Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cucumber, Olives and Racism.
Hi,

Today I woke up and checked my blood sugar levels and they are too high (13.6)!
I thought the salad sandwich and apple I had last night would be Ok, apparently not!
What should I do about this?

Do I not eat at all until they fall, or is there something else I can do to lower them?
My mobility is impaired and I have emphysema and asthma, so radical exercise isn't really an option unfiortunately.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason your levels were high was the amount of carbs you ate last night. Bread is very carb heavy, and apples can be difficult. Are you testing before you eat and 2 hours after first bite? That will tell you what your food choices are doing to your levels. Any rise from before to after needs to be under 2mmol/l, preferably less. This way of testing will teach you much more than your morning fasting levels.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi Bob - on the odd occasion I've had a nasty high start to the day I have always had a virtually carb free day to kind of re-set my BG.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi Bob. I am a wheelchair user and I have managed to lower my bg by restricting carbs alone. I cannot excercise either but by counting the carbs and testing my bg I have learned what foods raise my levels too high. So it can be done, maybe not as fast as able bodied people do but fast enough. Good luck.

Reactions: wolfie53

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Today I woke up and checked my blood sugar levels and they are too high (13.6)!
I thought the salad sandwich and apple I had last night would be Ok, apparently not!
What should I do about this?

Do I not eat at all until they fall, or is there something else I can do to lower them?
My mobility is impaired and I have emphysema and asthma, so radical exercise isn't really an option unfiortunately.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Bob.
I used to have that issue and occasionally still do - this morning I was at 4.9 - how was I able to keep it down - my last meal yesterday was at 7 pm and it was just one pork chop and some blue berries - nothing else. I find that as a Type 1 the only way I can keep my BGs relatively normal in the mornings is to eat no later than 7 pm the night before and have barely any carbs. Every time I deviate from that my morning BGs usually end up in the 11 - 13 range.
It was a tough adjustment to make and I do occasionally deviate from that but that's okay. Anyway, try a nice piece of steak for dinner with some mushrooms and see where your BGs are in the morning. I'm a Type 1 but I suspect having carbs before you go to bed has the same affect on both Type 1s and 2s.
All the best and good luck!

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Bob-111 ..
I agree with @Bluetit1802 above in that it looks as though you are eating too many carbs. You are aware that your blood sugar levels are high and the key point to take on board now is that managing and controlling your diabetes through diet, whatever exercise you can manage and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant dvice and positive support about LCHF on the forum

I see that you have already been contacted by @ daisy1 and I suggest that you re-read the valuable information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It's good that you are testing and I'm sure you'll find that adopting an LCHF lifestyle will soon bring your levels down. I recommend that you test before meals and then again two hours after you started to eat. Some folk also take a fasting blood sugar reading immediately on waking. You will soon develop your own testing pattern which will enable you to monitor trends over time and to spot any foods that cause your blood sugar to "spike" or fall ouside the normal ranges.

Hope this helps

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The reason your levels were high was the amount of carbs you ate last night. Bread is very carb heavy, and apples can be difficult. Are you testing before you eat and 2 hours after first bite? That will tell you what your food choices are doing to your levels. Any rise from before to after needs to be under 2mmol/l, preferably less. This way of testing will teach you much more than your morning fasting levels.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I tested when I got up and before I ate anything and I do always test over 2 hours after a meal.
The Bread I'm using is the one recommended (Bergen: Soya and Linseed) so it's the best I can get.

So far I haven't found anything that causes so small a rise as you've suggested (<2mmol/l), even the fish and salad main meal seems to give me some rise.

Should I be fasting until the levels are down?

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to have that issue and occasionally still do - this morning I was at 4.9 - how was I able to keep it down - my last meal yesterday was at 7 pm and it was just one pork chop and some blue berries - nothing else. I find that as a Type 1 the only way I can keep my BGs relatively normal in the mornings is to eat no later than 7 pm the night before and have barely any carbs. Every time I deviate from that my morning BGs usually end up in the 11 - 13 range.
It was a tough adjustment to make and I do occasionally deviate from that but that's okay. Anyway, try a nice piece of steak for dinner with some mushrooms and see where your BGs are in the morning. I'm a Type 1 but I suspect having carbs before you go to bed has the same affect on both Type 1s and 2s.
All the best and good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but as far as pork chops and steak are concerned they aren't an option as I'm a vegetarian who has now compromised and started eating fish but I won't be eating any red meat or chicken no matter how bad things get. I eat vegetarian sausages for breakfast which are very low in carbs and poached eggs, so lots of protein.

