want to sleep cant sleep

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
Type 2 been following hflc diet for a couple of weeks. . BG levels really improved. . Slight weight loss. . All is going well it seems. . But I'm darned if I can sleep at night. . It gets me down and would love to know if this is normal any helpful suggestions received gratefully

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No naps (assuming you don't take them) moderate exercise in the afternoon, stay up late and crawl into bed when you're ready.

No other ideas I'm afraid.

Reactions: 2 people

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
No I don't take naps. . Chance would be nice and have been really trying hard with excercise walking instead of catching buses where I can and doing some more general exercises at home as well. . Must just be me. .

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Doubt that MizzRyan

Back to your GP would be my first route. Might be a bit of stress in there as well. Take care

Mike

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try and make sure you are relaxed just before going to bed. So no exercising, action movies etc just before hand. Also remember that any backlit computer devise, tablet, smart phone etc, has a blue light which is the end of the spectrum that wakes us up so try not to use anything like that before hand. A quiet book under an old fashioned orange light can often help, and make sure your room is as dark as possible when you turn the light off.

Try and keep off anything caffeinated for several hours before you go to bed, and anything your body thinks should be caffeinated, decaf coffee and coke last thing if you have been drinking the real thing during the day can fool your body into thinking its had caffine. Also try and eat as early as possible in the evening, preferably at least 3 - 4 hours before hand to give your body time to have digested everything.

Try and learn some basic meditative techniques as they can help relax you before bed and while you are trying to get to sleep. And I know its easier said than done, try not to worry about not sleeping while lying in bed, worrying will keep you awake and lying quietly with your eyes shut can be almost as good at recharging you as actual sleep.

Its a bit extreme but some of the Sunrise Simulator alarm clocks have a setting to help you get to sleep as well as a wake up setting. The normal alarm has a light that comes on gradually from about 30 minutes before the alarm goes. The night setting does it in reverse which is meant to help the body get ready to sleep. I got one a couple of years ago to try and help me get up as I am very dawn to dusk orientated, and at about £100.00 it seemed very expensive for an alarm clock but in winter it has been wonderful I actually feel awake when I get up. However all the reviews do say to get the good ones rather than the cheaper options as there is something special in the light spectrums they use.

Hope you manage to get a goods night sleep soon.

Reactions: 4 people

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
Well iv exercised today and been out and done a bit of the garden. . We shall see what happens later... I do try to switch off and relax its really frustrating. :-o

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you managed to get some sleep last night.

While I don't like recommending tablets for things if everything else keeps failing it might be worth seeing your doctor for help.

Alternatively, pick a subject that you find really boring and buy or borrow a text book on that subject, I can remember some of the books from my degree cause were garrenteed to send me to sleep, and at least if it doesn't work you might be able to get a qualification in the subject.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a favourite dvd of Rear Window the original with Jimmy Stewart much as I love the film I have never managed to watch more than the first 15 mins before needing to go to sleep, works for me every time

C

catherinecherub