Wanting an insulin pump

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I been on injections all my life since I was 4 and now I 31 yrs of age and want to go on the pump . I don't know much about it but I do believe it gives you quality of life meaning u can relax when it comes to insulin giving as it in pump and u dnt hve to stick a needle in yourself .
nowadays younger kids get the pump and they hve good control.
I have spoken to my healthcare team and they have said the reason why I not on the pump is cause they think the injections are working but I don't thery don't listen to how I feel or want to listen to me I know my own body the way I think etc . I on here to get advice on how I go about this and how do I get my healthcare team to listen to me .

please feel free to reply I be happy with some help or any advice thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You still have needles stuck in you.. Just that they stay stuck for 2-3 days.

Reactions: 2 people

Annietw1493

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heya. I've been diabetic for 12 years and had a pump for 10 of them. I think it is the best tjing ever and woyld never go back. Some people don't like them but they are very few and far between. Even if injections are working for you, a pump might be better and might give you a better quality of life, speak to them and see what they say. I find it gives you that freedom with eating and sport. Also when you're ill you can easily change your basal to help with high sugars.
If it is something you want to try I would push for it.
If you have any questions about using or living with a pump just ask xx

Reactions: 5 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I was type1 for over 52 years and have just started on a pump.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@head323, have a look at INPUT, it has some great information & advice on insulin pumps and the process involved in getting one on the NHS, you can also contact them if you have any queries:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They have provided you a system to manage your diabetes and it works, why should they fork out £1000s just because you ask?

(being devils advocate!)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few thing to think about considering your team aren't throwing their pumps out thew door like some clinics:

Do you test more than 4 times a day?
Do you basal test and dose adjust regularly?
Do you suffer from regular hypos?
Do you suffer from Dawn Phenomenon?
Is your HbA1c over 8% and been so for a while despite your best efforts?
Have you had Dose Adjustment training?

If you can answer most of those questions with a yes you have a good case for the pump and you will need to start building some evidence of blood sugar readings, basal and bolus testing etc.....

Good luck to you...........;)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I've been diabetic since i was 3 and am now 35 and have just got a pump as a result of being pregnant. I'm still undecided about it and whether i'll keep it once i'm past pregnancy and breastfeeding (i've had it for 9 weeks now). Sometimes it gives me greater freedom. A lot of the time it gives me greater worries over what might be going wrong. I've had a lot of trouble with infusion sets and sites and i'm still nervous with each set change whether it will work. I still have to keep to some low carbing and calculated exercise to keep my bs in range.

It's very good for dawn phenomenon and making adjustments as my insulin needs suddenly fluctuate and this is the only pregnancy i haven't had a coma in so definitely good on that front. But i don't find it the magic solution i hoped it would be.

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hia - I've been type 1 for 27 years and on a pump for almost 4 of them. I'd never go back!

I can't tell from your post if you are male or female so my response may not be helpful but I got a pump because I was pregnant (my first was premature due to diabetes related polyhydramnious) and was then allowed to keep it until I'd stopped breast feeding (2 yrs later). I then had to apply to keep it but as I'd been on it for more than 2.5yrs they couldn't really say no, especially as my HbA1C didn't go above 6.5 the whole time I'd been on it.

I hear lots of people saying it's down to the county you live in and their policy on supplying pumps - keep on asking and make it very clear the reasons why you want to give it a go. You could apply directly to the PCT (or similar) who will fund it but will need your consultants backing

Good Luck

Reactions: 3 people