Walking pre- or post-breakfast?

finzi1966

I’m type 2 on metformin and dapaglifozin. Last HbA1C 64 in August but according to MySugr has dropped to 48 since starting keto (I think this is probably over optimistic! My bloods are mostly between 7 and 8, have had the odd 5 or 6.)

One thing I’ve noticed is that exercise while fasted seems to push my blood sugar UP, not down. Is this possible? Today I changed things round and had breakfast *before* walking the dog (poor thing - he was crossing his legs!).

I’m getting a Libre2 (self funded) soon so that should help clarify but I just wondered, any advice on whether I should stick to my old routine or change?

Reactions: Speedbird

sgm14

One thing I’ve noticed is that exercise while fasted seems to push my blood sugar UP, not down. Is this possible?

It is possible. My blood sugars usually rise when I start walking, but then usually after 10 minutes they start to fall again.

However, there are so many factors to take into account and if you are walking before breakfast, then it is also possible that the rise is due to the Foot on the floor / Dawn Phenomenon.

It is impossible to say whether walking before or after breakfast is better for you, but seeing that you think your figures are improving, then if you are getting the Libre2 soon, I would wait until then before changing your routine (if only for your dogs sake).

Reactions: finzi1966

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 on metformin and dapaglifozin. Last HbA1C 64 in August but according to MySugr has dropped to 48 since starting keto (I think this is probably over optimistic! My bloods are mostly between 7 and 8, have had the odd 5 or 6.)

One thing I’ve noticed is that exercise while fasted seems to push my blood sugar UP, not down. Is this possible? Today I changed things round and had breakfast *before* walking the dog (poor thing - he was crossing his legs!).

I’m getting a Libre2 (self funded) soon so that should help clarify but I just wondered, any advice on whether I should stick to my old routine or change?
The Libre'll let you know what's true for you, but I have both walked with breakfast and without... And when I walked without, my bloods would go up first, (liver dump) and then drop down later. If I have a zero carb breakfast, which I usually only do when I know there's a good chance I'll fast through lunch until dinner, my bloods go down. I just figure, if it's out of my liver, I'm good, so I'm not worried either way. I'll decide whether to eat or fast based on what the rest of my day looks like, not on what my bloods are doing, as I know that'll sort itself out without going into "bad" ranges.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Seems to me that your liver is taking the opportunity to get rid of some of its stored glucose. It's usually tucked away out of sight, it's only when your liver move's it out of storage into your blood that you know it's there. It's not just exercise that can cause it, your body will use almost any excuse to use up its excess glucose, exercise, missing meals, an argument with someone, etc, etc. Some people try to stop the liver doing its thing by eating something low carb to stop the liver dump. Personally I would rather see those stores used up before I put any more carbs in

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible, but it can be coincidence as well. With the Libre it's much easier to spot patterns, so you should be able to find out with some experimenting. :)

A third option besides first breakfast and then walk or the other way around is to do the walk while munching on a piece of cheese or such, pretty sure the dog would appreciate it!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've learned from experience, that a walk postprandial is better to control your blood glucose levels. If you want to you can go for more than the morning walk. Fifteen minutes after eating for fifteen minutes walk.
If you do suffer from dawn phenomenon, then you should test pre meal half hour after getting out of bed. Because by the time you have prepared breakfast and some other things, your glucose levels should have dropped sufficiently to get to fasting levels. And a more accurate pre and post readings.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Post meal walks have been proven to lower the peak of a potential rise and the duration of blood glucose- so this is low hanging fruit for everyone interested; the old saying about walking off your dinner is accurate

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I look at this way as a Type 1 (We inject insulin for our Carbs)

exercise after breakfast I reduce breakfast insulin.

For Example for me
60 min walk by circa 15%
60 min Jog by circa 30%

Why because exercise makes us more sensitive to Insulin, just like a type 2.

However
should we eat after exercise we still more sensitive but

For Example for me
60 Min walk no reduction in Insulin
60 Min Jog 15% reduction

finzi1966

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies! Can’t wait to get started with the Libre2 - in fact, it arrived yesterday but I am having my flu jab today so I decided to wait until that was over with (sore arm? side effects?) before putting it on me.

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies! Can’t wait to get started with the Libre2 - in fact, it arrived yesterday but I am having my flu jab today so I decided to wait until that was over with (sore arm? side effects?) before putting it on me.
A flu jab can uo your sugars for a bit, so for the sake of an experiment, yeah... Maybe wait a while. ;)