Vitamins & Supplements

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I would like to know what vitamins / supplements other diabetics take? There are so many out there that it can get quite complicated.

I like to take Co-Q10 as I take statins but without wanting to waste too much money I would like to know what other 'essential' vitamains should we take. I know my GP said that Vit D3 is the only vitamin he takes. I've wondered whether to take a probiotic supplement (I don't like yoghurt) and Omega 3 and the other one cropping up a lot these days is Magnesium. I have read that taking a multivitamin is a waste of time and money so I just want to narrow it down to the important and essential ones.

Any advice please? thanks

Reactions: leslie10152

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only one I take is Alpha Lipoic Acid as it is one thing that is sparsely found in food. Otherwise, nothing. I am a great believer in finding out if I am deficient in anything before pushing things in my mouth. If deficiency symptoms appeared, or my blood tests showed a deficiency, I would consider taking some, but not otherwise. I try to get everything from my food.

Reactions: carina62 and dbr10

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The only one I take is Alpha Lipoic Acid as it is one thing that is sparsely found in food. Otherwise, nothing. I am a great believer in finding out if I am deficient in anything before pushing things in my mouth. If deficiency symptoms appeared, or my blood tests showed a deficiency, I would consider taking some, but not otherwise. I try to get everything from my food.

That's interesting, can you tell me more about Alpha Lipoic Acid and why as a diabetic you take it? I am on quite a lot of medication so don't want to take too many vitamins/supplements.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only take it because it is helps neuropathy, which I have (mildly) in my feet as a result of chemotherapy 4 years ago. I has helped me a lot.

Reactions: carina62

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just one supplement, a high strength Cod Liver Oil (Seven Seas).

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I take vitamin B12 on prescription and D in the winter as I've been low then. Alpha Lipoic Acid sounds interesting, will do a bit more reading about that - thanks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I take vitamin B12, Calcium+D3, BCAA, and L-Arginine. that's about it.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can I ask what brand of alpha lipoic acid you take? I'll research this further as it does sound interesting.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm very interesting in this alpha lipoic acid I have somr of my fingers numb and tingling would alpha lipoic acid help with that and which make do you buy Thanks

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I order from swansonvitamins.com. I've tried several others but these suit me best. R fraction alpha lopaic. Amazing stuff. But do your own research.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I order from swansonvitamins.com. I've tried several others but these suit me best. R fraction alpha lopaic. Amazing stuff. But do your own research.

I have just looked at the website but it is a US site, is there one for the UK? thanks

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kristin251 can you tell me what mg you take as there are different ones and double strength Thanks

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I would like to know what vitamins / supplements other diabetics take? There are so many out there that it can get quite complicated.

I like to take Co-Q10 as I take statins but without wanting to waste too much money I would like to know what other 'essential' vitamains should we take. I know my GP said that Vit D3 is the only vitamin he takes. I've wondered whether to take a probiotic supplement (I don't like yoghurt) and Omega 3 and the other one cropping up a lot these days is Magnesium. I have read that taking a multivitamin is a waste of time and money so I just want to narrow it down to the important and essential ones.

Any advice please? thanks
Be cautious with magnesium. As a diabetic, magnesium in high dose can damage your kidneys. They are already under stress from glucose passing through the filtration system. Get sound advice before you embark on suppliments, remember you are living with an illness that is hard on the vascular system, the heart, liver and kidneys. Always be cautious!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just looked at the website but it is a US site, is there one for the UK? thanks
I'm pretty sure they ship to the U.K.
I have used many of their supplements in the past and they are always high quality. If they don't ship, try Amazon and as mentioned look for the R fraction
If you get the regular you're only actually getting 1/2 the dose as the R is the absorbable part. I've tried 2 other brands but prefer Swanson. I hope they ship to the U.K.

Reactions: Freema and carina62