Wanting to make bolognese are these ingerdients ok to use?

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank all, I bought my meter on amazon so it hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to using it and seeing what I can and can't have. Got my first appointment at the diabetic clinic tomorrow. I feel so much better now I've gone low carb and I'm gonna tell them that but from what I read online they usually encourage diabetics to have starch with every meal! I wonder if they will say I'm doing it all wrong but I don't see how I can be. After months and months of being so ill to feel so much better now after going low carb must mean something I'm doing is right

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They probably will tell you to eat carbs with every meal, You can just nod and keep quiet if it makes life easier, or try to discuss it, but you know how much better you feel and it will show in your weight control and blood sugars, so carry on what you are doing is my advice. Good luck!

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
They probably will tell you to eat carbs with every meal, You can just nod and keep quiet if it makes life easier, or try to discuss it, but you know how much better you feel and it will show in your weight control and blood sugars, so carry on what you are doing is my advice. Good luck!
Yeah I was thinking of just keeping quiet and just agreeing with them. Saves the hassle lol

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone tell me the difference between tomato paste and tomato puree I have never seen paste so I always use puree in my mince and soups and usually some passata

Thats sounds lovely I just love Chilil con Carne haven't had any for a while makes me want some now
I thought the difference between tomato purée and tomato paste is nothing what so ever. As in in Britain it's purée and in America it's paste but could be wrong

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
how will I make it saucy with just a tin of tomatoes though? Should I make a stock with the oxo cube? or would that make it all too watery?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm not having pasta with it just the sauce. I will give it a go and do what you all advised. I'm such a rubbish cook, honestly I can spend ages cooking something and it tastes vile when I've finished lol.
Look at dawnmc.s post above.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't see much to worry about in that recipe. I used the following when I started: Ragu alla Bolognese – Authentic recipe adapted, ie, without milk.

I used skirt steak, sliced thinly and let it simmer for 3 hours. Skirt makes a wonderful gravy, so no stock required.

Pasta is not as bad as many people think as it is made from semola, coarsely ground flour but to be sure, use a wholewheat pasta. I always find Buitoni is good for me. Just be careful with quantities. I use 60g portions not 80 or 100g.

I can never find triple concentrate paste so I use the usual double concentrate in a tube and add in some finely chopped sundried tomatoes. I also use anchovies rather than salt. Both of these just disappear into the sauce with the long cooking time.

If you have a slow cooker, you can thrown all the ingredients in at breakfast time and put it on low. You will have a fantastic sauce when you come back.

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
Oh sorry i presumed tomato paste was everywhere. Paste is a concentrated puree. If you can't get paste then puree is ok but will need more reducing to get the richness of paste in your bolognese.

Btw jars of tomato sauce for bolognese etc have loads of sugar in it. Read the labels.
And if you follow noblehead's cooking advice and like it, good for you and him, but i assure you, the guy doesn't have a clue about good cooking. Food should not reek of garlic. Properly cooked garlic has a subtle but distinctive flavour and you don't need a lot of it to get its benefits. You must sauté it first, not chuck in near the end. Doing it that way will possibly cause you reflux and stomach discomfort.

Re the people who want you to eat starch, there is a general slowness to come around to low carb for diabetes (and weight management) by some in the medical community. Its just because they haven't yet done much reading and its about moving from an old position to a newer one. There was has been a lot of debate about the diet since its early days but meanwhile those who promote it, have done quite a lot of studies disproving their concerns. Also others have done studies which disprove their concerns. The only studies that have not yet been done are long term ones that may show up other factors to worry about or otherwise, show what a great diet it is. I'm currently reading a book which is arguing that the whole nutrition science field is pretty hopeless. But anyway you would find it of great benefit to read some decent books about low carbing if you are going to follow this diet. You owe it to yourself to understand a bit. Dr Atkins is a very easy read and although its a bit promotional, i think it would be a good book for someone new to low carb to read first. It will also help you a lot with how you manage your diet. But bear in mind, doing the whole induction route is not essential, although it helps if you want to burn fat for energy rather than carbs. you can usually find his books in secondhand book shops. And there is a website on it.

There are also some great low carb recipe books around. Check out your local library.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Oh sorry i presumed tomato paste was everywhere. Paste is a concentrated puree.

Btw jars of tomato sauce for bolognese etc have loads of sugar in it. Read the labels.
And if you follow noblehead's cooking advice and like it, good for you and him, but i assure you, the guy doesn't have a clue about good cooking. Food should not reek of garlic. Properly cooked garlic has a subtle but distinctive flavour and you don't need a lot of it to get its benefits. You must sauté it first, not chuck in near the end. Doing it that way will possibly cause you reflux and stomach discomfort.
that would be an opinion Sunspot. We are all different.

Reactions: 4 people

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
An opinion backed up by professional cooks and traditional cooks. But as i said, if you like this way of cooking go for it.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your suggestions. Will be making it tomorrow :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Charming I'm sure....................:rolleyes:

That's quite a bold statement to make considering you know nothing about me or my cooking Sunspot, I could say the same about you but what would be the point as I've never tasted your food and have no idea what your diet consists of.

As for the garlic, I use a Chinese garlic which is bought from Lidl, it has a mild flavour to it but has all the goodness that garlic has to offer, so the food doesn't 'reek of garlic' as you subtly put it.

Rick Stein much like most tv cooks is a big fans of adding garlic to food, there was a repeat of his tv series Rick Stein's Spain over the weekend and he was visiting a garlic farm, the health benefits of garlic are many and the Spanish people consume loads of it, they even make a Garlic Soup........lol They put down their longevity to eating garlic and one should never be afraid to cook with it or adding too much, we use it in stews, casseroles, shepards/cottage pie, stir-fry's, curry's and even chop it up and add it to salads :)

Reactions: 6 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Spanish people consume loads of it, they even make a Garlic Soup.......

I eat it whole roasted with courgettes, aubergines, red onions mixed peppers and any other vegetables I might have, Mediterranean vegetables, lovely with chicken breasts stuffed with blue cheese and rosemary wrapped in bacon.

IMG_1616.jpg

About to go in the oven.....I cant see any garlic in this pic but I usually put a load in, you cant eat enough garlic....

Reactions: 5 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat it whole roasted with courgettes, aubergines, red onions mixed peppers and any other vegetables I might have, Mediterranean vegetables, lovely with chicken breasts stuffed with blue cheese and rosemary wrapped in bacon.

IMG_1616.jpg

About to go in the oven.....I cant see any garlic in this pic but I usually put a load in, you cant eat enough garlic....

that looks very nice - another idea for tea me thinks.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are somewhat changing subject.
I think that it is the 'Anglo-Saxons' that are reluctant about garlic. They sell and use vast quantities in the market here.
Here are some recipes to keep off the vampires

How about aioli to serve with the roasted veg or to dip your crudités or prawns into?
.http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aioli_81090

Elizabeth David's iconic roast chicken http://www.riverfordfarmshop.co.uk/chicken-with-forty-cloves-of-garlic.php

This ones really traditional, a garlic soup
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Le_Tourin
Serve in an earthenware bowl and when you've had some of the soup, pour a little red wine into the remainder of the soup to 'faire Chabrot.
(although these old pictures suggest that a big bowl and rather a lot of wine used to be used)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chabrot

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've prepped it all and it's in a pot waiting to be put on later to simmer away for a good while. I'll let you know if it tastes any good later.