Wearing a pump at Centreparcs

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I am off to CentreParcs next week and was wondering what the best way to deal with my pump is while swimming and going down the watersides and rapids etc.. I have a Medtronic Minimed 640g. My plan was to have the cannula between hip and backside so I can pull my trunks over the top and to hold the pump still with a belt I use for when playing squash.

Do people think thats going to be ok, or anyone had any experience of using one in this situation. I am guessing the waterproofing will be fine.

Many thanks in advance.
Nik

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not type 1 so don’t have to deal with a pump, however I’ve been to Center Parcs many many times. The rapids are a rough ride, you get thrown about and bashed on the sides a lot. You’re supposed to sit or lie on your back going down but you can get flipped over so I’m not sure where would be the best place for you to site it. Aside from it becoming detached I would worry the pump would get smashed :eek:
Is disconnecting it an option the rapids take around two minutes to go down?

Reactions: Juicyj and Kevin259

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Moodle I've been on the slides at Centerparcs and would definitely agree about removing it, for the sake of 10-15 mins of fun it's worth it to save your pump taking a battering, I also wear the 640g and altho appreciate it is waterproof I would also remove it - also are you taking a quick acting pen with you ? As you can always top up from your pen whilst not wearing the pump, obviously check the calculation carefully but it would solve the issue of not wearing it and take the pressure off a bit.

Reactions: Rachox
D

Deleted Account

Whenever I have been somewhere that means I spend long periods of time in water (e.g. at a spa or in the sea), I remove my pump but not my cannula.
I temporarily reattach the pump every hour, test (most of the time) and manually give myself a bolus equivalent to 1 hour of basal.
This does not require me to keep my pens with me and allows small doses.