have above though!
Good morning Claire. I feel so much better reading your and other people’s messages about the problems with the 780g and the guardian 4 cgm. I’ve been using the system for the last 8 months and have experienced a whole range of issues that had me in floods of tears at 3am. I couldn’t pair the sensor with the pump which happened during a sensor replacement - the transmitter wouldn’t pair with pump which happened after 3 hours of data transfer ( there’s no data as a new sensor inserted) followed by the calibration not accepted for 2 hrs. Basically I was without the pump for 8-9 hours.
I had a transmitter replaced and the pump replaced as it had an error 43 -pump restart needed.
The guardian 4 is very tricky to insert on the arm singlehanded. You definitely cannot put the under/overlay tapes! I resorted to using the Not just a patch and it’s brilliant. My average sensor life has gone up from 4 days to 6-7, only recently.
Medtronic helpline told me that 6 days is counted as a full expected life of the sensor, not 7??!
Claire, I have set my own high and low limits 6 and 4.6 mmol as I can’t run the high levels set by Medtronic. It doesn’t always work and I still have to give myself corrections. I’m still learning how to master it. My Time in range is between 87-100% in both SG and manual.
And I was given the same advice when it comes to calibration- not to include the blood test results if they’re different from the cgm and wait till they get closer. But that’s just missing the point of testing.

Reactions: Gordontoo

Markymarksf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a 780 I appreciate bs is different to insertional fluid but if you 2.9 bs and 6.2 (no alarm as in range) sensor what should u do wait a hour till it catches up!!!! (Rather u then me)

Also had probs other way says between 9-9.5 last 8 hours then when test 15

Updating sensor seems to happen a lot after3 days now if not 4 days left big M won’t send you another replacement (hint there)

If you don’t test you never know how bad these sensors are (in my opinion)

Givin up believe in big M just as **** as any other cgm

Doc has now limited m finger strips down to 50 per month used 4 tonight as said was low then could not calibrate “not accepted” !!! Should I go on !!!! Medtronic your stupid **** systems should accept a proficient person can accept values correctly without asking for a re try especially in early hours of morning when trying to sleep !!!!

Medtronic keep saying faulty sensor send me new ones —- just me that gets them faulty it would appear how lucky I am :)

The time it takes to load a sensor is ridiculous 2 hour to get upto speed then 1/2 hour waiting for the battery to warm up is a joke this is the 21 century not 1850
Another sensor company has throw away sensor inc battery’s !!!! Are they really that expensive and a hour wait time to labour as well

Have talked many times to Medtronic why I go hypo at 3-4 in the morning as there is no visibility of the basal who knows how much is active at any time requested another place to show active basal but alas Medtronic don’t want to give you a good tool to fight problems as no body has any problems with a Medtronic system (only me)

Come 0n Medtronic pull your finger out and become competitive!!!!!!
-1 out of 10 No I would never recommend big M for anything

Reactions: Gordontoo

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Givin up believe in big M just as **** as any other cgm
Welcome to the forum @Markymarksf Sorry you're having so many problems with your g4 sensors.
I have no experience of Medtronic, but have used Libre 1 and 2 in the past with xdrip and found most of them pretty accurate. Am now using Dexcom G6 and found it extremely accurate.

My point being that not all cgm's are rubbish!!

The difference between finger pricking 10 times a day and having a cgm is like night and day for some of us!!

Markymarksf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am aware of the differences between interstationfluid and blood glucose however when they are so “inaccurate” and Medtronic say it’s just me that’s my point !!

I put a new sensor on yesterday waited x hours for the sensor to become active then after 30 mins went updating for another 2 hrs. Is this really my issue my sensor was 5.6 yet blood glucose was 15. Who am I ??

You appear to be happy I’m glad about that but there is always some who are struggling throu their fault or the manuf who knows my health is suffering that’s all I know.

The manuf don’t want to know any probs as that becomes expensive

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do your pump clinic say about the problems you're having @Markymarksf
Could you try Dexcom G6 to see if that's any better? I know you won't be on a HCL then, but if Medtronic sensors aren't working, if you found Dexcom worked for you, maybe that's an option to consider?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @Markymarksf

Could you start a new thread on this ? Your replying to an old thread and the original posters may not be around anymore to respond.

Your GP should not be limiting your test strips, you need to advise them that you are type 1 and need access to strips, may require a letter to the practice manager or contact your DSN to tell them ?

My experience with new sensors is that they can be wildly inaccurate for the first 24 hours as they are 'bedding in' so checking on strips is vital.

Start a new thread and hopefully you will get more responses/visibility than here.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Markymarksf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI @Markymarksf

Could you start a new thread on this ? Your replying to an old thread and the original posters may not be around anymore to respond.

Your GP should not be limiting your test strips, you need to advise them that you are type 1 and need access to strips, may require a letter to the practice manager or contact your DSN to tell them ?

My experience with new sensors is that they can be wildly inaccurate for the first 24 hours as they are 'bedding in' so checking on strips is vital.

Start a new thread and hopefully you will get more responses/visibility than here.
Last post

Medtronic issue

Medtronic told me yesterday it is a transmitter problem as 14 months old strange they didn’t tell me a month ago

Can’t order have to go via clinic to authorise payment (every year)

Consultant in diabetic clinic said can’t give me any more strips / gp said same

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am aware of the differences between interstationfluid and blood glucose however when they are so “inaccurate” and Medtronic say it’s just me that’s my point !!

I put a new sensor on yesterday waited x hours for the sensor to become active then after 30 mins went updating for another 2 hrs. Is this really my issue my sensor was 5.6 yet blood glucose was 15. Who am I ??

You appear to be happy I’m glad about that but there is always some who are struggling throu their fault or the manuf who knows my health is suffering that’s all I know.

The manuf don’t want to know any probs as that becomes expensive
My friend, as a 780 user with the G4 sensor, I can tell you loud and clear, you are not alone, so please don't beat yourself up. Not only do we share the same problems with the hardware, we seem to have the same thoughts about Medtronics approach to customer care.
Keep smiling mate and carry on carrying on.

onlyme

I have many sensor failures, including 1 recently that didn't even get inserted. They're so tricky to insert. 2 weeks ago I put one on my ribcage, which ofter works well, then felt blood dripping down my leg!!!
Yesterday, I was told the sensor was updating and for only the 3rd time in several years, it worked for 12hrs+ before failing today. I used to phone regularly to report the failures but I'm trying to get the minimed software to show my reports, what a waste of time! I have the wrong type of mobile.
I dread having to replace sensors.
I suppose other systems are the same but Medtronic have so many problems.
The 780G is doing my head in!!