Waterproof Plasters Guardian Sensor

My daughter has type 1 and has a Guardian sensor. She cannot use the supplied Metronic plasters, as she is allergic to them & bring her out in a rash. We are going on holiday in the summer & she will be spending a lot of time in the pool & sea. Can anyone recommend what they use to keep the sensor on? Last year we lost a sensor, as it came off in the sea.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I've had success keeping libre and dexcom sensors on using rock tape and before that I tried tegaderm but I found those a little sweaty. Im not sure where she can wear Guardian sensors but if she has a choice then go for arms over tummy as that way they spend less time in the water, Pool water is the worst because of the oil from people's suncream. I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Reactions: EllieM

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter has type 1 and has a Guardian sensor. She cannot use the supplied Metronic plasters, as she is allergic to them & bring her out in a rash. We are going on holiday in the summer & she will be spending a lot of time in the pool & sea. Can anyone recommend what they use to keep the sensor on? Last year we lost a sensor, as it came off in the sea.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you looked at a website called typeonestyle? Not sure if they will have the right patches but they do a whole range for different sensors. I also have massively sensitive skin and these are the only ones I've found that stick well, stay on and most importantly don't irritate my skin. They also come in some cool designs.

CHRISXX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Graeme McBurnie,

There are adhesive wound dressings called Opsite / Opsite Plus which I have used after having surgery and they have a central pad which has a very good adhesive border around it - because the dressings are for use after surgery the adhesive should not be anything that should irritate the skin near a healing wound so would hopefully be O.K. for your daughter.

These are basically big plasters for covering surgery wounds and come in various sizes so don`t let the term Surgical dressing put you or your daughter off - the one`s that I had were clear in colour covering a white pad inside.

The Opsite dressings / big plasters are waterproof to protect surgical incision healing - I was having long hot showers with them on and the adhesive was never affected - they definitely stay stuck until you want to change them - I don`t know about swimming / spending a lot of time in the sea but if these dressings will not stay on no other plaster would.

Although mine were supplied by the Hospital you can buy them just look for Opsite Surgical dressings or similar - there are a lot of different sizes some of the really large sizes are expensive but smaller sizes are reasonably priced.

There are quite a few listings on Amazon - one example size 12cms x 10cms in a pack of 10 = £9.99.

I would have included a link but I don`t know what size you would need - the sizes are the external measurements - from memory the adhesive border around the pad is quite wide - the adhesive goes from the edges of the plaster to quite close to the pad - when you are working out which size you need.

Something that I noticed - some listings seem to show liquid permeable dressings which are obviously not waterproof those must be designed for a particular medical / healing requirement - so check that the specifications of any listing that you look at state the waterproof variety.

My Regards, Chris

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EllieM

CHRISXX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SORRY TO MEMBERS FOR USING ALL CAPS - MY USUAL KEYBOARD HAS MALFUNCTIONED AND AN OLD ONE THAT I HAVE FOR TEMPORARY USE UNTIL A NEW ONE IS DELIVERED HAS THE FAULT THAT IT IS STUCK ON CAPS.

NOT EVEN A BRIEF / ONE WORD REPLY TO MY OR THE OTHER MEMBERS MESSAGES ABOVE.

I CAN ONLY TYPE USING EITHER JUST ONE FINGER OR USING AN ONSCREEN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE CLICKING ON EACH INDIVIDUAL LETTER - AS YOU WILL KNOW EITHER OF THOSE METHODS TAKES MUCH LONGER TO WRITE MESSAGES THAN SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY TYPE WOULD TAKE - PROBABLY 10 TIMES LONGER ?

ALTHOUGH I HAVE EXPERIENCED OPs / PEOPLE ON OTHER FORUMS NOT RESPONDING TO ME AND OTHER MEMBERS MESSAGES / ATTEMPTS TO HELP MANY TIMES WHEN MY ATTEMPT TO HELP DOES NOT EVEN MERIT A ONE WORD / THANKS REPLY I WONDER WHY I BOTHER TRYING TO HELP ON ANY FORUM.

PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE THE QUESTION IN THIS THREAD IS PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE THAT I WOULD EVER THINK THAT I COULD BE HELPFUL WITH ON THIS FORUM THAT NOT GETTING A REPLY HAS SLIGHTLY IRRITATED ME.

I REPLIED ON THIS THREAD BECAUSE I HAVE USED THE OPSITE ADHESIVE DRESSINGS / LARGE PLASTERS WHICH I THOUGHT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR THE OPs DAUGHTER.

I AM GUESSING THAT THE GUARDIAN ON SKIN SENSOR WOULD BE AN EXPENSIVE ITEM WHICH IS WHY I TRIED TO HELP.

I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO HELP WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT DIABETES BECAUSE I HAVE NO EXPERTISE / NO EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT IT - I HAVE BEEN ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT MY DIABETES - NOT BEING ABLE TO ANSWER ANY MEMBERS QUESTIONS.

I DO FEEL A BIT FOOLISH / A BIT OF A WALLY FOR POSTING THIS - AND I INTENDED IT TO BE A BRIEF MESSAGE - BUT I FEEL THAT MEMBERS POSTING QUESTIONS SHOULD AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE PEOPLE WHO THEN TRY TO ANSWER / TRY TO HELP THEM.

IN THIS CASE NOT JUST ME BUT ALSO THE 2 OTHER MEMBERS WHO REPLIED BEFORE ME.

CHRIS

Reactions: sninge

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SORRY TO MEMBERS FOR USING ALL CAPS - MY USUAL KEYBOARD HAS MALFUNCTIONED AND AN OLD ONE THAT I HAVE FOR TEMPORARY USE UNTIL A NEW ONE IS DELIVERED HAS THE FAULT THAT IT IS STUCK ON CAPS.

NOT EVEN A BRIEF / ONE WORD REPLY TO MY OR THE OTHER MEMBERS MESSAGES ABOVE.

I CAN ONLY TYPE USING EITHER JUST ONE FINGER OR USING AN ONSCREEN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE CLICKING ON EACH INDIVIDUAL LETTER - AS YOU WILL KNOW EITHER OF THOSE METHODS TAKES MUCH LONGER TO WRITE MESSAGES THAN SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY TYPE WOULD TAKE - PROBABLY 10 TIMES LONGER ?

ALTHOUGH I HAVE EXPERIENCED OPs / PEOPLE ON OTHER FORUMS NOT RESPONDING TO ME AND OTHER MEMBERS MESSAGES / ATTEMPTS TO HELP MANY TIMES WHEN MY ATTEMPT TO HELP DOES NOT EVEN MERIT A ONE WORD / THANKS REPLY I WONDER WHY I BOTHER TRYING TO HELP ON ANY FORUM.

PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE THE QUESTION IN THIS THREAD IS PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE THAT I WOULD EVER THINK THAT I COULD BE HELPFUL WITH ON THIS FORUM THAT NOT GETTING A REPLY HAS SLIGHTLY IRRITATED ME.

I REPLIED ON THIS THREAD BECAUSE I HAVE USED THE OPSITE ADHESIVE DRESSINGS / LARGE PLASTERS WHICH I THOUGHT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR THE OPs DAUGHTER.

I AM GUESSING THAT THE GUARDIAN ON SKIN SENSOR WOULD BE AN EXPENSIVE ITEM WHICH IS WHY I TRIED TO HELP.

I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO HELP WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT DIABETES BECAUSE I HAVE NO EXPERTISE / NO EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT IT - I HAVE BEEN ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT MY DIABETES - NOT BEING ABLE TO ANSWER ANY MEMBERS QUESTIONS.

I DO FEEL A BIT FOOLISH / A BIT OF A WALLY FOR POSTING THIS - AND I INTENDED IT TO BE A BRIEF MESSAGE - BUT I FEEL THAT MEMBERS POSTING QUESTIONS SHOULD AT LEAST ACKNOWLEDGE PEOPLE WHO THEN TRY TO ANSWER / TRY TO HELP THEM.

IN THIS CASE NOT JUST ME BUT ALSO THE 2 OTHER MEMBERS WHO REPLIED BEFORE ME.