I will take the no eating after 7pm on board though.

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So far I haven't found anything that causes so small a rise as you've suggested (<2mmol/l), even the fish and salad main meal seems to give me some rise.

What do you put in your salads, and is the fish coated with anything?

Fasting is always a good plan. The easiest way to start is by skipping breakfast and eating lunch and tea in a 6 hour window. You may find you need something fatty on rising to reduce any liver dumps, such as a coffee with cream.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Bob-111 ..
I agree with @Bluetit1802 above in that it looks as though you are eating too many carbs. You are aware that your blood sugar levels are high and the key point to take on board now is that managing and controlling your diabetes through diet, whatever exercise you can manage and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant dvice and positive support about LCHF on the forum

I see that you have already been contacted by @ daisy1 and I suggest that you re-read the valuable information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It's good that you are testing and I'm sure you'll find that adopting an LCHF lifestyle will soon bring your levels down. I recommend that you test before meals and then again two hours after you started to eat. Some folk also take a fasting blood sugar reading immediately on waking. You will soon develop your own testing pattern which will enable you to monitor trends over time and to spot any foods that cause your blood sugar to "spike" or fall outside the normal ranges.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I looked at the Low Carb Diet Forum and clicked on the list of 'recommended' foods. I was dismayed at the prevalence of meat. As a vegetarian I have a particular issue with this kind of diet. I have compromised my vegetarianism and started eating fish but I cannot eat red meat or chicken as I refuse to support those industries for animal husbandry reasons.

It seems I'm in for a very difficult time. Hi ho. :(

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I looked at the Low Carb Diet Forum and clicked on the list of 'recommended' foods. I was dismayed at the prevalence of meat. As a vegetarian I have a particular issue with this kind of diet. I have compromised my vegetarianism and started eating fish but I cannot eat red meat or chicken as I refuse to support those industries for animal husbandry reasons.

It seems I'm in for a very difficult time. Hi ho. :(

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Have you looked in the vegetarian sub-forum for some ideas?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What do you put in your salads, and is the fish coated with anything?

Fasting is always a good plan. The easiest way to start is by skipping breakfast and eating lunch and tea in a 6 hour window. You may find you need something fatty on rising to reduce any liver dumps, such as a coffee with cream.

Hi,

I put some butter on the fish and some parsley with salt and pepper and bake it in the oven. The salad was a simple mixed leaf salad, occasionally it will be a crunchy salad with strips of carrot. I put a little French or Balsamic/Olive Oil Dressing on it, along with salt. That's it.

I have fasted before, when I was younger I did several three-day fasts, although I really wouldn't want to repeat that nowadays.

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering if it is time to re-visit your GP.
Some medication may help at this stage.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi,

Thanks for the advice but as far as pork chops and steak are concerned they aren't an option as I'm a vegetarian who has now compromised and started eating fish but I won't be eating any red meat or chicken no matter how bad things get. I eat vegetarian sausages for breakfast which are very low in carbs and poached eggs, so lots of protein.

I will take the no eating after 7pm on board though.

Kind Regards,

Bob.
Do you eat bread when you have Vegetarian sausages, Bob? Only Veg sausages range anything between over 5 grams of carbs to 9. something per two sausages. The trouble with the vegetarian food they seem to bulk out foods with either cereals or breadcrumbs which can push the carbs up quite high : ( Maybe the apple played a part in your sugar rise?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some of us protein will raise us if over eaten. 58% of protein turns to bs

I see the dressings you're using are very carby and as a dressing it's liquid sugar. Balsamic can be very high in sugar. Same with French. Could you try a creamy one like Parmesan peppercorn, Caesar, olive oil with a lemon squeeze. Or oil and red wine vinegar? There are some nice yogurt based ones or mayo based ones.

