Volcano walk

lely

Hi guys. When on holiday in fuertuventura this year there Is an opportunity to walk up a volcano as a group. I would really like to take part but as we all know the heat can make BG unpredictable. I do have a pump so could have that turned off for a couple hours prior to walk and try to have no active insulin in my system. The walk is approximately 5 miles. I'm fit and healthy otherwise.
Should I go into a hypo, i would have lucozade etc with me but is there anything stronger that I could take with me.
Thanks in advance.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys. When on holiday in fuertuventura this year there Is an opportunity to walk up a volcano as a group. I would really like to take part but as we all know the heat can make BG unpredictable. I do have a pump so could have that turned off for a couple hours prior to walk and try to have no active insulin in my system. The walk is approximately 5 miles. I'm fit and healthy otherwise.
Should I go into a hypo, i would have lucozade etc with me but is there anything stronger that I could take with me.
Thanks in advance.

Hi @lely

I've not been to Fuerteventura but if it's anything like the Mt Teide volcano on Tenerife, you'll start out hot at the bottom and be ******* cold at the top.

I think some diabetics have problems with extreme cold as well but it hasn't affected me so far.

Not sure what you mean by stronger? If you mean faster acting, you can get products like Glucojuice and Glucogel but I'm not sure how much extra benefit they offer over Lucozade.

lely

Thanks @urbanracer I don't think it's gonna be that moutain like. people have described it as a little rough underfoot but otherwise a good walk. No one has described it as a challenge so maybe it's not that high. But I hadn't considered the change in temp at the top if it is.
I do hate the fact I over think every. Think I'll just get there and see what it's like, maybe visit the site before the day of the walk and make a desicion then.