CHRIS
Please try not to let the non-reply upset you. Sometimes people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they forget to acknowledge replies, without realising that it is time-consuming to write detailed answers.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When we reply to a question, we don't know who our answer will help at the time, and also in the future. For instance I read your reply to this post @CHRISXX and looked up the Opsite dressings you mentioned, as I thought they may help someone I know.

It's always helpful when you reply to a message to put an @ before the person's name, so they know there's a thread they're following.

CHRISXX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please try not to let the non-reply upset you. Sometimes people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they forget to acknowledge replies, without realising that it is time-consuming to write detailed answers.
Hello ElenaP,

Thanks for your message, I do know that human nature is often as you described with regard to replying on a Forum.

I have experienced not receiving replies to what I knew was very useful information many times on some Forums for quite technical matters / Construction Engineering / Construction technical trades for example - many times even where there had been no other answers to quite technical questions except for mine.

If I was involved in a thread where I was responding to messages without adding any new information / answering the original question I would not have even the slightest concern / irritation about not being replied to by the OP or other participants but as I did add to our other Members suggestions I thought that we merited at least one reply perhaps thanking all 3 of us.

Anyone looking at my content on this Forum would be able to see that when I post a thread I then reply to EVERYONE who responds to me - I just feel that it is the correct way to behave and show my gratitude foe Members messages / help.

Thanks again for your message ElenaP.

My Regards, Chris

P.S: I wish that I had seen before writing my previous message that Member Graeme McBurnie had only recently joined about a week ago / 17th May to post this thread - perhaps he found something suitable and then went away on holiday a few days ago and has been away since ?

If that has been the case I would have been a bit harsh in criticising him.

If You went away soon after posting this thread Graeme I apologise for my previous comments.

P.P.S: I have borrowed a family members laptop computer to write this and the reply to Member Hopeful34 so that I don`t have to type in all capital letters again tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElenaP

CHRISXX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we reply to a question, we don't know who our answer will help at the time, and also in the future. For instance I read your reply to this post @CHRISXX and looked up the Opsite dressings you mentioned, as I thought they may help someone I know.

It's always helpful when you reply to a message to put an @ before the person's name, so they know there's a thread they're following.
Hello Hopeful34,

Thanks for your message and I am glad to hear that the Opsite dressings / big plasters might be helpful to someone that you know.

Do You mean that for example when I replied to you above that I should type: Hello @Hopeful34 ?

I have seen something like that [adding the @] used many times on Forums but I did not know why.

What does adding the @ before the Members Forum name actually do ?

I know that on most if not all Forums Members can opt in for Forum replies notification emails so if you are participating on a thread you will receive notifications when the next Member submits a message so I am interested to find out what adding the @before a Members Forum name does ?

Thanks again for your message.

My Regards, Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @CHRISXX thanks for your reply.

Yes that's what I meant. Putting a @ before a members name, shows them that they've been mentioned in a thread when they next go on the forum. So when I came on, I saw a number 1 next to the alert (bell shaped symbol) and when I clicked on it, it said you'd mentioned me in this thread and brought your post up.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP and CHRISXX

CHRISXX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @CHRISXX thanks for your reply.

Yes that's what I meant. Putting a @ before a members name, shows them that they've been mentioned in a thread when they next go on the forum. So when I came on, I saw a number 1 next to the alert (bell shaped symbol) and when I clicked on it, it said you'd mentioned me in this thread and brought your post up.
Hello again Hopeful34,

Thanks for that - I did not think about adding the @ creating an alert / notification that a Members Forum name had been mentioned in a message - different to receiving a thread reply notification.

Chris

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Graeme McBurnie I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and apologise for not doing that last night.

I hope you have found something that will keep your daughter's sensor on, and have a lovely holiday.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pipp
Hi all & thank you for your suggestions for the plasters. I will have a look into what people have said & let you all know the outcome. I appreciate the time and insights into other peoples experiences.

In regards to not replying, first of all, my apologies. I have been extremely busy since I posted on the forum (working 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week in 2 jobs) & actually forgot I had posted on here, until I seen a generic email from the site. Once I seen the email, I looked to see if I had any replys. I've never really posted on social media/forums, but assumed once someone had replied, I would get some form of notification. Again apologies for any misunderstanding & I appreciate the time people have taken out their day.