I make mayo based ones with horseradish, hot sauces or mustard. Just mix it up and thin with water.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you eat bread when you have Vegetarian sausages, Bob? Only Veg sausages range anything between over 5 grams of carbs to 9. something per two sausages. The trouble with the vegetarian food they seem to bulk out foods with either cereals or breadcrumbs which can push the carbs up quite high : ( Maybe the apple played a part in your sugar rise?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The vegetarian sausages are Cauldron Cumberland and have a carb content of 3.75g per sausage. The sugar is very low. I don't have any bread with the breakfast. I was advised by the nurse to substitute my 'chocolate problem' with an apple as it had 'better' carbohydrates in it. I only have one after a meal instead of a dessert.

The mid-day lunch is a leafy salad sandwich (Bergen Soya and Linseed Bread - as recommended by someone here) with some mayonnaise, salt and a little balsamic/Olive Oil dressing.

My main meal is currently baked fish (with some butter and herbs) with either a vegetable stir-fry or another salad. It's starting to get very monotonous and I am always feeling hungry.
I think if it wasn't for the fish 'compromise', to my vegetarianism, I wouldn't be eating anything but vegetable stir-fries and salads!

Standing and stooping in the kitchen, preparing food, is quite painful, due to my back injury so I try to make things which are quick to prepare, or that I can set cooking for a while. While I could prepare bulk food like Bolognese sauce with Quorn Mince, freezing it and boiling some pasta when I needed it, it was quite easy. But All that has had to change since I can't eat pasta now.
The mobility problem is one of the reasons I couldn't become Vegan (apart from not being a good enough cook! LOL! )

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Last edited:

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For some of us protein will raise us if over eaten. 58% of protein turns to bs

I see the dressings you're using are very carby and as a dressing it's liquid sugar. Balsamic can be very high in sugar. Same with French. Could you try a creamy one like Parmesan peppercorn, Caesar, olive oil with a lemon squeeze. Or oil and red wine vinegar? There are some nice yogurt based ones or mayo based ones.

I make mayo based ones with horseradish, hot sauces or mustard. Just mix it up and thin with water.

Hi Thanks,

I'll change to Caesar, although I've not been using a lot of the dressing, a cap-full at most. I saw Balsamic on a list of 'free foods' somewhere so I thought that was Ok to use. My options seem to be diminishing rapidly.
That's very bad news for me if I can't rely on protein, I'm stuffed if that's the case!
I thought Mayo was a no-no until I saw it on the vegetarian forum. I'm still unsure about a lot of things I see listed as 'Ok'. I was told by a Type II diabetic friend that porridge was good at lowering blood sugar levels but apparently it's not, except for him, it seems.
This seems to be getting worse and worse.

This is the problem I'm finding: that what works for one person doesn't work for another.

The Nurse's advice was: "Don't worry, you need some carbs to fuel the body, just eat a healthy diet in moderation." and "You don't need to test yourself." - really useful!
I thought two slices of Bergen Bread a day was very moderate, but apparently it's not.

I think if I had limitless resources I could find the top quality foods to eat but when you're on ESA it's difficult to find healthy food on a budget. :(

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am wondering if it is time to re-visit your GP.
Some medication may help at this stage.

Hi,
I'm very wary of side effects and I already take a lot of pain killers and other pills. Don't really want to add to them if I can help it. I was told it would be quite easy to control Type II by changing my diet, but it's proving to be harder than 'advertised'.

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I'm very wary of side effects and I already take a lot of pain killers and other pills. Don't really want to add to them if I can help it. I was told it would be quite easy to control Type II by changing my diet, but it's proving to be harder than 'advertised'.

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Sometimes our bodies are a bit "worn out" and need some help. I agree, I personally won't take any medication unless it is to save my life. I've had enough chemicals infused in my bloodstream, I don't want any more. However, high blood sugars can lead to nasty complications, so sometimes it is necessary to get a bit of chemical help, at least initially.

My suggestion is for you to keep a food diary that includes everything, and I mean everything, in that meal. Count the carbs in that meal. It could be you are missing some of the hidden ones. You said the sandwich you had was Bergen bread. How many slices did you have, how many carbs did that add up to, what was in between the bread. How many carbs in your apple. All carbs count including those in vegetables. Just a thought.