Vitamin C and type 2

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo, there was a link to the vitamin C study in the article. Not all of it is viewable, but part of it is...

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dom.13571

And for those just now catching up with this discussion, here's the link to the article describing the results of the study that Tipetoo found for us...

https://www.diabetesqld.org.au/medi...ntent=Vitamin+C&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au

I'm very particular about the vitamins I take. It appears that Dr. Humphries feels the same way. The vitamin C that she uses is Nutribiotic Buffered Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C Crystalline Powder. I ordered it a while back but haven't opened it yet. A 1/4 teaspoon (1/125 g) contains 1112 mg Vitamin C (as sodium ascorbate USP-FCC) and 137 mg Sodium (as sodium ascorbate USP-FCC).

Other ingredients: None.

Vegan and hypoallergenic.

Made without common food allergens such as milk, soy, egg, yeast, and wheat. Contains no rose hips, animal products, fillers, excipients, lubricants, binders, starch, colorings, flavorings, or preservatives.

pH 7.1. Made without gluten or GMO's.

Pharmaceutical Grade.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Wow......you guys are really into this topic........fair play, although a bit technical for me

Reactions: kitedoc

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Tipetoo, thanks for the really interesting article.
Winnie53, thank you for the detail on Vit C supplementation.

D

Deleted member 308541

Tipetoo, thanks for the really interesting article.
I first noticed the article mentioned in a Diabetes Queensland email, that they send regularly a couple of times a month this was in the last one.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, I tried the Nutribiotic Buffered Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C Crystalline Powder today. I measured what I estimate to be a 500 mg dose, put it in a shot glass, added an ounce of water, stirred, and drank it. It tastes salty, but not in anyway bad. Had to add water a couple more times to get all of the powder out of the glass. Just need a 1/8th (1/125 g) measuring spoon for measuring convenience now.

Went in to have another HbA1c this morning. Will take vitamin C for a month then retest. Hoping to get a good result. I'm very encouraged by the results of that study. Taking 500 mg vitamin C twice a day is easy compared to all the other things I have to do to manage my glucose levels!

@Traceymac23 give it a try for a month to see what happens. Can't hurt. And what type may not matter so long as it's a good quality brand. They used 500 mg Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) twice a day in the study. :)

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Okay, I tried the Nutribiotic Buffered Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C Crystalline Powder today. I measured what I estimate to be a 500 mg dose, put it in a shot glass, added an ounce of water, stirred, and drank it. It tastes salty, but not in anyway bad. Had to add water a couple more times to get all of the powder out of the glass. Just need a 1/8th (1/125 g) measuring spoon for measuring convenience now.

Went in to have another HbA1c this morning. Will take vitamin C for a month then retest. Hoping to get a good result. I'm very encouraged by the results of that study. Taking 500 mg vitamin C twice a day is easy compared to all the other things I have to do to manage my glucose levels!

@Traceymac23 give it a try for a month to see what happens. Can't hurt. And what type may not matter so long as it's a good quality brand. They used 500 mg Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) twice a day in the study. :)

Are you referring to the study done n Australia?

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

I might try this a bit further down the line of my journey but right now....just 10 months into diagnosis I have a lot of other basic stuff to get in to balance firs t and do 't want to cloud the judgement on those with a concurrent vitamins c e x experiment....'ll try it when I hit a wall though

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might try this a bit further down the line of my journey but right now....just 10 months into diagnosis I have a lot of other basic stuff to get in to balance firs t and do 't want to cloud the judgement on those with a concurrent vitamins c e x experiment....'ll try it when I hit a wall though

I don't do anything until I'm ready. I so understand!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes, the one Tipetoe found and provided the link for us. :)

It's probably the same one, but apparently there was no reduction in Hba1c, which I find curious given a 36% reduction in post meal blood glucose levels. So, I'm curious to see if you get a reduction or not.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's probably the same one, but apparently there was no reduction in Hba1c, which I find curious given a 36% reduction in post meal blood glucose levels. So, I'm curious to see if you get a reduction or not.

Yes, not sure if I'll see a reduction in A1c either, but currently, my glucose spikes are sometimes taking 5 hours to return to the pre-meal level, so if I can reduce that to 3 to 4 hours, that would result in less damage. I've never taken diabetes medications or used insulin, so my success or failure is purely based on what I eat, how much I exercise, and using every strategy I know to keep my glucose levels down. Lately, I've been eating 2 meals a day instead of 3. That's helped a lot. In two months time, I've lost 7 of the 18 pounds I regained over the last 3 years. Will report back in a month. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What effect does vit c have on meters?
Carol

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read an article about the benefits of Vit C and type 2 diabetes saying that it can lower your blood sugar levels. I have been taking 1000mg daily for 6 weeks now and can honestly say that this truly is the case, for most of the day I now have levels of a none diabetic, i am so happy with the results so far, what have you got to lose try it!
If you are happy and it works for you then thats all that matters. I would be prepared to give it a try as I feel now that I do not eat fruit that maybe I do not get enough Vit C and as you say there is nothing to loose by taking it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vit C is an important adjunct to B12 and folate in producing haemaglobin, without which we would most certainly suffer. So we need to take this vitamin either in our diet or as a supplement.

As an aside, I discovered that my use of a PPI med (or any antacid for that matter) reduces stomach acid, and also interferes in the absorbtion of iron into the body, so was giving me iron deficiency anemia. I make sure I have the PPI at bedtime well clear of all my meds and supplements. I now take a vit C fizzy to accompany my folate tab.

Here is a study done to see if Vit C affects insulin production in DM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8193273
Note it only has 4 participants in the trial, and used intravenous methods.

This study uses oral agents, and tests HbA1c as well as FBG and post parandial spikes. It seems to be a better quality study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3254006/

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are happy and it works for you then thats all that matters. I would be prepared to give it a try as I feel now that I do not eat fruit that maybe I do not get enough Vit C and as you say there is nothing to loose by taking it
Some vegetables have high vitamin C. For example a red bell pepper has about 3 times the vitamin C as an orange.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Yes, not sure if I'll see a reduction in A1c either, but currently, my glucose spikes are sometimes taking 5 hours to return to the pre-meal level, so if I can reduce that to 3 to 4 hours, that would result in less damage. I've never taken diabetes medications or used insulin, so my success or failure is purely based on what I eat, how much I exercise, and using every strategy I know to keep my glucose levels down. Lately, I've been eating 2 meals a day instead of 3. That's helped a lot. In two months time, I've lost 7 of the 18 pounds I regained over the last 3 years. Will report back in a month. :)

Nice steady sustainable progress

Reactions: Winnie53

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Some vegetables have high vitamin C. For example a red bell pepper has about 3 times the vitamin C as an orange.

I must admit I do like red bell peppers.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit I do like red bell peppers.
Ratatouille or its regional variations is a good way to consume low carb veg/fruit. Peppers, aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, mushrooms in lots of olive oil. What could be better unless you are a carnivore?